trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sound clips Triwatt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:25 am 
Novice
Novice

As promised, I would share a sound clip of my Trtiwatt which I built about a year ago.
I took longer than expected since I had to sound proof my room for my neighbours and I did not yet have the right recording equipment.
Anyway, now I have!

I recorded the solo of Mother by Pink Floyd.
Below the settings:
Linked input
Normal channel: 1:00
Bright channel: 11:30
Bass:12:00
Middle: 2:00
Treble: 10:30
Presence: 2:00
Master volume: as desired, mine's at 9:30 (that's loud enough! :lol:)

Signal chain:
Fender strat with SSL-2/SSL-2/SSL-6 configuration. Used the SSL-6 in this clip.
into > Buffalo FX Ram's head > Buffalo FX Power Booster > Vintage Dluxe Electric Mistress ( set about 50% in loop using a Lehle Parallel mixer) > Boss RT-20 (realy mildly, don't overdo this one)> The beautiful Triwatt.
Delay and reverb was added in the mix to keep things clean.
Used a Sennheiser E906 off-axis with the presence toggle set to flat.

The speaker that I use is a Reeves Vintage purple. Highly recommended! I have swapped out around a dozen speakers and this one is definetly it imho.
I find that the Triwatt (and Hiwatt amps in general) are very picky about speaker choice.
You can just contact Reeves through e-mail. They do ship them separately. Delivery was insanely fast. USA -> Netherlands just took a single weekend (shipped friday, got it on monday).

Let me know what you guys think of it!
And for those who do not (yet) own a Triwatt. Go build one or get one prebuild. It is really as great as they say it is!

More clips comming if desired. I am re-recording the whole "The Wall" album doing guitars and vocals myself.

Feel free to share your clips as well. I am very curious to know what sound you guys get out of this beast.

Cheers!

Attachments:
Mother solo Triwatt.mp3 [1.44 MiB]
Downloaded 550 times

Post subject: Re: Sound clips Triwatt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your kind words!
It is pretty hard to find musicians in my neighborhood. Guys from my age (26) are usually not into musical instruments.
And then I have got find those who are hardcore Pink Floyd fans like me haha. Nearly impossible... That is why I opted to re-record the album doing guitars and vocals myself.

Regarding the self-isolating project. Send me a DM if you need some advice. My project has turned out quite well tbh. My neighbors stopped complaining, so mission accomplished!

My recording gear is not that sophisticated.
I am using the Sennheisser E906 into an Audient ID14 going into my computer (Acer Aspire i7)
My DAW is Cubase Elements 10.5 in which I do the mixing (compression, EQ, delay, reverb).
I learned that recording without delay and reverb is best since that prevents overflowing the track.
You can always add those later with some plugins. It is hard to spot the difference between plugin and real stompbox delays in a mix.
I use a pair of Adam A7X monitors and the Sennheisser HD6 Mix headphones for mixing.

By the way, my PI tube is an 12AX7 tube. You should try it. It really sharpens and fattens the tone on low volume. Can't comment on high volume though.

I will send some new clips when I have recorded and mixed them.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 am 
Novice
Novice

The tubes I use are as follows:
V1 t/m V4: Tung Sol 12AX7
PT: JJ 6V6 matched

I used a Jan Philips 12AT7WC as my PI but switched that for the Tung Sol 12AX7 to give the amp a little more bite and saturation at low (bedroomish) level.

Regarding C6. I did indeed switch that to a 22n which sounded good on its own, but it sounded a bit muddy in the mix. I then swapped back and forth between several values and eventually settled with a value in between the original value (1n) and suggested 22n, being 10nf.

I found that that gives me enough bass without it being muddy. Also, with that value I can keep my bass control at noon and use that to increase or decrease the bass if I would like.

I am still in the process of recording and getting to know my DAW but you will find a short clip as an attachment.

Attachments:
ITF test.mp3 [2.86 MiB]
Downloaded 456 times

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:59 am 
Friend
Friend

Gertjan, I just ordered the Triwatt kit and had questions about your tubes. Are they the current production tung sols? Also have you tried any others? I'll have to make a tube order anyway for whatever power tubes I'll choose, so I could throw some pres on order too. I've got a bunch of the sovtek long plates and a handful of others. I've got three new TS as well but they're tied up in my 18 watt and they're DEFINITELY not coming out of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yes, I am running the current production TS 12AX7s since that was what Stephen suggested.
Haven't tried others though so please post your findings and I might be doing some tube rolling myself! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:43 am 
Novice
Novice

Hi guys,

As promised, another sound clip.
This time I did another brick in the wall part 1.
Don't mind the vocals tho, this is about the guitar and the wonderful amp.
All guitar parts were done by me using my buddy: The Trinity Triwatt.
It is the perfect David Gilmour amp!

