trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramp trouble
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:38 pm 
Friend
Friend

Sickening smell of smoke! Amp was performing great today - first time with a KT88 and replaced 1K 5watt on second bias resistor. About the third time I turned it on, my "short" power light on the line voltage came on briefly, followed by a little smoke and no sound. Traced the problem to R17... a 1K 2 watt resistor near the power tube - it was toast. :bugeye: Hi voltage power section is working fine to that point - but with the resistor out, there's no power to the preamp side. Think the KT88 was too much? I've ordered a 3 watt 1K as a replacement for R17. Any other suggestions/precautions?

Post subject: Re: Tramp trouble
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Increased screen draw with the KT88 would blow that resistor.

Try another 2W resistor and a different tube before moving on to a higher power resistor.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I stayed away from the KT88 and settled on running a 6L6GC for my bigger tube needs. I have read of at least one other builder with a perfectly fine Tramp then swapping in a KT88 and something goes pop, either the tube itself or (in your case possibly) a resistor, whichever gives up first. That's just my observation but I wonder whether the KT88 runs things very close to a tipping point where you can be lucky and have no problems at all, ....or not so lucky.

Exhibit A:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3384&start=60#p27066

Disclaimer: That's just a purely subjective observation made by me and probably a wrong one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:36 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks guys - hopefully the output trans is OK. Had tried a nice reissue Tung-Sol 6L6GC before going to the KT88 - and it sounded great... almost as much clean headroom as the KT. I'll probably go back to the 6L6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:21 am 
Friend
Friend

All is well with my intrepid TRAMP, after replacing the blown resistor and firing up a 6L6. I'll be fine-tuning the bias soon... and from what I'm reading.... a current of about 45-50 ma looks good for a 6L6... while the KT88 likes a higher reading, like 60+ ma. Any suggestions for a target range on bias?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:40 am 
Experienced
Experienced

My measurements for a 6L6GC are recorded in this thread (linked), hopefully that will give you an idea of ballpark numbers.

viewtopic.php?f=16&p=25603#p25603

If built to spec you should be pretty much good to go with a 6L6, being a Cathode biased amp it should come in at just under 30 Watts dissipation with the VRM at Max.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:09 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have a KT88 in a Tramp and have not had a problem, tho I think the 6L6 is the "bees knees " in this amp!