trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 am 
Friend
Friend

I'm trying to find the thread about changing the bias resistor - maybe it was in the Tramp forum, I can go looking for it, but I just need to change the bias resister to set the range of bias correct?

I need to test my amp more to see if the problems that arise over time are heat, or oscillation related. There's definitely a problem when I engage the OD and turn it up past 7 (squealing) so there's room for improvement.

Thanks Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:20 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Seems to me the value was around 900K . Higher value means less current, so you may want to experiment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:58 am 
Friend
Friend

Since Christmas and new-year passed she finally got to play the damn thing haha.

I put the 6v6s in .. set the bias, and played for a couple hours although at fairly low volumes (0.5-1 on the master). Whatever problem I experienced at my jam-hall appears to be gone for now, but I didn't have it cranked ... so we'll see.
I am absolutely in love with this amp, and so is she! Really good compliment to her JCM800 because the glassy clean tones pick up every suitble nuisance of your pick/fingers. "I can hear ...everything!"

I think the best part is just how useable the EQ is - nothing gets harsh, you just get MORE of it. The presence knob actually feels like you're changing presence, not just boosting hights.
The OD channel is great, but with a modded ts-9 tubescreamer it adds distortion but also a low-fi quality that is really appealing. Paired it with two WGS Veteran 30 speakers and it sounds great.

Also, almost finished with the cab, although I have hardware to add and some more staining / design-burning to do on the front panel. The dovetails are roooough but I wanted the cab to look like it was made out of an old barn and set on fire. My partner likes post-apocalyptic type stuff.

Now, I realized after the fact that the 'official' cab has a vent - I figure the amp *should* be fine, unless is there something with this design that the tubes run super-dee-duper hot? I guess worst case I can leave the front panel off. But it completes it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looks great and glad it sounds great for you too. You should be OK without the top vent when running 6V6 with a good size rear panel cutout. Keep an eye on it. A cutout is not too hrd to retrofit in if required - I'd leave the front panel on.

Congrats on your success.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

awesome, thanks! Yeah vent is pretty easy to add.

now I have the building bug.. you jerks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:52 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

TylerSavage wrote:
awesome, thanks! Yeah vent is pretty easy to add.

now I have the building bug.. you jerks!

what can we say. you built the "big daddy" first - now what?? :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

haha now I build a clone of my main gigging amp. It's a Garnet Rebel PA that I've heavily modified, and if it ever dies on me completely I'll be forced to use my marshall JMP which .. I can't go back to.

got a couple other designs to mess up too :)