trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:02 am 

I recently bought a used tramp in excellent condition. After much research, I decided to pair it with a Tone Tubby Chicago blue speaker (AlNico 30 watt). It’s the darkest amp I’ve ever played through. I was playing with a strat with single coils and I had to max out the treble just to get a usable tone. Is this normal for this amp? I researched the Chicago Blue speaker before purchasing and nothing ped me to believe that it would darken the amp and reduce presence. I’ll admit that so far I’ve only used the amp with a vintage RCA 6v6 and the stock 12ax7. Im not sure changing the preamp tube would add treble/presence. I also have a 50 watt Jupiter 12LA AlNico speaker I can try. I just wanted to check here before doing that because mounting a speaker in this cabinet was a huge hassle that involved me taking off both rear panels and the chassis. Any advice is appreciated. It’s also my first post on the forum! Wohoo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:18 pm 

is anyone out there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:59 pm 

There is me, but I am not a pro one in this field. Therefore, I cannot give you a good suggesttion.
Stickman Boost

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:14 pm 

update: I have now tested the amp with EL34, 6V6, and 5881 tubes as well as different preamp tubes. I also tried out a telecaster and p-90 equipped guitars. Same results. It still seems dark compared to my other amps and maxing out the treble is where it sounds the most usable. I compared it side by side with a Magnatone Varsity (12 watt) and also tried swapping a couple different speakers. Still not sure if it's the circuit or maybe there is a value that is off in the build that seemed to darken up the amp. I still love the overdrive and tones, just trying to get used to the sound.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:23 pm 

I don't think so, no. Mine sounds great with the tone controls at 12 o'clock.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

I’m in agreement with “Kerrvert” that it isn’t a dark circuit. I’m playing a Telecaster with Fender Pure Vintage 64 pickups and being too dark is not an issue.

-Brian