trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:09 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

On Friday, ajcoholic, my son & his friend we went to see Canda's Tragically Hip at one of the best venues in Canada - Massey Hall. These guys rock. The acoustics are excellent and the show intimate. As lead singer Gord Downie asked “Is this a grand old barn or what?”

Two Hours - two sets, all standing up, spanned oldies like “At the Hundredth Meridian,” “Blow at High Dough” “Ahead by a Century” and “Bobcaygeon” This concert, they also had Jim Bryson playing organ.

The Hip just released their latest Album "We Are The Same" , and graciously credited Trinty Amps in the liner notes. They played most of those new songs during the show and they all fit in really well.

Rob Baker, twice a Trinity Amps customer, plays lead guitar and when we talked to him after the show, we asked how many guitars he toured with. You see, he changed for every song, but his trusty PRS (see below) was up a few times. I think he said 22 or was that 26?!

What was really cool was that when Rob came to the afterparty, he was wearing a Trinity Amps T-Shirt. If I had a camera, it would have been a photo-op. But I bet there are a lot of people with pictures of themselves with Rob wondering who's this "Trinity Amps" . 8)

Anyway, a great concert. Check out their site to see if they will be in your town.

The Tragically Hip

For those not familiar with the Hip, they are Canada's Top Rock Band. They achieved triple platinum status with Up to Here, which received a Juno Award for Most Promising Group of the Year in 1990. After winning the 1990 Juno, they won Canadian Entertainer of the Year in 1991, 1993, 1995 and Group of the Year in 1995. In 1997 they again received the Juno for Group of the Year and Trouble at the Henhouse won for Album of the Year. Phantom Power won the Juno for Best Rock Album in 1999 and in 2000 Bobcaygeon off the Phantom Power album won the Juno for Best Single. The Juno for Best Rock Album was again awarded to The Hip in 2001 for Music@Work. In 2002 The Tragically Hip were inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame, and at the 2005 Juno Awards they were inducted into The Canadian Music Hall of Fame. Not bad eh??

I met Rob Baker at, where else, a Hockey Game!!

Last edited by coco on Mon May 18, 2009 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Actually, Stephen, the Hip gave credit to "Stephen Cohrs at Trinity Amps" in the liner :) WOW! What an honour!

I am still up in the clouds about the weekend... I know I am not outwardly the most "emotional" guy but I thoroughly enjoyed the show, it will go down as a highlight for sure. I have been a big fan since the first album and of course my band(s) cover a lot of the hip songs.

Thanks for everything! :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:57 am 
Experienced
Experienced

So the question begs...Did they have any Trinity gear on stage?
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Rob uses a Mesa Boogie 112 X 2 combo on stage :evil:
... but he uses the good stuff to record ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:41 pm 

Massey Hall holds historical significance in the Canadian music scene jacksmith, and the Tragically Hip's performances there were highly anticipated and cherished by fans.