trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Andrew's Tramp Build
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

After a marathon build this weekend, I'm done! The amp now sits in the cabinet (other than final sanding and finishing, the cabinet is DONE too). Everything seems to work; some of the voltages seem to be slightly low, on the pre-amp side and also the rectifier.

Will post more pictures and details when I have a bit of time. Very rewarding to hear a guitar I build played through an amp I built!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:50 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Cograts to you (and your inspiration!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

fourchet wrote:
Why there is a mofset on this amp ?

Some of the others will be able to answer this question a lot better than I can - however in simple terms, it is for 'power attenuation'. Turning it down puts less power through the tubes to achieve the desired break-up without at fewer decibels.

Would that be an adequate description?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

That's a good explanation. It's called "power scaling" or "variable voltage regulation." The mosfet reduces the B+ so the amp breaks up at lower volume. It's different from "master volume" because it affects the entire amp.

By the way, Andrew, your amp looks fantastic! Really good attention to detail. I can't wait to see the cabinet. And yes, your wood shop is quite impressive, too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:42 am 
Friend
Friend

Without further adieu, here is progress on my build. Looking back over the past few days, I took far fewer photos than I would have liked. I had some challenges - first with the finger joints on the cabinet; I built a jig for the router table, then destroyed my 1/2" upcut spiral bit making test cuts. So I re-worked the jig for table saw set-up with a dado blade. That took a while, then took a number of test cuts to get the spacing right. That took me until well after midnight on Friday. Finally cut the fingers in the boards I glued up, only to find they were just slightly too tight so I had to re-work things to get them to fit, then had to deal with some tear-out issues.... once that was done, I enlisted the help of my lovely wife to spread glue across all the fingers and get it into the clamps:

Then while the glue was setting, it was back to soldering. Finished it all up in about an hour, plugged it in and started checking voltages. Heater voltages checked out, very slightly high but probably acceptable. The rectifier voltage a bit low, but probably acceptable. No smoke, fuse didn't blow... all good. So I wired up the speaker, plugged in the tubes and powered it back on again:

Tubes started to glow. Kept checking voltages... again, a few seemed to be a bit on the low side, but I don't think it is catastrophic. Checked the MOSFET, working just fine; voltage came up as I turned it up. Turned up the volume, very slight hum coming from the speaker with my ear nearly right on the cone... almost not detectable. Time to plug in a guitar.... strummed the strings and NOTHING!! Oh my.... what is wrong.... spent the next 2 hours double-checking everything, wondering if I wired the speaker wrong, etc. Finally noticed that I hooked up the shielded wire from the gain pot to the pre-amp in the wrong spot. 5 minutes later had that fixed and guess what..... IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

I played it like this for a few minutes on Saturday night out in the shop, then went to bed:

Ok, Sunday...... lots to do, I want to test-fit this in the cabinet before evening rolls around. And I was encouraged enough to get the camera back out and do a better job documenting it.

I milled up some pine for the speaker baffle and glued up the panel:

Then set about cutting the speaker hole (using my router):

Test-fit the speaker...

And put it into the cabinet. Then fit the amp into place:

I ad-lib'd a little bit on the front; taking a bit of 'artistic licence'.....

Welcome to the stable, little Tramp! (btw, I built both guitars flanking the amp, along with the one behind it):

Still a bit of work ahead of me... need to round over all the edges, final sanding and finishing. I needed another can of sealer, which shipped out today. Maybe over the weekend.

Now about those voltages...... well, maybe it has fixed itself:

Input is exactly 120 VAC
Across rectifier pins: 630 VAC
First 50 uF filter cap: 414 VDC
33uF cap: 335 V

But then, over to the pre-amp side:
Pin 1: 198 V (target is 203; close enough??)
Pin 6: 178 V (target is 191)

I have a 6v6 tube in and have the bias set appropriately. VRM is all the way up. I have 407V coming off the 50uF filter caps. Set to Tweed, Thin.

Regardless, it sounds amazing. Really happy with this build. I have to admit, I was very apprehensive at the start. Other than wiring up the guitars I built and the odd repair around the house, I really haven't done much soldering. I've never worked with resistors and capacitors. The first couple night I worked on this I was completely overwhelmed. But, I received great support from Stephen at Trinity along the way and great resources available through this forum. Very pleased with the outcome - extremely rewarding.

Will post completed cab once the finish is one... and the grille cloth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:06 pm 
Expert
Expert

Looks good

Those voltage are definitely within spec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Everything looks. good. Excellent job on he electronics. Neatness pays off in the the long run.
I Like the artistic flair on the cab. Nice!
I'm betting this won't be your last kit!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:46 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'm keen to hear your opinion on the amp with the red fang speaker.
Are you going to roundover thny corners of leave them square?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

Sounds great in my opinion! However, having never heard a Tramp before, I have nothing to compare it to.

Corners are now rounded over, final sanding done and a coat of 'natural' stain to pop the grain applied. If all goes well, sanding sealer tomorrow followed by a few coats of lacquer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Sounding great is always good. Looking forward to your final picture

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:18 am 
Friend
Friend

Oh man, this is turning out real nice.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Is it ever! What did you put on it? What brand/type natural stain?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Stephen! The stain is just your run-of-the-mill Minwax from Home Depot (natural). Then I hit it with about 6 coats of Target EM1000 water based sanding sealer, sanding with 220grit every 2 or 3 coats. This does 2 things:

1) water based raises the grain. Walnut, being a more 'open-grain' wood is especially susceptible to this (oak is worse). The raised grain needs to be knocked down
2) somewhat fills the grain to get a smoother finish.

Now, if I were to be wet-sanding and rubbing out the finish, I would have applied some Brite Tone grain filler. I would do this on a guitar to get a nice smooth finish. HoweVer, being a cabinet I am ok with a few imperfections so I will just leave the topcoat.

The picture above is after just the first few coats of sealer. After the sealer has been applied and set for a couple hours, I sanded to 320 grit then top-coated with 4 or 5 coats of Target EM6000 gloss water based lacquer. It is curing in the garage right now; should be ready for final assembly in the morning.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:13 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nicely done. Gonna loook great. The finger joints look very good from here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well, this wraps up my build! Woke up this morning to find the lacquer had set up nicely overnight. My wife helped me with the grille cloth yesterday (God bless her!). I was able to put it all together this morning. Had a hard time finding good lighting for some nice shots, but I think this should provide the right flavour for the finished product:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

That looks really good, classy stuff.

Only thing I'd say is maybe take a sharpie or some black paint to the top of the baffle's T-nuts. They are quite visible through the grill cloth.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:51 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Kurtlives! Totally agree about the sharpie suggestion... complete afterthought. Those are actually the screws holding the speaker in. I painted the baffle, along with the t-nuts black prior to installation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:11 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks excellent!! Good tip by Kurtlives as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:13 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Wow, I hadn't spotted this build before, it looks gorgeous. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:57 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hey guys! Haven't been here in a while - been busy building guitars again. Was thinking of doing another amp and popped back in here. Where did all the photos go?? They are still active in Photobucket......