trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power Transformer wiring
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:28 pm 

I may have interpreted this incorrectly but from the documentation I see the following:

1) Layout Schematic (Rev 25 23Nov18 Updated for new power transformer) shows the Black and White running together to the IEC with the comments “120V Mains Connect Black to White at the IEC” and “120V Mains Connect Black/Red to White/Red on Switch”

2) Amp Builders Guide (Version 3.0 23Nov18 Updated for new power transformer) includes in the addendum on page 75 a detail that shows the White and Black/White going to the (unused per layout schematic?) terminal strip and a new white-Neutral running from the terminal strip. The black is connected to the Black/Red at the switch.

Please confirm which is correct. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Looking at the schematic posted here, I'd say the wiring in the Amp Builders Guide (Version 3.0 23Nov18 Updated for new power transformer) is correct.

I've never built a Tramp from the kit, though. However, I have built a similar amp from scratch. Maybe Stephen or somebody who has built the kit recently can verify the wiring for the power transformer that's currently supplied with the kit.

You can also verify the wiring by measuring the resistance across the black/red and black/white wires. It should be very low. Then measure the resistance across the black and white wires. It should also be very low, the same as across black/red and black/white.

Then wire up just the primary side, apply AC power and see if you get about 6.3 VAC across the green wires and about 630 VAC across the red wires. Be careful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:55 am 
Expert
Expert

The two sets of directions you mentioned are for two different transformers. What are the wire colors on the transformer you have? What I said earlier only applies if you just have black, white, black/white and black/red.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The addendum was for an older version of the transformer. We are now using more universal primary windings for all of our amps so we can cover 110, 120, 220, 230 and 240V mains.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

OK. So the layout and schematic that show the Black and White going to the IEC neutral, and the Black/Red and White/Red going to the switch, are the right ones for the transformer currently used and 120 volt mains.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:27 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

mitch m wrote:
OK. So the layout and schematic that show the Black and White going to the IEC neutral, and the Black/Red and White/Red going to the switch, are the right ones for the transformer currently used and 120 volt mains.

Yes!