trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jensen or Tone Tubby?
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 am 
Friend
Friend

Any help on this.....as well as 10 or 12's?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:48 am 
Novice
Novice

I tried a Tone Tubby 40/40 12" ceramic in mine, and I was not real thrilled with it. I loved it in my Peavey Classic 30, but with the Tramp (and my admittedly short testing time) it didn't have enough oomph for me. I A/B'd it against a Red Fang 12, which is what I have in there now. Definitely a different beast - a lot more bottom than the 40/40 (which is why it works in the C30, interestingly). The RF is almost boomy to me, but if I dial the bass back a little it's great.

Dunno if that helps - maybe a little? :lol: Kind of depends on what you're looking for, and of course what model speaker you're going with.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

I have a 10" Jensen Blackbird and a 12" TT. Both AlNiCo speakers...

I like the Jensen better overall with the Tramp. It's very balanced sounding speaker. Great tight lows with nice shimmering highs, no extremes really. It just seems to suit the amp well. It's very big sounding too, surprising to some as it is a 10".

The TT is a great speaker I just think the Jensen works better in the Tramp. The TT is a bit darker and smoother. Might suit you if your into that smooth overdriven tones. I like the Jensen's bite and clarity when the amp is overdriven though.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 am 
Expert
Expert

FYI

Emohawk wrote:
Per my previous posts, I think the Red Fang & Tramp were made for each other. Of the speakers I've tried it covers so many tonal bases well, some exceptionally well, and a couple leave me slack-jawed & drooling.

If you do a search you can find Emohawk's thread where he A/B'ed a 10" and 12" Red Fang with the Tramp.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

To save you some time, here's the link...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2175

If you find the 12" Fang is a little boomy, the 10" is tighter in the bottom and retains a similar character overall otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:13 pm 
Friend
Friend

kurtlives wrote:
I have a 10" Jensen Blackbird and a 12" TT. Both AlNiCo speakers...

I like the Jensen better overall with the Tramp. It's very balanced sounding speaker. Great tight lows with nice shimmering highs, no extremes really. It just seems to suit the amp well. It's very big sounding too, surprising to some as it is a 10".

The TT is a great speaker I just think the Jensen works better in the Tramp. The TT is a bit darker and smoother. Might suit you if your into that smooth overdriven tones. I like the Jensen's bite and clarity when the amp is overdriven though.

For what it's worth; I have a 10" 8ohm Jensen Blackbird in my Tramp as well. I really like it, but have not tried a TT.