trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey all!

My latest project will be a '65 Deluxe reverb build and I'm looking for recommendations on speakers.

I'm not 100% decided on speaker configuration yet, but I'm leaning toward a 2x10 combo. I also don't want to break the bank, so alnico Tubby's are out of the question! (Sorry Stephen...:)). However, I might be interested in the 10" San Rafaels, or maybe the Ceramic "40/40" - or maybe even a combination.

I'm looking for a relatively "authentic" mid-60's Deluxe Reverb tone, but with a little something extra to put it over the top & give it a unique (boutique?) flavor.

On the 12"side, I like the Eminence Screaming Eagle. I put a Texas Heat in a Trinity Deluxe I built for a friend of mine and I liked the extra warmth when driven, but for this project the openness of the Screaming Eagle is more to my liking.

Can anyone comment on the tone of the San Rafael? I've got a pretty good idea of how the Alnico & 40/40 sound from the clips we've been kicking around the last couple of years. Also, if anyone has recommendations on other 12" or 10" speakers, I'm all ears...

Thanks,
Kirb

P.S. In case anyone's wondering, this amp (like all of my builds so far) will have a Trinity flavor...I'll be getting Stephen to build the cab. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:30 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I just put Jensen C12K's in my silverface (w/blackface mod) Twin Rvb - AWESOME. Love those speakers, amp sounds great. I think this is the speaker that Fender puts in their Twin and Dlxe reissues...

I think the Tone Tubby Alnicos or Ceramics would sound GREAT in a Deluxe as well. And I think either would give you that boutique edge you're looking for. I heard the San Rafaels once at Stephens in his Deluxe amp - sounded a bit Greenbackish, although maybe slightly "mushier" and less efficient. I didn't love it in that amp, but I think it could work well in another context. I personally think it's worth the extra money for the TTC...

As for 10" speakers, I'm ALL ABOUT the TTC's right now. Stephen put four in an old Marshall 4x10 I have, and I'm absolutely BLOWN AWAY by how these things sound. After a good break-in, these things are almost my favourite speakers in my studio... and this coming from a guy with a pretty strong preference for Alnicos in the 12's...

My two cents FWIW...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

I had a feeling you might chime in Brent. :)

The C12K is really my reference point. You are correct that it is the speaker used in the TRRI & DRRI. I'd like something with that flavor. I am considering the C10R or P10R in fact.

How would you describe the tone of the 10" TTC? I'm looking for something with a slightly relaxed mid, tight/present bottom end, and sparkle in the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
I had a feeling you might chime in Brent. :)

The C12K is really my reference point. You are correct that it is the speaker used in the TRRI & DRRI. I'd like something with that flavor. I am considering the C10R or P10R in fact.

How would you describe the tone of the 10" TTC? I'm looking for something with a slightly relaxed mid, tight/present bottom end, and sparkle in the top.

I guess I'm pretty predictable... :oops: I got excited 'cause there was finally a thread I could contribute to! Lots of "builder speak" going on in here lately, which is totally cool, but unfortunately I can't participate in... :cry:

Anyway, C12K rocks - since I put those speakers in my Twin people have been blown away by the sound of that amp - it's become one of the studio faves. :) I think the TT's have some of the C12 flavour - both are bright with a tight and lean bottom end. The TTC is probably closer to the Jensen than the TTA, but I think calling the TT's boutique versions of the Jensen is a reasonably fair assessment...

I have the P10R's in my SRRI. They're great also. I haven't yet run my Super into the Marshall (4x10 with TTC's) for direct comparison, but I have used the Twin through the Marshall - AMAZING. Similar tonally to the C12K's (bearing in mind the obvious 10" vs. 12" difference). The TTC's are maybe tighter, more forward, more authoritative, more efficient... the 12" Jensens maybe have 500ml of half & half cream... the 10" Tubby ceramics have 250ml of whipping cream... :lol:

The TC-15 through the Marshall TTC's is RIDICULOUS! Amazing tone. Frankly, when I had the vintage Celestion G10's in the cab it would only end up working like once for every 7 or 8 times I tried it in a context. Since the TTC's went in there, I think I've only rejected it once or twice when trying it in a context. They sound great with almost everything I plug in - lots of versatility. Frankly, my Marshall 410 went from being my least used cab to one of my most used cabs (along with my Mesa 412 which probably sees the most action of any cab I own - my Trinity 212 with TTA's and my Fender 212 with CL80's see a lot of action as well).

