trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:22 pm 

I've been lurking around here, looking hard at this amp for a build. Some questions for those in the know.
Does the Triwatt have enuff headroom with the KT66s to play clean and keep up with a drummer unmiked?
Talkin' funk/country etc clean........with a 2 12 cab.
Do you have to buy the "factory build" to get the foot switchable option for the gain/boost?
And if you can get that with the kit, are the proper holes punched in the chassis, to facilitate this addition?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:23 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
I've been lurking around here, looking hard at this amp for a build. Some questions for those in the know.
Does the Triwatt have enuff headroom with the KT66s to play clean and keep up with a drummer unmiked?
Talkin' funk/country etc clean........with a 2 12 cab.

Hell's yes! No doubt about this.

Quote:
Do you have to buy the "factory build" to get the foot switchable option for the gain/boost?
And if you can get that with the kit, are the proper holes punched in the chassis, to facilitate this addition?

Pretty sure you can get a footswitch add on kit with your amp kit. Probably a small up charge but it would include all the parts along with the chassis all nicely punched for you. O and documentation too!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

kurtlives wrote:
O and documentation too!

Even with the docs, it's not easy to figure out, even after you've built a few. Personally, I don't recommend DIYing the footswitch option - and I don't even think it's really all that necessary.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:57 am 

Could you elaborate a bit on that point? why is it difficult, why unnecessary?
This feature is one of the reasons I was looking at this design.....
HW sound with a gain/boost feature (would be a very useful feature to me for gigs).
Yeah, I know I could hit it with a pedal, etc but, I like onboard amp gain boosts if possible first, then pedals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:19 am 
Expert
Expert

The Boost switch is on a push/pull pot that's real easy to operate, unless you really need to play 20 feet away from your amp. Unless you're a fairly experienced builder, the extra circuitry for the pedal and relay carries a genuine risk of introducing hum/buzz and oscillation into the amp. We're talking of boosted gain levels equivalent to a Soldano here, so the construction is real critical.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:39 am 

That's exactly what would be going on.......well, maybe 5 or 10 feet (I wish the stages I play were that big ;-)
On the fly, mid song, gain boosting, etc.
I have electronics experience (my dad and uncle had a repair/sales shop from the early 70s til the early 90s, that I worked in for most of that time period as a kid and on, we did TV/Stereo/VCR/MW, etc repairs and I even used to sell records there as well ;-)
So, while this would be my first amp build, I have time behind a soldering iron inside of various types of chassis's, also do my own work on my amps as well these days.
I'll take what you say under advisement.........and bug the hell out of you guys if I get the option and run into trouble. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

To your question, a resounding yes. Plenty of volume !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

You might want to get your overdrive from pedals like. This way you have all your gain on tap and you can use different pedals to get certain tones.

Hell yeah, I am using a powerbooster, tube driver, russian muff and a rams head muff. Each has its own unique tones and the best part is: they all work brilliantly with the Triwatt. Seriously, it loves all pedals!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:10 am 
Friend
Friend

Is it the EHX Green Russian? If so how do you find it ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

intothefloyd wrote:
Is it the EHX Green Russian? If so how do you find it ?

It's awesome! I am using a Buffalo FX rams head as may rams head muff (think The Wall) and the EHX Green Russian for later Floyd stuff (think Sorrow).
Based on my experience and everything i have read on the internet, the EHX Green Russian is almost the exact same sound as the vintage version of it. Albeit a chunk cheaper and smaller in term of pedalboard footprint.