trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trinity Combos vs. Heads
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm curious which Trinity kits are available in head form, combo form or both.

Anybody know for sure?

And amongst those available in combo form, are any with front facing controls (like a Blackface Fender) or are all with top facing controls (like a Tweed Fender)?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Triwatt is not available in combo exactly but you could mount it Tweed style, tubes in.
Tweed is not available in head exactly but you could mount it In a head style, tubes pointing back.
Rest are available in both styles and the combos are Tweed style .

Some guys have built a TC15 with a custom plate, blackface combo style.

Anything is possible!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks Stephen.

Any plans for any of the current or upcoming designs being offered as combos with front-facing controls like a Blackface amp?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Actually, yes.. Any one in particular!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Really curious about the TC15 or Triwatt as a combo with forward facing controls. I suppose a little more interested in the TC15 for a number of reasons. I guess the Triwatt would make a good head that I'd probably use with the same cab I use for my sIII V6 (or another cab also in the Marshall vein). Combo would be nice, but it would do as a head I guess.

But the TC15 seems like a perfect little grab and go sort of thing. Two great channels, 15 watts, nice!

Also, there's sort of a nostalgia thing going on. I used to have a Trace Elliot Velocette 12R. I loved its tone. Still one of my all time favorite amps for the past 30 years. But I could not stand the controls mounted in the back and down on the bottom. Just horrible. I sold it more for the ridiculous control layout than anything else. A Vox-inspired circuit like the TC15 would be just what the doctor ordered in a simple 1x12 cab with SF or BF style controls.

I've never bonded with the layout of the Tweed type combos with the controls on top (same goes for the classic Marshall Bluesbreaker and Vox amps). If you're playing out, the amp's probably behind you and it's nice to turn around and see the controls, not bend over the top. If you're practicing at home, the amp's probably in front of you and it's still nice to see the controls directly, not have to bend over the top. Plus, if you have multiple amps in a tight space, you can stack them up without losing visibility of the controls.

The top-facing controls seems like a bad idea that Leo remedied 50 years ago...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

So how would you react to front facing controls if the rear chassis labels were upside down? (When looked at from the rear).
Just askin'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
So how would you react to front facing controls if the rear chassis labels were upside down? (When looked at from the rear).
Just askin'

Wouldn't be that big of a deal to me. Stuff in the rear is set it and forget it for the most part. To me anyway. After all, we're talking about maybe speaker jacks, an impedance switch and sometimes a boost switch or something like that. No big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Besides, if viewed while bending over from the front, they'd look rightside up anyway! :D