trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should have bought a kit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

I knew I should have bought a kit. I just received my chassis from GDS, and it is supposed to fit all reason amps boxes... Well it don't. I have to fabricate some plywood wings so it will fit. More than that I bought a set of Heyboers, and the Power tranny doesn't fit the opening cutout inthe chassis. Even more than that the Output tranny holes don't line up either. This my fault not GDS. they fit fine.
Its supposed to be a tmb plate, and I think its a trem plate.

I got screwed from ampwares, sent most of the stuff, but left out 6 tube sockets, and is not answering my e-mails. The sozo's I ordered over 2 months ago, has not yet arrived. John did return one e-mail stating he just sent them, 1 month ago, and he said there is no tracking # available.

Anyone else having these problems?

I think I am going to just go buy a classic 30......

Bob

Last edited by bevins on Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:39 pm 
Friend
Friend

I can't think of anything bad enough to make me want to buy a classic 30. But all kidding aside, I am very sorry to hear this. Sourcing parts is only nice if you know who you're dealing with, exactly what you're getting, how long it takes them to turn around the shipment, and how much the S&H charges will be. If you don't know who to trust up front, forums like this are a great way to find out.

You could always save those Heyboers for another build or sell them, and then buy a set from Graydon that fits. His are made by heyboer, so they're very nice, and the price is killer IMO. Plus, he's a nice guy to deal with. The cabinet dilemna doesn't sound like too big a deal, but I can understand your frustration with MIA parts orders. Hope it eventually all works out for you. CraigB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

I bought the chassis and Heyboers(18watt) trannies from Graydon. I thinks he is on vacation now, or he just got back. I got an e-mail to him, which he usually returns e-mails quickly.

I will fix the cutout in the chassis to make the tranny fit and and do the same with the OT.

The parts are a pain. In another thread about piping someone said its only three to four dollars a foot and at 4 feet thats not that expensive. Well....GST, Customs, adds up.

Sorry about that, I am ranting needlessly. I should just fix it and shut up...:-)

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Sourcing parts is the major pain. That's why, a kit, even though it seems like the sum of the parts os more than what you think you should pay, is [usually] a smoother road.

I'm stunned the Heyboers don't fit considering they came for the same source. :? I would be interested to hear the story when you get a response.

IMO, I would not alter anything unitl you hear back.

And those mounting boards - after I made my first cab, and installed a chassis, I knew why they needed to be standard [and are].

Anyhow, I've been toying with the idea of trying to put together a low cost, quality kit, but I wanted to leave out the transformers, or make a deal with a supplier to save people a lot of duplicate shipping costs.

Should we have a poll and see what price points people think the 18 and 15 kits should be?

Who knows, I may be able to make it happen! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yeah, well I feel stupid now. I will chalk it up to first time build. Graydon got back to me and said you have to pull the wires back to get the transformer in. It is really a tight fit. I thought I was going to pull the leads of the transformer.

I will make some wings tommorrow to fit the chassis, and I am back in line....

I would vote.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Now that makes sense. It is tight fit, so why don't we make it 1/8" wider?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think probably its like that looking at it, because the mounting holes are to close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:16 am 
Novice
Novice

I will cut mine out to take into consideration of the wires.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:05 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bevins wrote:
I knew I should have bought a kit....Anyone else having these problems?

Checked the Want Ads lately? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

I just saw it. Very cool!!
You know I still haven't received my sozo's. I am waiting for them. I really goofed up with my parts. I wish you would have done the kit earlier. My brother in-law wants me to build him one. He wants to hear mine first.

As soon as mine is finished, I am sure he will want one and I will try your kit.

How do the S2 trannies compare to the Heyboers? Do we know this data yet?

I think its really cool your deal. Is the cabinet included? What if we want to build our own combo? Whats the $ diff?

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

It says introductory offer. IS this an indefinate thing going on here? That would be cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bevins wrote:

By all accounts, they are very good. s2 has done some really nice work. s@, can you provide us with your test results??

bevins wrote:
Is the cabinet included? Bob
Sorry man, amp only!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:02 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Oh, and maybe you'll want to try out a 15 sometime!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

bevins wrote:
I just saw it. Very cool!!
You know I still haven't received my sozo's. I am waiting for them. I really goofed up with my parts. I wish you would have done the kit earlier. My brother in-law wants me to build him one. He wants to hear mine first.

As soon as mine is finished, I am sure he will want one and I will try your kit.

I think its really cool your deal. Is the cabinet included? What if we want to build our own combo? Whats the $ diff?

Bob

I think they sound awesome ;)

Seriously, there are more than 20 of them out there so the reviews should start coming in soon. There are already a couple floating around on the 18 Watt site. In a nutshell, the top is clearer, mids are smoother, and bottom is less muddy. Of course, they are also much easier on the eyes and don't look they were run over by a truck like the Heyboer OTs do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

I noticed on the special Stephen is promoting, it talks about a choke. Do we need a choke, or can I use the big cans like I do with the Heyboers. don't people use a choke with SS rectifiers?

Just curious,

Bob