trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:57 pm 

Hi,

I listened to the Triwatt sound sample clips, the one with the Les Paul/Dirty setting sounds *fantastic*!!

( http://trinityamps.com/clips/triwatt/LP ... bnn2nn.mp3 )

I have a 1979 DR103, 2 input model that has the blocking distortion problem that is apparently common with this model; so to fix it, I was going to convert the input mixer from the late 70's version that uses the 2 haves of V2 to do the channel mixing to the earlier version using the resistive mixer at V2, which will obviously cut back the gain since it will leave 1/2 of V2 unused.

While doing so, it seems a very simple extra couple of steps to convert V2 to the Biacrown OL version, using the unused half for an extra gain stage, which I believe from reading the specs and forum threads the Triwatt uses as a switchable option.

Question - if I do so on my 103 (along with the resistive mixer fix), can I expect my amp to sound pretty close to what I hear in the Triwatt sound clip, or is there something else in the Triwatt circuit that is yielding its tonal magic that I won't have and leave a gap between the tone I'll end up with and what I hear in that clip?

Many thanks!
TRJB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:13 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It would be close but to see how close, you need to study the two schematics and compare the values.
The TRIWATT has:
• early '70s 103 preamp (with cathode-follower)
• Switchable 80s' "Biacrown era" high-gain OL/Lead mode, with Overdrive control
• Early Hiwatt style 12AT7 phase inverter
• Solid State rectified, fixed-bias, 6V6 power stage, based closely on Hiwatt original