Post subject: VRM Install
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:46 am 

Attachment:
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg [ 54.9 KiB | Viewed 4974 times ]
Attachment:
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg [ 69.61 KiB | Viewed 4974 times ]
This is my first post so bear with me.Ok so I have a VRM I am trying to install in a Vox AC30CC1.as I understand it I am going to put it in place of the power switch right?ok...so I have removed the switch and attached to the power switch are 4 wires.2 of the wires go to the power transformer-red and black.The red wire from the power trannie also has a green thermistor? attached to it.It is labelled SCX 152X.Should I leave it on?with the VRM install?There are red and black wires coming from the 3 prong cord .It has a T4L250V small fuse in it.So which of these 4 wires goes to the top of the 1M VRM pot?Where do the other 2 wires go if not on the VRM?The standby switch has 2 wires attached -one white wire going to the PT,one grey wire going to the HT fuse which is a 250v 500mAL.What do I do with these wires or at least with the grey wire from the fuse?I do have the install guide which is informative but my problem is the amp wiring and making it work with the VRM.I have modded 4 other amps before and installed PT ,etc,but this is a bit difficult for me a bit of advice would help greatly.Thanks.

Attachments:
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg [ 85.55 KiB | Viewed 4974 times ]

Post subject: Re: VRM Install
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:27 am 

:oops: Ahhhh....Seeing as nobody is able to help at this point I have been experimenting myself while using a current limiter that I built thanks to Gerald BBQ.I think I have it licked and I will post again after work when I know for sure.Just need to move one more wire and I should be good to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You need to interrupt the line voltage power line with the switched contacts and then you need to interrupt the B+ line that goes to/from the standby switch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:48 pm 

Yes, thank you Stephen.I realised all of this shortly after I really applied myself to the "problem".However, shortly after figuring this all out I took the amp off of my current limiter thinking I was done and okay but when I turned on the amp I had no sound nor did the standby light come on.I am not a trained electrician and I do not have a bunch of test equipment to see what is wrong with my amp.So I have modded all 4 of my amps to some degree or another and I have read 4 of Gerald BBQ's books.That is my cumulative schooling and knowledge of tube amps.My friend is a real tech and he DOES have a lot of knowledge and test equipment so sometimes when I get stuck I do ask for help ,but not always.Don't want to wear out my welcome.So,at this point I thought I had blown my output transformer,but it was just the GZ34 that had died.So I replaced my rectifier with a NOS 5R4GYA that I had and I was good to go again.As I do not have a huge amount of money to spend I backed off of the install just in case I did accidentally blow up my amp,as I already have a Marshall in the shop costing me money.I also think I was rushing a bit too, as my wife doesn't always like me working on my amps on the living space coffee table-it is my only work space.We are space challenged here so that is where I have to work.I will continue the install maybe when she goes away to Ottawa to visit next month.One question I have is this-If I have blown the MOSFET(I do not know if I have)can I just purchase another or do I have to order another on my own?I have read the troubleshooting pages you sent many times over so I will test it before I start looking for another.So... the line voltage I need to interrupt is considered an "input"?to the VRM,right?and the to/from the B+ line is a input/output,so to speak ,right?Does the HVOUT terminal actually go to the pos. of the 1st Filter cap?As for the 2 lugs on top of the pot-does my red wire from the mains fuse go to what is called on your instructions "from Mains Fuse/Power?And the other lug takes the other red wire from the power transformer,the one that has a varistor on it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:13 pm 

I only became aware of all of this after giving the "issue" my whole attention. But soon after I realized everything, I removed the amplifier from my current limiter, believing I was finished and good to go. However, when I turned the amplifier on, neither the standby light nor any sound came on.

rocket soccer derby