It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Board materials
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey folks,

Where do you get your board materials?

I had about 3-4 feet of garolite from mcMaster....and I just rough cut it up into 3 sections....so I can get rid of this huge tube from my basement. As I cut it, I was introduced to the most gawd aweful smell I've ever experienced while cutting something. I'm fully expecting to get more of this, as I drill holes for eyelets/turrets.

Any of you guys experience the same thing with this stuff?

Also, coco...where do you get those swiss cheese boards?

-Frank

Post subject: Re: Board materials
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:11 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

strangegrey wrote:
coco...where do you get those swiss cheese boards?

I think you're stuck with that smell and some dull tools! Unless you get diamond bits.

Those boards are drilled by a computer CNC shop. They look original, don't they :) But, good looks don't come cheap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:38 am 
Expert
Expert

Oh man, that smell alone was enough to make me want to look for different materials....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:57 am 
Friend
Friend

Someone recommended trying a local plastic suplier, so I did. I told the owner what I was looking for and what it was for. He went to the back and got me a "drop" - a piece cut from another job - and charged me the minimum sale price - $15. I told him G-10 Garolite, and he gave me light green stuff that seems to work fine. I am kind of puzzled, because I have no problem cutting it, and it doesn't smell bad when worked. I can't tell you exactly what I have, but it might be worth it to check the yellow pages in your area to see if you might have a local supplier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:13 am 
Expert
Expert

Well, I'm going to give this stuff a try...and see if I have trouble with my drill bits...

I had no trouble ramming my thin bladed aw through this stuff...it just smelling like freeze dried methane.

If I can saw through it, I'll just make sure I do my layout very quickly and get it done this week, while the wife and kid are out of the house.

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:00 am 

One of my buds bought some 1/8 epoxy fiberglass board from a PCB fabrication shop fairly cheap. I think he paid around $20 for about 2 square feet. It had copper on it but the guy in the shop threw it in the tank and etched it off and cut it into 4" strips for him as well.

I had a bad experience with phenolic material that looked good but leaked current at high voltages so for me its epoxy board from now on. It eats drills and the dust is bad stuff to breathe but it makes really nice boards - that don't leak !

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:19 am 
Expert
Expert

So far, ZERO problems with these boards.

Instead of fighting with the jig saw, I was able to slice it with the cotoff wheel on the dremel. Far nicer cut and easier too.

The holes are going well, as well. I complete drilling of the board tomorrow and I start inserting and flaring out eyelets as well...hope to start soldiering tomorrow night!

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:38 pm 

I use the garolite boards and have no trouble cutting or drilling them.I don't use rotary cutting equipment,which creates a lot of heat.I use a good old fashioned jigsaw at low speed.for drilling,I do the same;the lowest speed on my drill press.
phsyco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

My jigsaw didn't really do a clean cut....I suspect it might have to do with the type of blade on it, as this one is designed for rough cutting wood. The jig did an ok rough cut. But I wanted something to make a clean cut.

As you say, the dremel caused alot of heat...causing the smell. However, once I made the cut and hand sanded it..it was fine.

The drilling of the holes themselves was completely painless with zero smell.

-F