trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:33 pm 

Has anyone tried this yet, and what were your results? coco advised me that my new turret board has RoHS turrets on it, and ideally I should use lead-free solder. I'm having a bit of trouble finding decently priced lead-free solder, but I have a lot of the leaded stuff around, so I thought I'd give it a try, but wanted to see if anyone else had tried it and what their experiences were, or if they had any tips. coco, if you have any tips to share for trying this, please do! :)

Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:34 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Late to this post. Radio Shack has some affordable lead free solder that works. With a little more heat if you have a heat control. Also takes a little longer to make the joint and it's not shiny like we're used to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:03 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi

I use a weller 25 watt professional soldering iron, I beleive it heats up to 700*

The RoHs solder needs 850* heat at least. I beleive RoHs is just specification, thats all. look at the sheilded wire, it says RoHs on it too so does it need lead free solder too? No

All you need for those boards is good 60/40 solder 1 mm and a good smooth heat range iron with a great tip.

I did mine no probblems with my personal favorite MG Chemicals 60/40 Came out wicked

Good Luck.

Heat the joint and flow the solder from the backside, it will work awesome

RoHs is just there for when the peice gets disposed of Thats all

Thanks

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:05 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
Late to this post. Radio Shack has some affordable lead free solder that works. With a little more heat if you have a heat control. Also takes a little longer to make the joint and it's not shiny like we're used to.

How do you tell if you have ROHS turrets?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:14 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

jeesh999 wrote:
coco wrote:

There is a sticker on the board. You most likely don’t . Only the very early black turret boards were RoHS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
jeesh999 wrote:
coco wrote:

There is a sticker on the board. You most likely don’t . Only the very early black turret boards were RoHS.

OK thanks. My board looks black, but didn't see any sticker.