trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:51 pm 

I recently built a Triwatt for a friend. He loves it but he has asked if I can add an effects loop. I have room in the chassis for a solid state unit like the Metro loop kit or the Iron Sounds kit. I am leaning towards the Iron Sounds kit but I am not sure where the loop should be inserted for the Triwatt. Typical locations are right after Master volume or before the coupling cap going into the PI. On the Triwatt the post master connection uses shielded cable which would make me wonder about noise. And the PI input comes directly from Pin 3 on V3 (the cathode). Is it possible and/or a good idea to insert the loop in that spot? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I would be putting it in just before the PI.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:31 pm 

On the Triwatt v3 pin 3 and pin 2 on the PI both measure 71vdc. I'm not sure I understand what v3 is doing in this design but it seems like the v3 cathode is providing bias voltage to the PI input. If I insert a buffered loop circuit there won't that cause problems?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

hmm, yes, try pin 7, V3, just after the Master volume. Never put an effect loop into a TRIWATT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:44 pm 

I've just built a Triwatt (btw congratulations Stephen on an excellent quality kit) and have successfully added a passive effects loop. All it needed was an interrupt between the MV wiper and the 22k resistor into V3 pin 7. I was expecting potential impedance mismatch requiring a 1M to ground at the return, but did not need this. Also did not need a coupling cap. Very simple mod and the amp sounds great.
To accommodate the send & return jacks in the chassis I plugged the hole for one of the speaker jacks (the one nearest the OD footswitch) and drilled two new holes just above and just below that plugged hole. Works well, and places the send and return jacks in exactly the right place to have the shortest cable runs possible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

tim.occ wrote:
I've just built a Triwatt (btw congratulations Stephen on an excellent quality kit) and have successfully added a passive effects loop. All it needed was an interrupt between the MV wiper and the 22k resistor into V3 pin 7. I was expecting potential impedance mismatch requiring a 1M to ground at the return, but did not need this. Also did not need a coupling cap. Very simple mod and the amp sounds great.
To accommodate the send & return jacks in the chassis I plugged the hole for one of the speaker jacks (the one nearest the OD footswitch) and drilled two new holes just above and just below that plugged hole. Works well, and places the send and return jacks in exactly the right place to have the shortest cable runs possible.

Thanks for sharing your success. We'll put that into the builders guide for future builders!