trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leather-clad Tramp
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:31 pm 

I completed my Tramp earlier this year, but have been so lost in playing it that I never got around to showing you fine fellows any photos of the completed beast. Here's a few, with thanks to everyone who helped with the few questions I had.

Here's the girl all dressed up in leather and cane.
Attachment:
tramp_35.jpg
tramp_35.jpg [ 473.98 KiB | Viewed 15503 times ]

Fully undressed, so you can see my first-ever box joints. Note the room for a 12".
Attachment:
tramp_34.jpg
tramp_34.jpg [ 304.16 KiB | Viewed 15503 times ]

I'm rather (shamefully) proud of my wiring and routing.
Attachment:
tramp_23.jpg
tramp_23.jpg [ 419.32 KiB | Viewed 15503 times ]

Looking down into the chassis.
Attachment:
tramp_22.jpg
tramp_22.jpg [ 550.86 KiB | Viewed 15503 times ]

Closeup of the rotary, wired for multi-tube use.
Attachment:
tramp_26.jpg
tramp_26.jpg [ 435.41 KiB | Viewed 15503 times ]

Aaaand the preamp socket, just 'cause I like 90ยบ lead bends.
Attachment:
tramp_27.jpg
tramp_27.jpg [ 390.09 KiB | Viewed 15503 times ]

Again, thank you to everyone who helped with questions, especially Zaphod, Kurtlives, Snowy and (drumroll) Coco. You guys made this a painless, enjoyable, gorgeous process, and as a result I'm hooked.

Cheers, gents!

- Simon

Post subject: Re: Leather-clad Tramp
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:28 am 
Friend
Friend

Sexy wiring job!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Looking good, nice work, congrats!

How does she sound and what 12" speaker did you decide on?

I've been using a 12" Cannabis Rex with my Tramp it's taking me ages to get the speaker broken in (even at gig volume) but it is noticeably starting to smooth out now after several months and the little Tramp is sounding very fat and loud!

Snowy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 am 

Thanks! The amp is awesome -- great breakup, wonderful chime, excellent sound. Very "fat" sounding, even in tweed/thin mode. I've found the tone controls a bit unresponsive, expecting more control over bass and treble, but I'll check soldering again just in case something isn't fully routing to ground (found that gremlin in a guitar I rewired).

The speaker is an Eminence Red, White and Blues. It's a pretty good speaker, actually, though a little "flubby" at high volumes running a 6L6. It's been breaking in, though, especially lately as I've built a TS9 as a volume kick. MAJOR volume increase, and the RWB seems to be warming up as time goes on. EL34 is the next tube to try, and perhaps I'll cram a Red Fang and a KT88 in there next. You know, just 'cause. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:07 pm 
Expert
Expert

simonh wrote:
Thanks! The amp is awesome -- great breakup, wonderful chime, excellent sound. Very "fat" sounding, even in tweed/thin mode. I've found the tone controls a bit unresponsive, expecting more control over bass and treble, but I'll check soldering again just in case something isn't fully routing to ground (found that gremlin in a guitar I rewired).

The speaker is an Eminence Red, White and Blues. It's a pretty good speaker, actually, though a little "flubby" at high volumes running a 6L6. It's been breaking in, though, especially lately as I've built a TS9 as a volume kick. MAJOR volume increase, and the RWB seems to be warming up as time goes on. EL34 is the next tube to try, and perhaps I'll cram a Red Fang and a KT88 in there next. You know, just 'cause. :)

The tone controls are more subdued then a Fender or Marshall but I would not call them unresponsive. The tone of the amp is pretty balanced and EQ'ed to start, the tone controls allow tweaks of the sound. You should definatly hear a sense of clarity when sweeping the treble control or the low end depth as you sweep the bass control.

Nice looking build btw!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:46 pm 

Hi Kurt -- you're absolutely right. The tone controls were only feeling a bit subdued, but they're certainly working. I'm more used to guitar tone controls, but certainly don't need anything with that kind of cut here. I love it!

One thought: when fully dimed my amp does hum, slightly, but chopsticking reveals nothing. Could this be a soldering issue or do others' amps do the same thing when at full kick?

Thanks again,

S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

If you've got everything maxed you should expect a bit of hum.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice build BTW. Its practically impossible to eliminate all hum on a tube amp. But then maxed, thats pretty darn loud!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:53 pm 

Beautiful work!

I am thinking about buying a Tramp kit for a combo cab and would want to run a 12" speaker.

Did you build your own cab because the Trinity Tramp cab does not accommodate a 12"?

I don't have the ability to build my own cab... do you know if Trinity can custom make a Tramp cab that would handle a 12" speaker?