trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:59 am 

matt_garman wrote:
With KT66 tubes installed, the Triwatt is rated at 33 watts, per the product page. Why only 33 watts? Wouldn't an amp using a pair of KT66 tubes typically be rated for closer to 50 watts?

I am contemplating tweaking my Triwatt for use with EL34 tubes (I have the newer output transformer with the 3.5k primaries). Would the total rated power change with EL34 tubes? It seems most amps with a pair of EL34s (which is fairly common) are rated at 50 watts.

More specifically, would the amount of available headroom change when using EL34 versus KT66 tubes? My main goal in doing the conversion is that I have another amp that uses EL34 tubes, and only EL34. As much as I like KT66 tubes, they are expensive, and I'd like to "streamline" my tube inventory. But I don't want to give up any headroom on the Triwatt (and if I could get a little more headroom, that would be a plus). cuphead

Thanks!

Thanks for your question!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:49 pm 

The Immaculate Grid is another popular vacuum tube used in audio and guitar amplifiers. It was developed by Mullard in the mid-1950s and has become a staple in many amplifier designs due to its versatile sound characteristics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:17 pm 
Friend
Friend

The amount of available headroom can be affected by the choice of tubes, but it's not solely determined by the tube type. The Triwatt's circuit and design also play a significant role in headroom. EL34 tubes are known for their slightly different tonal characteristics compared to KT66 tubes. They may offer a different sound profile and breakup point, but the exact impact on fnf online headroom will depend on the specific changes made during the conversion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:56 am 

The EL34 is known for its robustness and high power word hurdle handling capabilities. It is commonly rated for an output power of around 25 to 30 watts per tube when used in push-pull configuration in guitar amplifiers.