trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I really like the sound of the EL34. I'm not a player, but I have a friend that's pretty good and the JJ EL34 has a sound I like - to me it seems to have the full sound spectrum with a lot smoother feel than the JJ 6L6. The 6V6 doesn't seem as open to me. Also took the amp up to a guy (semi -pro) in OKC who played it and used it in an outdoor venue with EL34 and closed back speaker with no miking or PA. Said it wasn't loud enough for that, but he said it was very quiet and would definitely use it for studio work. My friend, Gary is running the KT66 in it and using a Eminence Texas Heat, that cab gives good bite and a little more projection with the Tramp. Both said they liked the tones they got. Even tho I don't play, I like those two tubes. I know what I like when I hear it, just like everybody else . BTW, I also like the re-issued Mullard 12AX7 in the pre-amp position. Sorry I can't describe it any better than that.

So, there are a lot of tubes and speakers to try. I would go with open back, semi-open back cabs and efficient speakers. Luckily, you only have to buy 2 tubes instead of 4, 5, 6 or more tubes, to try different combinations. Also browse the Tramp forum (you can bookmark the topics) for more opinions on speakers, tubes and control settings. Sorry to be so longwinded, hope it helps some.

Hank S.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

P.S. The JJ KT 66 is about $40 and goes up from there :cry: Edit: Oops, wrong again, just checked Antique Electronic Supply/Amplified Parts $38 to $41

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:08 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello everyone,

So still waiting for my MOSFETs, but I did order some new tubes to try. Got them from the tube store. 6L6,12ax7,El34 all from the preferred series. They carry an extended warranty of 6 months, sweet. They also gave me a call literally right after ordering. They wanted to make sure I meant to order just one of each. Now that's service!

My brother is also building the cabinet for me. He has a bunch of old 100 + year old maple and other woods. So hopefully if I can convince him he will make something unique and interesting.

Cheers everyone!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah, shipping is slow, with COV. Ordered a drive belt for the DeWalt planer 4-24-20, finally called the parts supplier and they're waiting on a shipment (2-5 weeks). Amazon spoiled me.

That's the nice thing about getting tubes for the Tramp, you don't have to buy pairs. Instead, you can try different combos and, as someone told me once, you can "spearmint" with them :bugeye:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello everyone! Hope all are doing well. I have spent a bunch of time with the Tramp over the past few weeks. Still haven't gotten the parts to fix up the vrm yet, however I have still been able to enjoy the amp running at full power.

Currently I am running a 6L6 and a 12ax7 both from the preferred series from the tube store. Amazing! Was getting a little bit of oscillating from the preamp when gain is maxed and in tude but this was a quick fix. Moved a few wires around in the preamp section, squeal gone.

My buddy dropped off a huge Rubbermaid of pedals to play around with the amp. Wow this amp just loves pedals. My favorite has been providing large amounts of boost, +18db and it just roars. Back off the volume a bit on the guitar and a light touch it cleans right up with just a touch of grit just beautiful sounds. Can't wait to do some recording with it! Huge tones without blowing my head off (as much hehe).

Love how responsive it is, the attack is clear and doesn't get mushy. I assume this is from having a solid state rectifier. And when the amp is cranked you get just the right amount of sag without being total mush. The amp loves to feedback (in a good way) and is so rich it just wants to sustain for days!

Super happy with the Tramp, haven't found a bad sound yet. As the ultimate compliment, my wife, whom isn't interested in anything related to guitar or gear, came downstairs and asked what album are you listening to that sounds so good? Shimmering and thick, almost like piano? Ah that's just me babe. Really? Wow, you've never sounded so good...

A man can't ask for a better compliment than that! Thank you Trinity for making a thing of beauty. The Tramp is certainly here to stay. Now I just have to wait for my brother to get the cabinet done for me so she can be boxed up properly. For now it's an embarrassingly awkward setup, but it works.

Cheers,
Kim

Attachments:
20200527_105811.jpg
20200527_105811.jpg [ 3.97 MiB | Viewed 4182 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Still haven't got the MOSFET's :bugeye: I guess what with the COVID, USPS, Canada post and the border BS it's to be expected. When you get the VRM working, play w/ the volume, master volume and VRM controls. Makes it DIIRRTTY 8) Even a non-player, like me can tell, there's a lot of tones to be found in this versatile little amp!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:00 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hey Hank!

Yeah I am surprised that it's been taking so long. Did you get your drive belt yet? I am hoping that things will eventually get back to normal. Even without the vrm working correctly this amp is the most versatile I have ever played. Truly a beautiful thing. Going to give the El34 a go around today.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Drive belt shipped May 25, maybe this week. Company asked for review, I more less said in review that I would be happy to review the product, but hadn't received it yet! April 27 to May 25