trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:13 am 
Novice
Novice

I am collecting parts to build my first amp. I bought a 6pos switch, and my thoughts were to add different caps and resistors on it and be able to select different settings that will change the sound for each one. It is a triple throw so I could do resistor cap combo's.

What would be the best component to change to alter the tone?

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:22 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Have you looked over the posting in the Guidelines For Tone Tweaking. That may be a starting point.

What tone do you want to affect most? I have some 18 quite specific tone tweakings if you are interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

I did look at the guidlines for tone tweaking. Like I said this is my first build, as I am now receiving parts, but I am not fully comfortable with which components affect tone the most. I just want a versatile amp where I can switch the tone with the switch. I will start with what I think and read will change the tone, but in reality I will probably change it when my build is done. That way I can change the components to my desire.

I was thinking on adding extra turrets on my board to house the parts thats connected to my switch, to make it neater and easier to change parts. I ogt a few more inches on my turret board for this reason specifically.

I'm sure someone has done this, I would like some thoughts on this.

Thanks again,

Nice Site BTW!

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stephen,

I would glady take some help if you send them my way.

Thanks Bob

Post subject: 18 Specific Tone Tweaks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Below are some modifications you might choose to implement in order to change the tone and response of your 18:

1. On the 2 cathodes of V1, the R-C filter is set to 1uF X 820 ohms. This will roll the bass off slightly. Increase the capacitance up to 25uF to increase bass response of the front-end pre amplifier. Try the following combinations for the pair for the TMB channel connected to V1a.

2.7K/68uF; 1.5K/25uf; 2.2K/2.2uf;

The lower the capacitor value, the less bass response.

2. TMB channel input impedance

To change TMB channel input impedance, replace the 1M resistor with 820K; 560K or 470K resistors. This may be necessary for particular instruments.

3. V3 Bias – Dirty Sound

Change the 56K cathode resistor on V3 to 47K. This changes the bias, and operates the tube in a different part of its operating curve and it will not sound as clean.

4. Master Volume Range

To change the range of the Master Volume, reduce the MV potentiometer from 1M Log/Audio, to 500K.

5. Increased Treble Control

For modified Treble control, try the following modification to the R-C filter around the Treble control potentiometer.

33K /250pf– more gain and treble;
47K/330pf - middle of the road;
56K/500pf – bassier slope, less gain

6. Gain and Biasing of the Inverter

To change the gain and biasing of the inverting stage, reduce the resistors in the chain to the following:

Change the two 100K resistor to 82K or 68K (add a 100pf cap between the plate resistors). Change the 470K resistors to 330K or 220K

7. Low Frequency Response of the Output Stage

Output tubes, cathode bypass filter: The original Marshall 18Ws used 500uF, and the Watkins Dominators they derived from used 50uF, there is no right value.

Larger values will give more bass response. What is used depends on the type of speakers, cab, OT and even guitar. The -3db low frequency cutoff point is approximately 1/(2 x pi x R x C), so for example, 125 ohms and 50uF has a lower cutoff of 25 Hz.

Try either a 50 or 100uF. Some people find that lower values keep the low end from getting muddy or boomy.

This is not like a conventional high pass filter in that there is still some gain/band pass at Low Frequencies. Instead of a continuous cutoff there is a step in the gain response, lower gain below the crossover point, and higher above.

8. Bass and Midrange Control Filter

If you want to modify the frequency of the control, change the 22n capacitors.
Try 10n for the Bass and 47n for the Middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:14 am 
Friend
Friend

I've used a switch like that before to switch between different cathode caps- I don't remember the exact values I used, but it was definately pretty cool. Basically I found one setting that I like the best and use just that one, but I like having the option of changing it. :D