trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:56 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bgroup wrote:
coco wrote:
I hope someone will record that event.

I could be convinced to record the event for a small, or even better, LARGE fee!!!!!!! hahaha :shock: :o :wink: A laptop in the corner with a stereo soundcard and a 57 on the amp and an omni directional in the room for context would do the trick!! Wouldn't even need to be fed off the board...

What are you doing Sat night at about 8PM? :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:00 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Emohawk wrote:
But, as this is meant to be a pretty simple design I realize some compromise is necessary.

There are no compromises unless you mean by using only two tubes! Try to imagine how hard it is to get this much tone (let alone any decent) out of TWO tubes?? :lol:

We should have called it "Bloodstone". :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
I think it is your personal taste talking Emo!! You're just not going to get what you get from the Triwatt/Fane combo out of the Tramp - it's not supposed to be the same... it's totally different but EQUALLY COOL imo...

I don't doubt that for a second! :D I'm not bringing the Triwatt into the argument though - it's a different animal altogether. I'm just talking about the character of my Triwatt cab (and even the P12Q clone I have for my BFDR) compared to my Celestion-esque cabs.

As I've noted before, I like my overdriven tones a little darker & relaxed in the midrange. That's why I prefer Marshalls (and other similar Brit amps) through my Triwatt cab. That cab also kills with the JCA20H I picked up a couple weeks ago, and it gets on well with Fenders too. It's just a great all-around cab for my tastes.

All I'm saying is considering the foundation of the "Tweed" mode is a Champ/Princeton I would have expected it to be a little more open & round than I hear in these clips. I know that tweeds tend to pucker up quite a bit when you push them (and I love that kinda furry OD you get from them), but this is more than I expected.

Based on what you've said about the TTC with the Tramp, that should be interesting and possibly more to my liking.

I'm not slagging the amp in any way. It's obvious to me from these clips that it has great potential! It's just that the clips aren't quite what I envisioned, and that may be due to any number of factors. Pickups, speaker, recording setup, etc.

I just popped on to Jensen's site & listened to the clips of the 10" Blackbird (obviously not close-miked - sounds like room miking). Now those clips are in the ballpark of what I was expecting from the Tweed mode! So, I suspect the issue (and I use that term gratuitously!) is more likely the recording setup than anything.

So Brent, I'm looking forward to your clips! Get it in gear brother! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:18 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

For reference only, those Jensen sound clips used a Mexican Strat on the neck position only. The volume and tone controls set all the way up.

Clean through a Fender Bassman 70.

Overdriven through a Vox Berkeley Super Reverb (2 EL84's - 18W).

Miked 30 degrees off-axis 1.5 feet away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Emohawk wrote:
But, as this is meant to be a pretty simple design I realize some compromise is necessary.

There are no compromises unless you mean by using only two tubes! Try to imagine how hard it is to get this much tone (let alone any decent) out of TWO tubes?? :lol:

We should have called it "Bloodstone". :lol: :lol:

Now THAT's a killer name for an amp! And a cool Judas Priest tune to boot from my favorite album in their entire catalog.

When I said "compromise", I was just saying that in a 2-tube amp there's only so much you can do versatility wise without completely re-voicing the pre-amp in the different modes. And hey - maybe you are doing that! :) I'm making some assumptions here that may be completely out to lunch regarding the design & complexity of the amp. I'm assuming Tube mode is just playing with a few component values rather then a major re-architecture of the circuit. I do realize that a few components can make a huge difference (see Bassman/JTM45/early Vox).

Now, with THAT said, I will admit that the normal channel on my BFDR build does sound very Marshally when wound out with my roommate's ridiculously hot LP (hard to believe it has the factory 490R/498T). I expect the JJ 6V6's I have in there are contributing to that. However, it's nowhere near as compressed & middy as these clips sound (with the understanding that the BF circuit is brighter & more "open" than the tweed circuits, generally speaking).

Maybe I'll just have to build one & judge for myself! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

Just listening to Brent's clips. Previous comments rescinded... :oops:

No offense to J-rock, BTW! Love that you did these & got the blood pumpin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Just listening to Brent's clips.

viewtopic.php?t=1985

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
I'm assuming Tube mode is just playing with a few component values rather then a major re-architecture of the circuit. I do realize that a few components can make a huge difference

We, remove the negative feedback for 'tude which is a significant circuit change and add a couple of parts on triode 2 cathode to increase the gain and brighten it up. So yes, a few key components and significant design change.

Thanks j-rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yes, tude mode removes the constraints of both the local and "global" negative feedback, which are features of the Tweed Champ/Princeton, allowing the amp to breathe more. It also biases the 2nd preamp stage warmer to get a thicker, more Marshall style, crunch, when overdriven. The overall topology of the amp stays the same apart from those small but very key changes.

Emohawk wrote:
All I'm saying is considering the foundation of the "Tweed" mode is a Champ/Princeton I would have expected it to be a little more open & round than I hear in these clips.

For a more open tone, you would really want the 'tude mode. That's really what that mode is about. In Tweed mode there's a lot of negative feedback being applied, which is compressing the tone and also making it more "woolly" sounding like a true 3Fx series Champ/Princeton (in the words of one of our testers who also owns a Tweed Princeton). Other than that, what you're hearing in these clips is the character of each guitar pushing a small low-power amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Phil, Emo rescinded his comments after hearing the clips!!! ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2