trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:38 pm 
Friend
Friend

I think I found the answer to this in an 18w thread but I'm building a Triwatt so thought that maybe I should reconfirm.

The layout diagram for the Triwatt depicts the non-polarized caps with a - (dash) on one end which presumably marks which direction the outer foil lead should be oriented towards. If I've understood the 18w thread correctly, the layout diagram was updated to show the desired orientation of the outer foil lead for SoZo caps which do have the outer foil lead marked?

I've received Mallory 150 caps which don't explicitly have the outer foil lead marked but I've read on some forums that the direction of the labelling on the cap itself denotes which end of the cap the outer foil lead is located. I noted that there is an upper case M with a dash through it (ie: a struck out upper case M) towards one end of the cap which I thought might identify end where the outer foil lead is, but, I'm guessing that neither the direction of the labelling nor the struck out M is a trustworthy indicator for which end the outer foil lead is located?

So, short of owning an oscilloscope, there's no way to determine which end of a Mallory 150 is the outer foil lead, am I correct?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

I hate to say, yes to all the above :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:23 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Zaphod.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP6ZIHXq6Yg

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks kurtlives! Seems to be a pretty easy solution. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Assuming you have an amp to use for the test, it is good. You can actually dispense with all the switching for just a few caps.

Plug one end of a guitar cable into a running amp. On the other end of the guitar cable clip one side of a capacitor to the plug tip and the other side of the capacitor to the plug sleeve. Grab the capacitor between your fingers and listen to the noise level. Then switch the clips around so the side that was previously touching the tip of the guitar cable is now touching the sleeve. Agan, grab the capacitor between your fingers and listen to the noise level.

The side of the capacitor that makes the MOST noise when touching the tip of the guitar cable is the outer foil.

Note: you may need to hold an AC source like a lamp cord close to the capacitor body to create enough noise. If so, do this both times.

The polarities were added in for the Sozo options on the Triwatt since the 18s come with Sozos.