trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Tramp Gets a Gig
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Jim Armstrong of Sonic Deli Band had tried a Tramp in it's early stages and was doing a local gig. He called and asked if I had a Tramp for him to take out.

Jim has had much success since Sonic Deli launched his solo debut Mudtown in May 2007, drawing comparisons to the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Randy Bachman and Steve Earle. He has composed music for many independent feature and corporate films as well as television (including a song on episode nine of CBC´s series, MVP; The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives). Jim is currently finishing his new album, Junction Road, due for release this summer.
Jim is backed by The Sonic Deli Band which includes Jeff Beauchamp (XMen, Vince Gill, Jason McCoy) on bass, drummer Alvin Lapp, (Buddy Guy, Goo Goo Dolls, The Jayhawks), and Val Oddo on lead guitar

Since he tried the amp, we had replaced the OT, made at least a dozen changes inside, significantly changed the power bypass cap and 'tude bypass cap since Brent's report. We left the Jensen Blackbird Jet , 10" Alnico in there. Phil had fitted a 6L6 in there now (louder, more headroom for a gig) so I applied some makeup (painted the baffle) and Jim drove 'round with his 'chauffeur' and picked up the Tramp for a date. They looked beautiful together!

I had to go to the gig to chaperon because Jim has fallen in love. :wink: :wink:

Jim plays mostly Rhythm, and a Tele, so you wont hear screaming guitar solos from him (that's Val's job and he's great at it. Val's in line to try a Tramp).
In the gig, amps were miked, I heard some fantastic Tele cleans and nice country crunch and he never touched the Tramp! He played it on 'tude mode at about 6 or 7 on the gain dial, I think. I had to listen hard due to the mix but the boys in the band said that on stage, they could hear it loud and clear so it cut through the stage mix. They liked what they heard. Great sonic frequency spread, nice and smooth, warm sounding and loud enough to hear.

All told, a great gig, great music and as for Jim, I let him take the Tramp home but I'll go over, pick it up and have a man-to-man talk with him about G.A.S. and being a responsible owner.

Last edited by coco on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:43 pm 

Hi Stephen:

Andrea here - am sure that Jim will respond after his nap (he had a 'hot" date with a Tramp last night!)

Thanks so much for letting us take that amazing amp to the gig. The guys loved it and even from my non-tech perspective it sounds great. Hope you enjoyed yourself.

Am fairly certain that Val wants to date her next (if possible at our big Benefit Concert for Epilepsy Toronto March 20th @ The Cadillac Lounge) wonder what the Tramp would sound like with the Tweed together on stage, hmm? (hint: am pimpin' here - and doing shameless self-promotion!)

Thanks again, Stephen :D

Songwriter/President
Sonic Deli Records
www.sonicdelirecords.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You got a date. Tramp 'n Tweed!! How cool that will be 8)

March 20th, BOOK IT!!

Members if you are in Toronto on March 20th, one word GO and see this band!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:57 pm 

Stephen, have we told you yet today how much we love you???? :wink:

Thank you!!! Jim & Val will be soooooo surprised and excited (they don't know about my leetle plan yet)

We really appreciate this :D

xo A

Songwriter/President
Sonic Deli Records
www.sonicdelirecords.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:06 pm 

Jim's settings were:

Gain Setting - pulled and on 7
Tweed/Tude - Tude
Fat/Thin - Fat
Bass - 6
Treble - 5
Master Volume - 7
Level - 6

Songwriter/President
Sonic Deli Records
www.sonicdelirecords.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:47 am 
Expert
Expert

As one of the amp's designers, I'm real stoked about this! Some great feedback there. I had just finished the final tweaks on this amp earlier that same day. I'm real glad the Tramp worked for you guys! :D :D :D

Sonic Deli wrote:
Am fairly certain that Val wants to date her next (if possible at our big Benefit Concert for Epilepsy Toronto March 20th @ The Cadillac Lounge)...

The Sonic Deli web site says it's on the 19th. So which date is the right one, the 19th or the 20th...? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:36 pm 

Ooops - Gremlins!

Thanks for bringing that date error to our attention (fixed now)

Here's the correct info for our benefit show:

March is National Epilepsy Awareness Month in Canada and once again, Sonic Deli Records and Jim Armstrong (who has epilepsy) are proud to present,

5th Annual Benefit Concert in support of Epilepsy Toronto

Who: Jim Armstrong & The Sonic Deli Band with Grainne Ryan
When: Saturday, March 20, 2010
Where: Cadillac Lounge - 1300 Queen Street West, Toronto
Doors: 9:00pm
Cover: $10.00 (proceeds to Epilepsy Toronto)

Its an opportunity to experience great music AND support a worthy charity. It would be wonderful to see many of you there!

