trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

yes, mostly Tweed, but it sounds like there's a smattering of 'Tude here... but that night it was ALL about Tweed. Apparently the new revision will change all that... ;)

Glad the clips are working for you guys! It's not often I meet an amp that's THAT bulletproof right off the bat... Stephen's going to move a small country's worth of these... :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:38 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Now THOSE sound good. I certainly need to work on my recording technique. Ah well, another lesson learned!

Sounds more like what I heard when playing this rig, if you take away the chops, pedals and the good recording technique evidenced in these clips! :D

I'll be negotiating with coco the terms of my Tramp purchase today!

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:46 am 
Expert
Expert

J-Rock wrote:
Now THOSE sound good. I certainly need to work on my recording technique. Ah well, another lesson learned!

Sounds more like what I heard when playing this rig, if you take away the chops, pedals and the good recording technique evidenced in these clips! :D

I'll be negotiating with coco the terms of my Tramp purchase today!

J.

Don't feel bad dude! From what I've heard of Brent's work he's in a completely different league! Of the handful of clips I've recorded, if they actually sounded good I assure you it was more chance than by design!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:09 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
but that night it was ALL about Tweed. Apparently the new revision will change all that... Wink

A little 'tude will add some gain & sparkle onto that tweed tone. It's all good and you know I like the bright stuff! 8)

Last edited by coco on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah, but it won't stop me from learning :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:22 pm 
Expert
Expert

The important thing to remember is that the Tramp is pretty much stripped down to the bare basics, with just a 2-stage preamp and a power tube. The only luxuries it has, if you can call them that, are the TB tone controls and the VVR. So what you hear coming out of the amp is *very* dependent on what is being put into the amp, without any extra stages to smooth out the differences. At max gain and volume, say in Tweed mode, it will barely breakup with weak single coil pickups, while it will get a pretty aggressive grind with some big H/Bs driving it, or a boost pedal. So what we're hearing in these clips is very much a function of what's driving the amp in each of the clips. Tweed mode is also somewhat darker and more compressed than 'tude mode, just like a true 3F series Champ or Princeton. 'tude mode is more Plexi-like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:05 pm 

Hey Everyone, Rob here...
Haven't been on in a while, sorry, I am a recent Dad...
I was lucky enough to join in at the Chapel when the Tramp proto made it's Quinte West showing (after the clips were laid down though, unfortunately). I thought I would pipe in with my .008 cents worth (with inflation these days...)
My experience comes from the fact that in my collection, I have:
a '63 Fender Champ,
an early '60s Epiphone Pacemaker,
an early '60s Supro Bantam,
An early '60s Gibson Skylark,
an old Bogen PA rebuilt to the same circuit as a Gibson 2 tube, 3 to 5 watt head,
an old tube radio converted over to a champ style circuit,
and a modern Fender Champion 600...

That being said, I LOVE little tube amps that I can jack right up and make them bounce across the floor without being ear killers...

My opinion on the Tramp was that it had a tremendous amount going for it for a small 2 tube amplifier. It had a depth of sound and a harmonic richness to it, that most of the small amps I have played, have not come even close to. The VVR allowed us to come up with some cool saturated sounds, but not hit the speaker that hard and I liked to be able to control that. I showed up after boys had recorded and been playing a bit, so Brent showed me the little magic things he does and there was some really cool tricks and feels that can be generated by using a magical combination of knobs... For this amp, I like the 10" speaker that was in it, but I love having a speaker out on all of my amps so I can try other cabs and speakers...
In my humble opinion, this amp is in the right spot as a simple small, amp with it's own characteristic tone. The Trinity stuff Brent and Stephen have let me play, ALL sparkle and shine and have such a rich harmonically laden sound, that they each have their own personality and sell themselves individually with that. Once again, in my opinion, the 'tude mode, was an option I would want on a larger amp, but maybe not here. If changes have been made, I would love to check that out too and maybe it would make me reconsider...
All in all, it is a great little amp, with way more to it than any other little guy I have checked out in a long time!
So, I hope this adds to everyones interest and need to have a TRAMP!!!
Cheers,
Rob

BTW< according to everything I have read, and I haven't pulled the guitar apart yet, my Gibson Les Paul Classic, has a 500T in the bridge... It is the one that has the pickguard with 1960 inscribed into it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

Re 'tude mode, check out this thread - viewtopic.php?p=18199 :D

FYI some folks may also be aware of an SE amp I designed some years ago, which became (as it still is) popular with lots of DIY builders around the world. Even got favourable comments from Jack White of the White Stripes when he jammed with one. In 'tude mode the Tramp becomes that same amp. My original aim in designing it had been to see if I could recreate the Marshall Plexi vibe in a real small and simple amp. This time with the Tramp, the aim was to see if we could then also go back at will to the more constrained tones of a 3Fx Tweed Champ/Princeton at the flip of a switch. I don't expect the 'tude mode to be everyone's cup of tea, nor do I expect the Tweed mode to be. Echoing the comments of kurtlives in a previous post, IMO both are good in different ways, and hopefully that means there's something for everyone in this amp. :)