Opinions are more than welcome.
@Steve, perhaps you would like to use these for sales measures (aduio samples). Feel free to do so. I got all seperate files if you like.

Regards,
Gertjan

Attachments:
ABITW pt.1 OZ.mp3 [4.52 MiB]
Downloaded 480 times

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Gertjan these clips really showcase the amp! Great playing and thanks for sharing!

As for tubes, I am currently running a NOS 12AT7 as the PI but may swap out a couple of AX7s to hear the difference. The tone I am getting from the amp is really great so I am hesitant to change anything. No circuit mods at this point but I may try out some of the tweaks just for fun (e.g. Page, Townsend).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks you guys for the kind words. Ik will keep adding these showcase. Next up is The Thin Ice. It's got a great solo for the Triwatt + rams head. Loving the tone!

@PharmRock, swapping the PI obviously is a very easy mod. The ax7 gives it earlier break up. I use it to not having to put the amp very loud in my recording room. I can get easier to the edge of break up that way. You might want to try it out. Personally I would not recommend it in live situations when you need a loud amp since it will stay pretty dirty, unless that is what you are looking for of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:01 am 
Novice
Novice

PharmRock wrote:
As for tubes, I am currently running a NOS 12AT7 as the PI but may swap out a couple of AX7s to hear the difference. The tone I am getting from the amp is really great so I am hesitant to change anything. No circuit mods at this point but I may try out some of the tweaks just for fun (e.g. Page, Townsend).

Hey man, did you ended up doing some mods or tube rolling? I am curious to your experience.

I ended up switching to a 0.0047uf C6 cap instead of the 0.01uf I had installed. That is right between the original value (0.001nf) and the one I used for the last few months (0.01nf).

It is really sounding awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

As promised (although a little later than planned*): The Thin Ice - Pink Floyd solo.
Of course I used the Triwatt for that wonderful sound.

Effects Chain: Seymour Duncan SSL-5, Effectrode PC-2A, Buffalo FX NOS BC239C Ram's head, Buffalo FX Power Booster, Vintage EHX Electric Mistress (1979).
Delay and reverb added in the mix. I also mastered this one just to showcase the studio tone you are able to get with the amp.

*Perhaps a little off topic, but the reason that it was recorded a little later than planned was because I repainted my guitar with nitrocellulose lacquer. That takes ages to dry!
Still, the result is way better than I could have hoped for. Added a picture as attachment. Just for the die hard Gilmour fans on this forum (which I know there are).

Attachments:
The Thin Ice Solo (OZ).mp3 [1.78 MiB]
Downloaded 443 times
Black strat.jpg
Black strat.jpg [ 167.04 KiB | Viewed 13341 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

Another excellent clip showing off the Triwatt! Your black Strat looks great, too!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:16 am 
Novice
Novice

Thank you for your positive comments!

matt_garman wrote:
Roughly how long does it take you to dial in the tone before you record a song? Do you spend a lot of time twiddling the knobs to get it just right (because it certainly sounds just right)? Or do you have an intuition about how things should be set, and find you're able to get it strikingly good in short order?

It's funny that you ask me this question since I was thinking about this myself lately. Sometimes I am right on it the first take and other times I need to tweak and try some stuff out.
Generally, I do tend to use the same amp settings for all my records from the same Pink Floyd Era.
Right now, I am working on The Wall so the triwatt is set up pretty aggressively.

I must admit, it took some time to set up the mic for perfect recordings. In my experience, you just need to try it out. There should be one (or several) sweet spot(s).
I tried around 10 different positions, recorded the same riff and then tried fitting them into a certain mix.
The position in which I had to do the least amount of post processing was the right position for me.
Somepositions had harsch overtones while others sounded very mushy. It is quite tricky and shifting it 1 inch makes a huge difference.
However, once you have found the sweet spot, you are good to go!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:24 am 
Novice
Novice

matt_garman wrote:
Gertjan2411 wrote:
I ended up switching to a 0.0047uf C6 cap instead of the 0.01uf I had installed. That is right between the original value (0.001nf) and the one I used for the last few months (0.01nf).

Are you still using 4.7nF for C6? Until today, I've had a 10nF in that spot for several months. I can't remember if that was deliberate or an accident (see here), but, for my personal taste, 10nF overemphasized the bass and mids a bit too much (having the effect of making the highs sound weak). I'm back down to the default of 1nF now; I plan to keep this in place for a while before I go messing with it again.

How's your The Wall recording project going?

