trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mid boost for Tramp
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

Can you post a schematic for the mid boost Ken Fisher mentioned on fb? I built a tramp a few years ago and have been thinking about adding a mid boost.

Post subject: Re: Mid boost for Tramp
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Sure, just need to get one ready. We call it the pre-amp boost.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:25 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Tramp PAB

Attachment:
TrampPAB.JPG
TrampPAB.JPG [ 33.78 KiB | Viewed 8810 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:22 am 
Novice
Novice

What type of Cliff jack is used for this mod? Is it Cliff 501 or 502? Does it matter which one is used?
I plan on doing this mod and will use a footswitch to engage it. Just want to make sure I purchase the right version of the Cliff jack.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:36 am 
Expert
Expert

Both types have the sleeve contact insulated from the chassis. Both types can be used. A 501 is shown in the picture.

The only difference is how they mount to the panel. The 501 has a metal ferrule with internal threads so the maximum panel thickness is 4.3mm. The 502 has a plastic nut with external threads so it can accommodate a slightly thicker panel, 4.6mm.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

I did this mod for my Tramp and used the 680k resistor. I like it. It is like having a clean boost pedal built internally into the Tramp and footswitchable. Nice.

C2

[Edit: I eventually tried two other resistors: an 820k and a 1Meg. Both of these resistors boosted the gain more noticeably than the 680k, but they also increased the mids more than I wanted. The 1meg was way louder and would work as a solo boost, but it also had way too much mids; the 820k was louder than the 680k, and not as much mid boost as the 1meg, but it still took out some of the highs and lows. So, I have gone back to the 680k like Kurtives used on his mod. This 680k still preserved the highs and lows, and did a boost that was more like a mild clean boost (not loud enough for solo boost, but it did take the tone into early breakup, which I liked). Just thought I would provide my 2cents and what worked and did not work for my Tramp and my needs. June 7 2017. C2].

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:42 pm 
Friend
Friend

Im looking to do this too. Essentially Im looking for a solo type boost with a mid bump. Perhaps dial the amount of boost / mid effect and as such I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the wattage for the 680 resistor?
2) How would you wire a pot into this say from 470K to 1M? What wattage pot is required?
3) 1M has been described as "too much" mids; would it be similar to stepping on a tube screamer pedal for a mid bump?

Thanks y'all

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

woodsyowl wrote:
Im looking to do this too. Essentially Im looking for a solo type boost with a mid bump. Perhaps dial the amount of boost / mid effect and as such I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the wattage for the 680 resistor?
2) How would you wire a pot into this say from 470K to 1M? What wattage pot is required?
3) 1M has been described as "too much" mids; would it be similar to stepping on a tube screamer pedal for a mid bump?

Thanks y'all

1) What is the wattage for the 680 resistor? 1/2 W is fine
2) How would you wire a pot into this say from 470K to 1M? Get a 1M pot, input to one side, out from the middle, leave the other leg unconnected. What wattage pot is required? 1/4 - 1/2W
3) 1M has been described as "too much" mids; would it be similar to stepping on a tube screamer pedal for a mid bump? Cant say for sure as I don't use a tube screamer.