Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dc-15-ish amp
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:18 am 
Friend
Friend

Hey,

I'm in the process of tweaking a DC-30 variant. It's half power (2xel84) and has a 6AK5 in place of the EF-86. I'm calling it the porkchop, because my workbench is in the kitchen right now, and that was what was cooking when I got it in working shape. Anyway, looks like this:

The 6AK5, IMO, is a viable alternative. The thing sounds really good in this circuit. I've tried TungSol, Phillips, Sylvania, and Mullard 6AK5's and they all sound good. The pentode channel has a certain gutsiness, whereas the 12ax7 channel is smoother. They go well together.

I'll have sound clips up in a couple of days.

-neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:36 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice job on the Pork Chop. This may be of great interest here!

How are you switching channels? Did you build a board, or do point to point? I wWould like to see more details, i.e. your schematic, layout, interior pics etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:37 pm 
Friend
Friend

Stephen,

I'm not switching channels; the inputs of the two channels are bridged. If I were to do it again, I would build a single channel version with only the pentode section. Both channels sound great, but the pentode section is simpler, and has a bit of sparkle that the triode section doesn't have.

I built it point to point using terminal strips. i laid the strips out like a tagboard, which makes it very easy to cut and try components.

Here's an interior shot:

From the shot above, it should be clear that 12 x 10 is too small of a chassis for such an amp. More than once I considered starting over with a bigger box, but instead I promised that I'd not make the same mistake next time.

It's a bit of a spaghetti bowl, but the hum is tolerable and gets swamped by the hum from most pickups.

The schematic is essentially the same as a DC30 with a few differences:

-only 2 EL84's in the output section. More like a Lightning output.
-6AK5 instead of EF86. This 7-pin signal pentode sounds great and is way cheap.
-Instead of a 6-position switch tone control for the pentode channel, I used a spdt switch and chose 2 caps that sounded best to me. Right now, that's 330pf and 1000pf. That could change any minute, though. The switch is marked "brilliant" and "sinister".
-5AV4 instead of 5AR4 rectifier, a 5AR4 would drop in. The difference in sound escapes me, however, and NOS 5AV4's are inexpensive.
-Tone control caps and bright caps are different. I'm still experimenting with these.

I'll draw up an as-built schematic once things settle in.

I'll have some mp3's done by midweek.

-n

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:19 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
6AK5 instead of EF86. This 7-pin signal pentode sounds great and is way cheap.

What is it about the 6AK5 (equals EF95) make it sound special? Is it close to te EF86 sound? Did you have any problems with microphonic 6AK7s?

Really interested in seeing your schematic.