trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gain mod?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

Haven't touched the guts of my Tramp since "amp camp" way back when. I would like to get a little more gain in "Tude" mode but I don't want to mess with the character of the tone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Gain mod?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Clean boost or mild overdrive pedal would not have to change anything on the amps. There lots around here that use boost and other pedal. Don't know if you have tried that route and have not been happy with it or not?

But if your hell bent on changing the amp

Quick and easy would prolly be lower the value of r8 from where it is now down to about 1.2k (paralelled with the 2k7 ) would be around 830 in tude mode. And maybe swapping the .47 c5 to a .68 . Easy change two components make it very marshal values in tude mode. If you dont like it swap the orginal parts back in. Another easy one you could also change the gain pot to 1 Meg but then you would half to play with the tweed parallel resistor value to about 150 k . And the most complex would be add another tube and you could monkey about with two more stages of gain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Here's an idea for Stephen, a Tramp Hot Rod add-on kit that provides parts, socket, tube, some wire, resistors, whatever is required and an step by step instruction document/leaflet that kit builders can buy as an extra for their Tramp and new kit buyers can select to add the kit as an option to the base amp kit. I bet a lot of Tramps that have been built for some time would end up with that kit added to them, very much like Billm does with his little add-on kits for the Blues Juniors. A lot of the people that build the amp kits can follow instructions and end up with a great sounding reliable amp but they may have very limited knowledge of electronics and the hand- holding experience of a documented kit add-on could be a win-win for them and Trinity.

Anyway just throwing the idea out there.

Snowy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:01 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the input.
I do use pedals in front of the amp but it would be nice to have the extra oomphf without colouring the tone. The amp already has the tone. During amp camp it was stated many times that this was a good amp for mods so that's what I'm thinking of trying.
It would be a great thing if Stephen offered a mod kit (all inclusive parts & manual) for the tramp. Perhaps adding another preamp tube to the mix???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

You can add a boost function like I did.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2323&p=20765&hilit=tramp+boost+mod#p20765
Scroll down about halfway to see a pic and explanation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:29 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yeah, try that PAB ( pre amp boost) mod and let mr know if it's enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:30 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No457 Snowy wrote:
Here's an idea for Stephen, a Tramp Hot Rod add-on kit that provides parts, socket, tube, some wire, resistors, whatever is required and an step by step instruction document/leaflet that kit builders can buy as an extra for their Tramp and new kit buyers can select to add the kit as an option to the base amp kit. I bet a lot of Tramps that have been built for some time would end up with that kit added to them, very much like Billm does with his little add-on kits for the Blues Juniors. A lot of the people that build the amp kits can follow instructions and end up with a great sounding reliable amp but they may have very limited knowledge of electronics and the hand- holding experience of a documented kit add-on could be a win-win for them and Trinity.

Anyway just throwing the idea out there.

Snowy

ThanksSnowy. will look into such thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 pm 

My Tramp is a little bit short of power when played at full with my band. I think it could benefits from a second amp tube in the extra novel socket and be played at a medium-high overall volume while leaving room for some power if needed when
things start to rock&roll. What would be the best suggestions or is there any Trinity Tramp add-on kits or schematics available ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

D'JayPee - Have you tried a 6L6 or kt66 ? This helps with a volume boost as it doubles the amps wattage. Also, try putting in a more efficient speaker, something over 100 db should help if you have not already. With these 2 mods you can get a boost in volume if that is what you are seeking. I would start here before making changes to the amp.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

woodsyowl wrote:
D'JayPee - Have you tried a 6L6 or kt66 ? This helps with a volume boost as it doubles the amps wattage. Also, try putting in a more efficient speaker, something over 100 db should help if you have not already. With these 2 mods you can get a boost in volume if that is what you are seeking. I would start here before making changes to the amp.

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:42 pm 

Thanks woodsyowl. Actually my Tramp is running a 6L6, an adjustable PAB with 1K pot and is pushing a Celestion Alnico 10 gold. Nice combo.
A Mad Professor HW/Little Green Wonder in front for extra clean boost. May the band is too loud, so I got it miked with a E609...this amp can really take a lot of boost. Fantastic amp. I've been running it for about 90 to 100 hours here and there, gigs and practice, and the lamps are now beginning to squeal little bit. Is this normal Doc?

I'm thinking to add a treble switch with a 2,2nF between lugs 3 and 2... anyone who did it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Do you want a bright switch, is that what you want to do with the 2,2 nf
Are the tubes going microphonic? Squealing. All you can do is repalce one and see if it goes away. Life inside a combo is hard on tubes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 am 

Didn't the former Tramp had a Treble boost/cut ?
Bright switch, yes please, for low volume playing... An idea from kurtlives. There are so many bright switch spdt combination that are using different values like a 47pF and 250pF and now 2,2nF I can get easily lost.

Can someone guide me tru this simple mod ?

You are right Coco about life inside a combo if amp is abused like mine... I just got a pair of Groove Tubes 6L6 , they come as duets ;( with a larger base then JJ Tube and no more sqealing

Post subject: Treble boost for Tramp
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:56 am 

The treble setting on my Tramp could benefit from a bit more spark in tweed mode. Mostly at low volume but also at high volume, in a lesser way.
There are so many bright switch spdt combinations that are using different values like a 47pF and 250pF and now 2,2nF I can get easily lost.

Can someone guide me tru this simple mod ? Installing a push-pull treble pot switch instead of a SPDT would give a cleaner look.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Try this by using the Fat - Thin switch to select a 250pf bright cap.
Let me know how it works . 500 pf would be extreme bright.

Only works in Thin mode.

Attachment:
TrampBrightSwitch.jpg
TrampBrightSwitch.jpg [ 157.71 KiB | Viewed 18555 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 pm 

Thank you Stephen. I have 47pf, 100pf, 250pf and 500pf all 500V SM in stock. I'll go for 250pf first.
The newly installed GrooveTube 6L6 is gorgeous with its blue flashes and orange glow... I hope it to last over 100 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If tube longevity is an issue, calculate the power dissipation in Cathode bias mode. I have never had an issue tho.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 pm 

I've tried 100p, 250p and 500p caps and 500p is way too bright in 'tude mode.
100p keeps everything clear while 250p permits a treble roll off.
For now 250pF as suggested it shall be.
Later, I'd like to go for a combo switch DPDT 100p / 250p on-off-on so I could get back to the original setting on a flick.
Drilling a 1/4'' hole in the front plate is the down side.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:53 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You can use the existing switch for 2 settings only, but that's a decent option considering you had none!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:19 pm 

I'm about to try and install a DPDT on-on-on switch ( just got it today) with 250p, 100p and none for the third option in order to get back to original setting.

Well it took me some time before doing it. Something went wrong when soldering heavy 18 awg on those tiny switches lugs. My fault... too much heat.

Attachments:
DPDT_bright_sw.jpg
DPDT_bright_sw.jpg [ 73.94 KiB | Viewed 18115 times ]