trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

b0b0 wrote:
The shield should only be connected to ground at one end of the cable.....typically at the jack or pot. The shrink tubing covers the exposed shield wires at the opposite end to prevent anything from contacting them & shorting to ground.

Gotcha. Makes perfect sense. I just thought that, for a moment, somebody was going to major extremes to prevent the shield from that other end from shorting on anything (i.e. by peeling it back, then snipping it off, then covering it with heat shrink).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm 

This little picture tutorial was just what I needed. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:39 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would enthusiastically recommend Klein wire cutter/strippers #11055 and #11057. The 14 AWG solid/16 AWG stranded stripper hole on the 11055 cuts the outside insulation almost perfectly from the RG-74U (Edit: RG-174U) cable while leaving the shield uncut :!: And, at least to the naked eye, both cutter/strippers leave wires without nicks :!:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:20 am 

joeyvelour wrote:
Greetings all.
Is there a need for more of these sorts of wiring/building "Tips" on this forum? I can see that many of you are seasoned builders, but I can also see many questions being asked by others who are first time builders and could probably use a bit of advice to get started on the right foot. I don't want to step on any toes (especially with the boss) enseigne Nice, but I would be more than willing to offer tips and maybe photo examples like Stephen had here on various soldering and wire servicing procedures. I'm a 25 year veteran of the defense industry with DOD, NASA and J-STD 001 certifications. I'm titled as a Master Technician/Engineering Assistant with a specialty in wiring and cabling for NG and formally with UTC. Please let me know if this sort of information would be helpful to anyone.
Joe G

My wise advice from the most experienced will always serve to improve us.