trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:48 pm 

I finished up my first Tramp build. I selected the Tramp at Stephen's suggestion (vs. the tweed) I had a blast building it and am very happy with the quality of the components, transformers, and all the parts involved. The instructions were good and combined with some photos of other builds on the forum made the assembly a breeze. I will be picking up the cabinet this week so in the meantime I tested it out with a nice 2-12 cab that I have. I have to say that I really like the way this amp sounds. With the power level, master volume and volume controls it is very versatile and exactly the type of amp I wanted for home and small jams with friends.

The only issue seems to be a bit of high pitched oscillation/squeal with the power level at 10, and the volume above 10. I doubt that I will ever play it that way but I noticed it because when I first went into "TUDE" mode thats the way it was set. I haven't looked into it yet but thought I'd mention it.

Voltages are OK, some are a little lower than the manual calls for. Heater voltage is 3.45 to ground. AC volts at the diodes is 638. With the B+ set to 400vdc (about 10 on the VRM) voltages on V1 pin 1 and 6 are 183.6 and 167.2 cathode voltage is 30.1 6V6 pin 3 voltage is 395.

I'm very happy with the results and can't wait to show it off. I'm sure I will build another Trinity amp in the future.

Here are a couple pics of the inner assembly of my amp.

Walter

Last edited by walterdc on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

Great job, Walter. Neat and tidy. I'm sure you will enjoy the amp.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Congrats on the build and nice work, as Mitch says I'm sure you will enjoy it. I bet it sounds great through the 2x12!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Congrats on your build. The squeal will probably be the input wiring. You may need to add extra coax cable or shorten the wires as much as possible, or just move them around.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:06 pm 

coco wrote:
Congrats on your build. The squeal will probably be the input wiring. You may need to add extra coax cable or shorten the wires as much as possible, or just move them around.

Thank you Stephen, I will tinker with the wires over the coming weekend. I should have my cabinet finished and will get everything put together. I have most of the flying lead wires tucked down over the edge of the board and without a lot of slack but I'll give them all a look. It sounds great through the 2-12 cab but can't wait to hear it when it gets in its final home which is a Tweed deluxe size cabinet with 1-12. I'll post pictures when its done.

Walter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Make it squeal and then go play with the lead dress. See if you can make it stop or look for signs of what causes it to squeal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:26 pm 

coco wrote:
Make it squeal and then go play with the lead dress. See if you can make it stop or look for signs of what causes it to squeal.

I double checked all the routing and it seems to be fine now. No issues. I got my cabinet and did the finish. I'm really happy with the whole project. The amp sounds and looks great! I'm using an eminence Allesandro speaker I had and am pleased with the sound so far. I appreciate all the support both before and after I purchased the kit.

Heres a quick picture of the finished amp.

Have a great day!
Walter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:28 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks great. Congrats on successfully building a great amp!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:22 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Squeal
When you test the amp, make sure it doesn’t feedback and squeal when Gain , Fat and PAB are pulled, Vol is on max. and guitar plugged in. If it does, it is probably the wire dressing around V1. Particularly in a Head format build.
Pushing the wire connected to pin 6 towards pin 2 and 3 will induce squeal. When the wires almost touch, the squealing starts. Pulling the pin 6 wire as far from pins 2 & 3 wires as possible eliminated the squealing. Shorten these wires and secure them so they won't move around during transit and end up moving and repeating the squeal conditions.
If you need to stop any remaining squealing. Put a .001uF - .0015uF poly cap (Mallory 150) between grid pin 2 to the ground lug of the terminal strip.
At maximum volume & power, the squeal should be gone.