Does this help? I think your description of what you're looking for sounds A LOT like the 10" TTC's, but if you decide to go for it, break those babies in!!! I ran material through mine for 40+ hours before I felt they were really ready for prime time...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

Not so much that you're predictable, more because this question was really right in your wheelhouse. :)

And yes, this is helpful. It tells me that the 10" TTC's may not be what I'm looking for. How would you compare that cab to your Hiwatt? I ask because the Fane clones I have in my Triwatt cab sound very much like vintage Jensens, but a little more present & "hi-fi" - which sounds pretty close to your description of your 4x10 TTC cab.

That's pretty much what I would have expected based on all the TT clips I've heard on the forum. The TT's seem to have a "boutique British" foundation, which I'm sure is why the 10's sound killer with the TC-15. Come to think of it, maybe one of those 10's would work in my AC4TV if I decide to keep it - the factory speaker is pure dog-poo IMO.

Anyway, that "British" heritage is precisely what I DON'T want in the DR, especially since I can get that from my Triwatt cab. What I DO want is a "boutique American" flavor, which is why I like the Eminence Screaming Eagle. If I decide on a 12" cab, that speaker will be high on my list.

That is also why I'm curious about the TT San Rafael, as the name implies an American voicing. If those could be described as a "boutique C10R/C12R", that would be perfect. It's also a lower wattage speaker than the other TT's (25w vs 50w), and with the lower power of the DR (20-ish watts) the speakers will be worked a little harder and I might be able to achieve some nicer cone breakup at higher volumes.

Unfortunately, TT has precious little on their site in the way of descriptions of the speaker's tone, so I'm hunting. :) But I have seen comments online that indicate it's a good match for low-powered BF Fenders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:39 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Not so much that you're predictable, more because this question was really right in your wheelhouse. :)

And yes, this is helpful. It tells me that the 10" TTC's may not be what I'm looking for. How would you compare that cab to your Hiwatt? I ask because the Fane clones I have in my Triwatt cab sound very much like vintage Jensens, but a little more present & "hi-fi" - which sounds pretty close to your description of your 4x10 TTC cab.

That's pretty much what I would have expected based on all the TT clips I've heard on the forum. The TT's seem to have a "boutique British" foundation, which I'm sure is why the 10's sound killer with the TC-15. Come to think of it, maybe one of those 10's would work in my AC4TV if I decide to keep it - the factory speaker is pure dog-poo IMO.

Anyway, that "British" heritage is precisely what I DON'T want in the DR, especially since I can get that from my Triwatt cab. What I DO want is a "boutique American" flavor, which is why I like the Eminence Screaming Eagle. If I decide on a 12" cab, that speaker will be high on my list.

That is also why I'm curious about the TT San Rafael, as the name implies an American voicing. If those could be described as a "boutique C10R/C12R", that would be perfect. It's also a lower wattage speaker than the other TT's (25w vs 50w), and with the lower power of the DR (20-ish watts) the speakers will be worked a little harder and I might be able to achieve some nicer cone breakup at higher volumes.

Unfortunately, TT has precious little on their site in the way of descriptions of the speaker's tone, so I'm hunting. :) But I have seen comments online that indicate it's a good match for low-powered BF Fenders.

My Marshall TTC cab sounds NOTHING like my Hiwatt - the Hiwatt has a darker, thick, non-forward (but still nice top) thing going on, the TTC's are more forward, smoother, and creamier but still retain a real forward bright present sound... Sounds like your Hiwatt cab doesn't sound like mine at all!! I don't think a whole lot about Brit/American tone, but if I had to characterize the 10" TTC's I would lean more towards American. I can without reservation say that the TTC's sound NOTHING like the 10" Celestion G10's that were in there before... almost at the exact opposite end of the spectrum...