Well I had the the 4.7n cap in C6 ever since but reading your post I got remebered to the fact that I had! My settings have been bass on 9 o'clock which was perfect but then I read your post yesterday and remebered that I had that 4.7n in C6. I just installed the default 1n back again so now my bass is around 12 which makes more sense given that that is the middle soundwise. The difference between 4.7n and bass 9o'clock or 1n and bass 12 o'clock is small but noticable. In the end it is better to have your optimum settings around noon since that will give you most flexibility either way.

Kind of funny that I went back to the default value in the end. I guess I should have just get used to the amp more in the beginning. I compared it too much with my previous amp. Also, when doing these records, I became aware that the bass was too much since I had to remove a lot when eq'ing in Cubase!

My The Wall project was on hold for a while because I had a 1976 Mistress which I wanted to use which needed repairing and a new SAD1024 chip. I have now repaired that and I will be continuing with the project now. Perfect spending of the winter time.

Here is a clip I did with the Deluxe Mistress still.
Chain:
Strat, SSL-5 bridge PU > Cornish OC-1, Cornish P-1, Bufallo powerbooster, Cornish LD-1, Deluxe Mistress (1979)

Attachments:
The Final Cut solo.mp3 [1.08 MiB]
Downloaded 396 times

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:16 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the kind words!

The amp is just gorgeous. The Rawson Sparfield Starfinder (one on one Crescendo clone) really is one of the best speakers to pair it with. It seriously is even better than the Reeves Vintage Purple. That makes sense though, since the Reeves is a Fane Purple clone, not a Crescendo Clone. Perhaps the Hi-Tone Crescendo gets close too but I have never tried that one though. Callaway doesn't sell them seperately. Every pedal is being handled just so well by the amp. My Cornish P-1 just sings eternally and the Tube driver has so much dynamics and harmonics.

I am still in love with the Triwatt. Awesome amp!

Will upload new clips when I have recorded them!

@Stephen, you may use my clips for audio samples om the website if you'd like.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

matt_garman wrote:
Gertjan2411 wrote:
the Tube driver has so much dynamics and harmonics.

I assume that's the BK Butler Tube Driver, the overdrive pedal with an actual 12ax7 tube?

You may have seen this, Buffalo FX makes a pedal called the TD-X, which attempts to be a solid state clone of the Tube Driver. Bjorn at Gilmourish gives it high praise (he has some demo videos on YouTube as well).

I've never played a Tube Driver or TD-X, but I found and built the PedalPCB Cattle Driver. I can't make any useful comparison to the TD or TD-X, but it's a great sounding overdrive in its own right.

Yes it is. A 911 model from 2017.

Well, actually I did own a TD-X. I sold it yesterday brcause I bought the Tube Driver. The TD-X is like 85% spot on. Especially the low gain sounds are pretty convincing. I have ordered a 12au7 tube to fit in the Tube Driver. I am curious how that sounds.

If you happen to find a TD-X nearby, go for it. It is a fantastic pedal. Convenient too, as opposed to the Tube Driver which has the power chord.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

Here is two more clips.
Enjoy!

SSL-2 (neck) > Cornish OC-1 > Bufallo FX Power Booster > Triwatt > DAW
Reverb and delay added in the mix

Shine on!

Attachments:
SOYCD solo 1 OZ.mp3 [2.22 MiB]
Downloaded 361 times
SOYCD solo 2 OZ.mp3 [2.24 MiB]
Downloaded 325 times
SOYCD solo 2 (guitar only).mp3 [3.31 MiB]
Downloaded 337 times

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:29 am 
Novice
Novice

matt_garman wrote:
More for the "killin it" file. Sounds great!

How many takes do you usually have to do before you get one that's up to your obviously-high standards?

Thanks for the kind words!

Regarding the amount of takes, it really depends. I believe these were between 2-3 takes.

Usually I just do a few short samples (around 2 to 4 bars) and carefully listen how they work out in the mix.
If I then need to do a lot of work to try and get it to sit well in the mix, I usually change some settings on the amp or pedals.
E.g. For the first solo I had to back of the volume on my guitar to 8 and the tone control on my guitar to 7. I also increased the blended signal on the OC-1 compressor and reduced some highs on the Power Booster. It then sounded a lot rounder and fuller without the harsh transient attacks of which I thought they were too apparent initially and did not fit wel with the rest of the track.

After that I just do one full take and listen carefully to the whole track. Sometimes I am off on many occasions and I just do it all over and sometimes I only do a few parts again which I don't like. E.g. sometimes I miss a string or make a little error but the rest of the track is okay. I will then only rerecord that little part with the error and fit it in with the rest.

These solos didn't take too many takes. I believe between 2 to 5 some small parts in between.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

Did another one.
This time with a little less gain.

Signal chain:
SSL-2 into OC-1 > BKB Tube Driver into Triwatt

Attachments:
Wearing the Inside Out solo 1.mp3 [789.65 KiB]
Downloaded 287 times