trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi All,
This is my first post so please be gentle! :D I hope this is the correct section to post this in. I'm planning to purchase and build my first amp, some version of the Trinity18. I'm going through the research process of deciding what options to order and what mods, if any, should be incorporated for my intended use of the amp. In regards to the VRM option, I have a few questions and ideas, based on a couple assumptions.
First, the assumptions:
A-The "Scratchy Pot" issue doesn't occur until a certain level of attenuation has been reached. Moderate volume attenuation does not cause this problem.
B-The removal of the 1M resistor combined with the addition of the cap, at least slightly, attenuates some high frequencies/brightness.
C-The "Scratchy Pot" problem does not have any effect on amp operation except when rotating the pot???

Ideas/Questions:
A-Instead of a potentiometer for control, why could we not use a multi-position, multi-pole, three deck switch like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rotaryswitch.gif
to do the deed? This would allow:
1-Deck #1 to switch between a progression of fixed resistors for the attenuation.
2-Decks #2 & #3 to ONLY switch in the 1M resistor removal & cap addition once the offending level of attenuation is reached.
B-This arrangement would make it so that the loss of highs was limited to lower volume levels and let the "full glory" of the amp's tone shine through when used at higher volumes.

I'm really looking forward to this new journey of amp building, even though I've been warned that it may become addictive. Any and all thoughts and comments will be truly welcomed.
Thank You,
Gene

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

A stepped attenuator is not a bad idea at all. As for all the additional extras, I don't see a need . The DC blocking cap, and relocated 1M is only necessary if you scale the whole amp. You can try just scaling the power amp section. This is described in our VRM manual.