I don't think you'll be happy with the TTSR at all Emo for what you're describing - when we tested at Stephen's, we were getting cone breakup at low volumes (with the 15W Trinity Deluxe)!! They're pretty "relaxed" from top to bottom!! LOL! They were like a lower headroom, lower volume, mushier Greenback. I think they're the perfect speaker if you want cone breakup a lot of the time and a soft speaker... from what I heard on that play test, tight - which is what you said you're after - is not at all a part of the TTSR... and FWIW, the TTSR sounds NOTHING at all like the TTC and TTA to me...

Perhaps my descriptions or word-choices were poor, but what I was trying to say is that indeed I would characterize the 10" TTC as a "boutique C10"... maybe I can pull a clip or two out of one of my current projects so you can hear them for yourself...

Or maybe what you're after is simply a Jensen... ;) I haven't heard an Eminence that I like as much as my C12K's or P10R's... I actually think my next speaker purchase is some P12N's. ;)

My perspective on the Deluxe could be totally skewed here as well FWIW... when I had Stephen's Deluxe I didn't like the vintage Rola he had in it very much, and my favourite speaker with that amp was a Celestion CL80! Not exactly a traditional pairing!! :shock: :oops: :?

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

OK - now I see where you're coming from. I had another listen to the clean V6 clips and it became clear! :)

My Fane clones do sound very similar to the Fane clip so we're just getting singals crossed in semantics I think. I do like the TTC clip there, but I would like a bit more in the bottom end. It's tough to judge with a clip though...the thing should sound far more open & round in a room. With that said, the TTC (and TTA) clips don't have the bottom that some of the others do, and I do want that "roundness" in the bottom end.

As for the Deluxe, the Trinity I built a while ago for a pal sounded great through pretty much every speaker I tried (even V30's), but when I dropped the Eminence Texas Heat in there it really came alive. It had the big round bottom & twangy highs that I'd expect from the amp, but also a little warmer/present in the mids than a typical BF Fender. The Screaming Eagle sounds very similar (based on clips I've heard) but with a slightly more relaxed mid, which is what I'm looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:51 am 
Experienced
Experienced

The bottom end's there - the more the speakers break in, the more it appears... and it's nice 'cause if you gun it at the amp, it stays tight - never flubs out... ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

Then it sounds like the TTC's may be a good candidate. I'll take it under advisement! :)

Any other recommendations folks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 am 
Expert
Expert

Looks like I have a deal worked out for a lightly used BBQ 12A150 (similar to Jensen P12N). So a 1x12 combo it is!

Thanks for the input Brent.

Stephen, once I get the chassis & can give you the exact dimensions I'll be in touch. I know what I want to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:44 am 

Hi Kirb!
Building a '65 Deluxe Reverb sounds like an exciting project! Choosing the right speakers can definitely have a significant impact on the tone and overall character of your amp. Here are a few recommendations and comments on the speakers you mentioned:
Eminence San Rafael: The San Rafael is an alnico speaker that aims to recreate the classic American vintage tone. It offers a smooth and balanced sound with a touch of warmth and sweetness. It should work well for achieving an authentic mid-'60s Deluxe Reverb tone while adding a boutique flavor to your amp.
Eminence Ceramic "40/40": The "40/40" is a ceramic speaker that provides a tight low end, punchy midrange, and clear highs. It offers a slightly different tonal characteristic compared to alnico speakers, with a bit more emphasis on the upper mids and highs. This speaker can add a modern touch to your amp's tone while retaining some vintage flavor.
pge outage map

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:22 pm 

The Cannabis Rex is a 10" speaker with a hemp cone that offers a warm and smooth tone. It can add a unique flavor to your amp 2048 and might be a good choice for that vintage vibe.