trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramp Preorder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

For the record, I want dibs on Tramp kit #1, and you may as well order me a TT 10" alnico for it and build a cab as well... :)

AJC

Post subject: Re: preorder
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ajcoholic wrote:
For the record, I want dibs on Tramp kit #1, and you may as well order me a TT 10" alnico for it and build a cab as well... :)

AJC

AJC, check the 10" TTC as well... Stephen loaded 4 of them into an old empty Marshall 4x10 I had, and man I LOVE them! Dare I say I might even prefer them to my 12" TTA's!!! Don't get me wrong, the 12" TTA's are awesome, but there's something special going on in those ceramic 10's!!!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:56 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I always go to the alnico. Just love that smooth, compressed sound. The cermics will bite your @ss.

Order noted!

Post subject: Re: preorder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:34 am 
Experienced
Experienced

bgroup wrote:
ajcoholic wrote:

AJC

AJC, check the 10" TTC as well... Stephen loaded 4 of them into an old empty Marshall 4x10 I had, and man I LOVE them! Dare I say I might even prefer them to my 12" TTA's!!! Don't get me wrong, the 12" TTA's are awesome, but there's something special going on in those ceramic 10's!!!!

how about one of each so I can try both?? :)

Or a 2x10 combo with switchable speakers? (one, the other or both?)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
I always go to the alnico. Just love that smooth, compressed sound. The cermics will bite your @ss.

One man's bite is another man's spank! I love the ceramic spank. I'm coming down to the city the weekend of the 27th...gonna have the kits ready? heheh... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Grew up with alnico and prefer ceramic.
Fianally heard a set of tone tubbies(ceramic) Probably the brightest speakers I have heard in a while, could have been the cab as well. It was a sealed ported cab, with a tone control(?) maybe has a horn in it? Did not get a chance to talk to the owner, but boy did that cut through the mix, clear crisp and comfortably loud. (300 seat bar)

These are what I buy for whatever I build now. The price is right with good quality and sound.

Like these 10" at $41 ea cdn
Key Features
One piece paper cone & edge
Seamed Cone
Power handling = 20 watts RMS
Stamped basket
Solid dust cap
20 watts
Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonate Fq = 110 Hz
Vas (recommended box size) = .780 Ft^3
Qms = 9.873
Qes = 1.234
Qts = 1.097
SPL = 96 dB

Mounting Dimensions
4 screw holes equally spaced (approximately 9.75” center to center )
overall height is 4”
speaker weight is 3.0 lbs

I would like to hear them side by side with the tone tubbies but haven't had the opp yet.

I was going to buy and build 2 tramps but now it is looking like that number is going up as some friends get interested.

But I am ordering 2 to start with, that is as soon as they are available for order.

Tele's make the best noise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I am getting the Heyboer trasnformers lined up and then will try them. Then chassis, panels then kits are ready.

I will start to note pre-orders now and think we're looking at 4-6 weeks now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:25 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Just waiting patiently to send you some cash, so you can send me my new drug. I forgot how much fun tube ctt.s are to play with.
Now how about designing an alternate i/p stage for me so I can run a small watt stereo head???????? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:16 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Taz13 wrote:
Just waiting patiently to send you some cash, so you can send me my new drug. I forgot how much fun tube ctt.s are to play with.
Now how about designing an alternate i/p stage for me so I can run a small watt stereo head???????? :twisted:

LOL, there's an extra hole for a 9 pin tube. I'm hoping some creative juices get flowing with the builders and we get some cool add-ons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

4 - 6 weeks... thats cool.

I should have my other stuff done by then (JTM45 abd rewiring the stangray)

DONT FORGET... I would like to have speaker and a nice little cab (tolexed) as well for mine. Is that too much to ask?

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:30 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm gonna hold off for the moment. I know - you expected me to all over it, huh? :)

Gotta finish my Deluxe Reverb first & get Stephen to build a cab for it. Plus I already have 2 low-wattage amps, but I may flip the Vox...still undecided. It may go toward some guitar gas I've had brewing the last few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

Put me in the queue for a kit.

I ordered a 10" Red Fang today for $150 CAD (brfore the huge Eminence price increase takes effect next week)

I'm getting a Dr Z 1x10 cab with a Ragin' Cajun in it...so either the Rajin' Cajun' or the Red fang will be the speaker for the Tramp 8)

Emohawk...I'll build this one!!!

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

OK - but you know where to find me... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:16 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Tried the 10" Jensens Jet Alnico. Bit brittle so still needs to be broken in. Ordered a Tone tubby San Rapael- should be here next week. Taz, tThought I might try those WHS Veteren 10s and have looked over the Lib Buddy too (hemp cones).

More soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
Taz, tThought I might try those WHS Veteren 10s

Yeah, I hope to as well, but first I have to be able to order a Tramp!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:21 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We're getting there. First amp I think you can say it can do justice to Fender & Marshall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:49 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Comments from a local player:

I am liking the tramp a lot. After playing around with it for a couple of hours I got some really good overdriven tones from it from both my Les Paul and my Tele. From Aerosmith crunch to Keith Richards' growl.

I compared it with my Princeton. The Tramp is much brighter and has more of a Marshall sounding overdrive when in 'tude mode. The volumes are comparable but I would say the Tramp has a bit of an edge in the volume. (FYI the Princeton has a 6L6 in it)

I did not notice a huge difference when using the power scaler (VRM) knob.
I messed around with it both in clean and overdriven modes. When fully overdriven (all volumes to 10) the scaler made more of a difference than when in cleaner modes.

I did use the pull switch alot for switching from clean to dirty. I thought a footswitch for this would be helpful and broadens the range of its us - from practice amp to small club amp - especially if you can throw in more powerful tubes (6L6 or KT66).

As far as the cleans go, it is somewhere in between the tweed and the blackface. Not as jangly as the blackface but less wooly than the tweed. The clean has to be at a low volume but I think that is expected when the amp overdrives easily.

It definitely gets that Marshall tone! (in 'tude mode)

I like the idea of the two inputs that we discussed sat. The bright is good for humbuckers and the normal for single coils.

After playing it some more, I think the speaker has a lot to do with the brightness I am hearing. This could be the break-in factor but I think the tone tubby would sound better. Not as sharp and a little more warm crunchiness.

- Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Currently I'm hitting the Jensen Jet with 6.3 VAC to see if it can soften up some before the Tone Tubby gets here.

Been running for about 4 hours now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:51 am 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Tried the 10" Jensens Jet Alnico. Bit brittle so still needs to be broken in. Ordered a Tone tubby San Rapael- should be here next week. Taz, tThought I might try those WHS Veteren 10s and have looked over the Lib Buddy too (hemp cones).

More soon.

At the risk of bringing up the dreaded Dr Z :shock:

I just ordered a new Monza (high gain 2xEL 84) and that amp comes stock with a Red Fang. The point being that the prototype amp was built around the Jensen Jet and they changed it out because the speaker was brittle/bright. However, the Red Fang seems to be the ticket.

So, i suspect a Tramp with a Red Fang (10") would be sweet 8)

Too bad Eminence just doubled their Red Fang pricing...but I did just get one this week at old pricing...before the increase 8)

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It might be. We looked at the 'lil buddy too. Hemp cone but if we like the Tone Tubby San Raphael speaker, you know what's going in the first one!

So far we liked what we heard.