trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:43 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello All,

So I finished my Tramp about 3 months ago and have fully enjoyed not only the build process but also playing this amp.

I generally play the amp with what I believe are the "Champ" settings: Gain 6-7, Bass 6, Treble 6, Volume 11, Power (VRM) 9-11.

My questions is this: how much tonal range should I see when I roll either the bass or treble knobs?

More specifically, on my amp, when I roll either the treble or bass from one extreme to the other i.e from min to max, I am only hearing a minimal tone shift. The effect is very slight.

Any ideas what I might check?

- I am running a JJ ECC83s and JJ 6L6

Thanks!
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:01 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I don't have the amp so I'm assuming it should have some range in the controls.
Owners might be able to add more insight than i could.
A picture might help to see if there is something wrong in the wiring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

With mine there is a definite 'tonal' difference on treble and bass from min to max..... Try putting the treble all the way up and the bass all the way down, then reverse them and see if you get a difference. Use the bridge pickup on your guitar and turn the tone knob all the way up. See if you get a significant tonal different through the amp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks guys,
Andrew, I did as you suggested with regard to bridge pickup, tone up, and experimenting between max range with amps bass and treble. There is a difference, but it is extremely slight. For comparison, I would expect to see something close to what happens when you put a guitar's tone pot through it's range. Nowhere close to that.

I have double checked the wiring and all seems to be correct - not sure if it is possibly a bad pot or maybe a board component? Here are some pics:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

I thought I would try it out myself just for argument sake. Set to tweed-thin, if I have the treble and bass both set to 6, the tonal difference rolling the tone knob on the guitar all the way off is greater than the range of just the amp. The guitar I was using has a El Rayo humbucker in the bridge position, 500k pots and 0.047 resistor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hmmm.....could be I was expecting more range than is realistic with the tonestack :hmmm:

I actually have been playing with both tone knobs at 6 and "thin" and have found my happy tones.....it was just playing around that I was expecting to see more of a range with the tone knobs.

I will keep experimenting and maybe try to post a clip of both extremes so we can then definitively say I am crazy :D

Thanks for the help!
Christian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:51 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The tone controls are fairly subtle. They are based on Marshall TMB stack though with the mids fixed in mod position.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:05 pm 

Idk if you still have your Tramp but I’ve noticed a big increase in the tone controls’ range with my MOOER Echo/Verb pedal in front of the amp. It’s a $70 pedal that actually is pretty good. I have no idea WHY it increases the range of the controls but it definitely does! Try a couple reverb,various modulation, or eq pedals in front of the amp. The MOOER is digital so maybe that has something to do with it? I really have no idea. I haven’t built many pedals.