Songwriter/President
Sonic Deli Records
www.sonicdelirecords.com

Post subject: Tramp and Tweed
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:28 pm 

Hi Stephen, the Tramp sounds like a winner. I could here every note that Jim played and it fit the mix on stage perfectly. It worked great in a two guitar situation and allowed me to here my guitar even with my low wattage setup. The voicing of the amp was the charm as it did not step on anyone's frequencies. I am looking forward to playing the amp Saturday evening at the Caddy. Val

Post subject: Trinity Deluxe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 pm 

Hi Stephen, I just wanted to say a few things about the Trinity Deluxe. The minute I plugged into the amp it was like magic. It gave my Tele a full sound with a fantastic low end for a single 12" combo. There is plenty of tone shaping capability and the two volume controls offer up all of the variety in gain you need in an amp. It also responds wonderfully to to dynamic playing and worked well with my Tube Screamer and RV-3 pedals. After the C'est What show when I used the amp someone came up to me and said ( I don't know where you are getting that sound from: it must be magic! ) I think that says it all!

I would recommend this amp to anyone in search of pure guitar tone. This amp is the perfect gigging amp and I could see myself using this amp to cover any gig.

Val

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:31 am 

Hi Guys:

Jim here - Val describes perfectly how the Tramp handled/sounded the other night at C'est What. The guys in the band noticed it too. After the sets people were coming up to me and saying how they loved hearing the music and I know from my end that the secret weapon was that amp. For the first time when playing live I could really hear my Tele! We're really looking forward to using both amps on Saturday night. I never want to play another show without a Trinity again.

Songwriter/President
Sonic Deli Records
www.sonicdelirecords.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

So the Sonic Deli Band played at the Cadillac Lounge last night 20 March. Two sets of original music written by Jim. Val played the Tramp on lead and Jim used the Tweed Deluxe.

L-R: Val Oddo lead, Jim Armstrong , Vocals Rhythm, Jeff Beauchamp on bass, Alvin Lapp on drums.

Jim on the Tweed sounded great. Smooth and clean with some nice OD on demand. What more can be said about a Tele & Tweed?

Val Oddo playing lead on the Tramp at Cadillac Lounge.

Settings were Fat, Tweed, Bass & Trable at about 7, Master 7 to almost 9 , VRM about 7 - 9. 6L6 Tramp version.

Sound was clean to crunchy. For OD Val mostly used a (Tube Screamer?) pedal. Also a Wah at times.

The playing was great. The tramp hung in there and delivered. Clean smooth sounds with punch on demand. I was very pleased that two tubes could sound this good. Val never tried it on tude but that would have given a little more sparkle and gain.

He received more than one comment on his playing and questions about the amp.

Before I knew it, it was 2AM and time to head home.

Good time, some good new friends too!

Will see if we can get some tracks of the show and post them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:08 pm 

Jim Armstrong (& the Sonic Deli Band) - Thanks to all who came out in support of our Benefit Concert for Epilepsy Toronto. Grainne, Alvin, Jeff, Val & Jim totally rocked the roof off the Caddy! T'was packed - there was dancing, imbibing, cheering, incredible Trinity tube amps (thanks to Stephen Cohrs) & AWESOME tuneage. Many thanks to host Sam Grosso & his amazing staff. Ah well, this will be THE show to try & beat - so far it ranks as the best-est ever!

The above was posted on our Facebook Fanpage and so seemed appropriate to let the Trinity Forum know how the evening went. Stay tuned for some sound clips...

Thanks again, Stephen for allowing the guys to use these beautiful amps!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !! :D

Jim & Andrea

Songwriter/President
Sonic Deli Records
www.sonicdelirecords.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 am 
Expert
Expert

Sounds like it was a way cool night! I just wish I could have been there to enjoy the fun and hear the Tramp being gigged again.
coco wrote:
Sound was clean to crunchy. For OD Val mostly used a (Tube Screamer?) pedal.

A Tubescreamer into a Tweed amp is a classic combination. I tried that combination once myself and it was a lot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:50 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Val and Jim were over to try a few other amps last night and I confirmed with Val it was the Tube Screamer.

The sIII & TC15 sounded awesome through Val's Strat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
The sIII & TC15 sounded awesome through Val's Strat!

Shouldn't that be the other way round? :)