trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:46 pm 

Hi All,

I'm in the final stages of building a Tramp. I'm confused about the "behavior" of the EL34/6L6 switch. Here's what's happening:

I wired the switch according to the instructions. It's a DPDT switch. The "top" two lungs are jumpered together, as well as connected to the EL34 2.5k tap. The "bottom" two lugs are jumpered togetherand wired to the 6L6 5K tap. The center two lugs are wired together, and that goes to the octal socket.

After I wired this, I did a continuity test on the switch to verify everything was working properly. I expected the switch to show continuity from the center lugs to EITHER the "top" or "bottom" lugs, BUT - INSTEAD, there was total continuity across the entire set of lugs, regardless of switch lever position!!!

I took everything apart and tested the switch, and it worked as expected. Re-wired everything, and again found continuity across every lug in the switch, regardless of the switch lever's position..

I'm guessing this has something to do with the way the transformer is constructed, but I sure as hell don't understand it. Can somebody explain this phenomenon to me?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Fred, you may have to remove the wire to the socket (I think you are right about the Xfmr affecting your test). I tested on the same switch I had on the bench (by itself) and worked as it should. Also, be sure to read about the arcing on this switch, if you haven't already. My profile says I'm "experienced", but all that means is I have a lot of posts ;) As far as explaining it, maybe MitchM or someone that's really an expert will chime in.