trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12" speaker clearance
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:55 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Received my Tramp kit about a week or so ago, with Stephen cutting the baffle to accommodate a 12" speaker (thanks Stephen!). I have a Celestion Blue with a hempcone that sounds phenomenal and really wanted to pair it with this amp. I knew when I placed the order that there might be some clearance issues using a 12" speaker, and anticipated that I would have to relocate the output jack. Anyways...below are a couple of photos with the basic components installed to check for clearance:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3675.jpg

As you can see, there is barely any room between the output jacks and the bell cover, and getting an angled plug in isn't possible unless you plug in the cable before you mount the chassis to the cab (as described in another thread). However, there are two 1/4" holes drilled adjacent to the octal socket...one is for the 6v6/6L6 bias switch. The other is not used. So I figure I can drill out the unused 1/4" hole to accept the output jack. I tested with a speaker cable and there is plenty of clearance to insert the plug:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3676.jpg

Also, there isn't much clearance between the impedence selector switch (the white shaft in the photos) and the bell cover. I may relocate this switch to the unoccupied jack hole...I haven't checked dimensions yet...the jack hole might be a little too big for proper fitting of the impedence switch. Since I plan on just running the combo speaker and not using an external cab, I may not use the impedence switch anyways. Was thinking of installing a toggle for the OT primaries (2K5, 5K) and may just mount that toggle switch into the other vacant output jack hole (if the dimensions work out) or mount the toggle to the other side of the octal socket.

Anyways...thought this might be useful for anyone out there considering a 12" speaker. Its possible, but depending on the bell cover/rear diameter, you may have to relocate the output jacks and possibly the impedance switch.
Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

Looks like the bell on the Blue is bigger than the Red Fang I was using. Similar tonally so I'm betting it'll sound fantastic. It's the perfect speaker for the Tramp for my taste.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

PharmRock wrote:
I have a Celestion Blue with a hempcone that sounds phenomenal...

So it's a recone? If so, who did you get it done by?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:06 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

"A Brown Soun" did the recone...this hempcone Blue is the sweetest sounding speaker I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Did a little more experimentation today...

First I tried to mount the Red Fang in the cab. I don't know what the deal was, but for the life of me I couldn't get all 4 mounting bolts in....always had one a few mm off-center. So I don't have any pictures of the Red Fang in the cab...but Emohawk has shown his Tramp with a Red Fang.

I did take some measurements of the dust caps for comparison between the Red Fang and Celestion Blue.
Red Fang:
Diameter: 130mm (~5.125")
Depth to speaker frame: 65mm (~2.5")

Celestion Blue
Diameter: 120mm (~4.75")
Depth the speaker frame: 75mm (~3")

Not sure if that info is worth much but there it is.

Next I tried out a WGS Green Beret to check for clearance...didn't fare too well. While I had an easily accessible output jack hole, since the speaker isn't nearly as deep as the Celestion Blue, the magnet diameter was just too wide...it really interfered with the rest of the chassis. I don't think the 6-position switch would be usable in its intended position:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3681.jpg

Here's another view from the side...the impedence selector switch doesn't have much room, and with the knob on I don't think there is any way it will work:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3684.jpg

Ok...so back to the Celestion Blue. I mentioned previously that I can't see any need to have an impedence selector switch...this amp will be used as a combo and I have no intention to run an external cab. If I ever do I'll get in there and add a toggle. So I decided to enlarge one of the existing 1/4" holes by the octal socket to accept the output jack. Then I decided to slightly enlarge an existing output jack hole to accept a big ole SPDT toggle I had laying around....this will be used to select between the OT primaries when I want to experiment with an EL34.
Here's couple of shots from the back of the chassis, looking down:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3686.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3687.jpg

Ok...the remaining pictures show how this all fits together with the Blue mounted in the cab:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3688.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3689.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3690.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3691.jpg

Straight plug is just a little tight, but fits. I am able to insert/remove with no problem:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3692.jpg

This last picture shows an angled plug in the output jack and the 6V6 in place:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49 ... G_3694.jpg

Well that's about it for now. Will be doing some more work tomorrow...hope to have the heaters/tag strips/sockets/etc wired up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:08 am 
Expert
Expert

Nice job! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Looks like the bell on the Blue is bigger than the Red Fang I was using. Similar tonally so I'm betting it'll sound fantastic. It's the perfect speaker for the Tramp for my taste.

The cover on the Blue is a little deeper and extends out a little more. The cover on the RF is wider, and seems to obstruct a little more of the chassis.
Yeah I'm hoping this turns out to be a good match...I think the early breakup characteristics of the Blue will be great with the low-powered Tramp....hopefully some clippage will be coming soon!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Boy that's tight. We have had a couple of 12" speakers in there before but that's really close.
Looking forward to clippage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hmmm... I had more clearance (width wise) with the Fang. Maybe I had it mounted lower & more to the left. I went as low/left as I could & still clear the lower front strip with the speaker cutout.

Looks like you have a workable solution for your application. Bet is sounds great!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Hmmm... I had more clearance (width wise) with the Fang. Maybe I had it mounted lower & more to the left. I went as low/left as I could & still clear the lower front strip with the speaker cutout.

Looks like you have a workable solution for your application. Bet is sounds great!

Yeah I think you cut your own baffle right? So its probably just a difference in where the speaker cut out was placed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:19 am 
Expert
Expert

Yeah - I cut my own baffle. Still have it in fact...but not the amp.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:07 am 
Novice
Novice

I'd be curious to hear which other ceramic 12" speakers have been installed sucessfully when using the KT66 tube.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

I see a BBQ Silver Bell alnico without the cover is 5.5 " deep.
This should work w/ the KT66's correct?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

Anyone have success w/ any other 12" speakers?
I'd like to know before I buy something that flat out isnt gonna work.
Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:44 pm 
Expert
Expert

I didn't try any ceramics (other than the Emi Lady Luck that came from my Valve Jr cab) in the cab itself. I did try it with my extension cabs. V30's were to edgy for my taste. Greenbacks sounded great. I tried it with a BBQ 12A150 (in my BFDR cab) and it was nice, but not as nice as the Red Fang's. I also tried it with my BBQ ceramic Thames 2x12 (my Triwatt cab) and that sounded pretty good also. The Fang was still my favorite.

Depends on what you want. The Celestions sounded more Marshally & the Thames (Fane Purpleback clones) and the 12A150 (Jensen P12Q or N - can't remember which) was more vintage Fender. I liked the Fang because it did both well, and some extremely well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

Long time since I've posted here. Anybody else tried other 12" speakers in the Tramp, not w/ extrusion cabs?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:46 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

tubetone74 wrote:
Long time since I've posted here. Anybody else tried other 12" speakers in the Tramp, not w/ extrusion cabs?

We did try both the Tone Tubby Green and Red. Shoehorned in the Red. It was awesome ($300 USD speaker tho!)
Green was very good as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks coco. So the green went in without a shoehorn? Like to see a pic if anyone has one.
Thanks for the reply. I have a Canabis Rex in it now. The Tramp has proved to be a fine tone machine for sure!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I checked and it was a Celestion Classic Lead 80. This is with a 6L6 as well. Some installations needed a right angle plug as I recall.

Attachment:
dari_tramp_ 013.jpg
dari_tramp_ 013.jpg [ 67.88 KiB | Viewed 19324 times ]

Attachment:
dari_tramp_011.jpg
dari_tramp_011.jpg [ 52.54 KiB | Viewed 19324 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks!