PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Do you use one?
What brand?
How well does it work?
How easy is it to use?
Does it transfer well to your PC?
What editing software do you use afterwards?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I use an older Zoom H2. Works great... no complaints. It's great for recording band practices because you can set it up in the middle of everyone and with it's front and rear mic mode you can easily pick up everyone with a separate track for each mic. Another cool thing about it is that you can power it off your guitar pedalboard or a plain old guitar pedal wall-wart.

If all I want to do is clean up the audio, like taking out silence and maybe normalizing it, I just use Audacity. If effects or other more drastic editing is required, I will pull the tracks into my DAW of choice which is PreSonus Studio One.

I have to say though that I am seriously considering the Zoom R16 for band rehearsals and other on-location recording. It's small-ish has 8 mic pres and two on-board "room mics." It also doubles as an audio interface! It's not battery-powered though, so that makes it a little less portable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I was able to borrow an older H2 to try and it did some decent recording. I need to sift through them and pull some clips out ans see what I can do with them. I set it to WAV format files.
I think I have cubase LE somewhere. Is is OK for editing?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Oh yeah Cubase LE will be fine as long as you don't want to do anything drastic. Some of the "LE" versions of stuff are pretty limiting and won't let you save as MP3 files for example, but certainly give it a try as long as you have it.

Cool thing about Audacity is that it's free and pretty nice for general quick-n-dirty editing and audio format conversions. It has a pretty smooth learning curve too.

I'm mostly happy with the sound quality of the H2. It's not "album quality" or anything but it does pretty well for what it is. I've even seen people use it as an "interview mic" quite a bit too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:06 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I might try audacity. I remember cubase as being a little tough to use. i need simple!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah I would think even the LE version of Cubase would have a pretty steep learning curve.

BTW, thanks for getting my OSD kit out so fast! I got the shipping notice today! I sent you an email about the possibility of a flat-pack unfinished OSD head cabinet... don't know if you do that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

dtp wrote:
Yeah I would think even the LE version of Cubase would have a pretty steep learning curve.

BTW, thanks for getting my OSD kit out so fast! I got the shipping notice today! I sent you an email about the possibility of a flat-pack unfinished OSD head cabinet... don't know if you do that sort of thing.

We don't do a flat pack, unfinished cab perhaps??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:50 am 
Experienced
Experienced

that's a possibility... PM or email me what it would cost to make and ship.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Check this out...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5490#p35465v