trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:56 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm loving the tramp. I noticed when adjusting it, whether in tweed or tude, that the amp really comes alive and sounds better within a 1/4 to 1/2 number on the volume. I have my amp setup as follows.
6v6
bass 11
treble 3-5
master 11
power 10-max

In tweed it isn't as drastic but it does sound best in the higher volumes. However tude, it amazes me that with the above settings and the volume at 6 it's ok. However if i tick it up to 6.33, it comes alive. It even seems like there is more of a volume boost in that tiny window.
Now i've known tube amps sound better when they can breathe. However i have never witnessed this drastic of a change in such a small window, and also at significantly high volume on a small amp. Is everyone having the same experience with theirs? I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the speaker in this case? As i am using 65w creamback speaker, known to be stiff (mine is well broken in getting slammed by a 50w marshall, sometimes cranked). I'm wondering if despite being broken in, it might still be too stiff for the tramp when it isn't turned up.

Thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:21 am 

With those tone settings, and the circuit un-modified, you have GOT to be using a Telecaster...otherwise, with humbuckers, that's a recipe for flabby bass and an almost unusable tone.

You're a Tele guy, then? ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:21 am 
Friend
Friend

Well i'm not a one guitar guy (trying to keep it under 7 though) :) ..
However, yes, i have been on a tele roll lately. Been digging the single coil spank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:59 am 

I thought so! Those sound like Tele settings!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:01 pm 

GonzoBananas wrote:
Now i've known tube amps sound better when they can breathe. However i have never witnessed this drastic of a change in such a small window, and also at significantly high volume on a small amp. Is everyone having the same experience with theirs? I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the speaker in this case? As i am using 65w creamback speaker, known to be stiff (mine is well broken in getting slammed by a 50w marshall, sometimes cranked). I'm wondering if despite being broken in, it might still be too stiff for the tramp when it isn't turned up.

Thoughts anyone?

I've tried mine through a handful of speakers and get noticeably different responses, including spots where everything aligns and jumps out a bit. Are you using a head or a cab?

fredg wrote:
With those tone settings, and the circuit un-modified, you have GOT to be using a Telecaster...otherwise, with humbuckers, that's a recipe for flabby bass and an almost unusable tone.

Without considering the cabinet, speaker, speaker number, impedance, room, and a dozen other variables, it's pretty hard to say "the dial on this spot always means this." I gig a good amount, and I can set up the exact same signal chain in 2 different rooms and find significantly different needs in where I put my knobs.

If I'm getting unusable tone, I change a whole lot of other things before I say "it's the circuit's fault." The first thing I'd change is how I play it. It's a different tool than I've had before, and likely requires a completely different touch to bring out what's special about it. If I'm not into the bass, I'll try a different speaker (I'm lucky enough to have some 2 speaker cabinets and I feel like they handle the larger wavelengths of bass signals in a way that delivers real richness that's difficult to get from a single speaker that's suitable for guitar.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm currently using a Creamback Neo, which sounds great. Installed it for the weight reduction. Running a KT88 as a final. With the mid boost mod, it's LOUD! Always like to run cranked, sounds great.
I had a WGS Blackhawk HP100 Alnico. Awesome cleans.
Love the amp, both speakers great, but different.

Scott