trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm a JackA**
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

Man, am I a jackass! I knew my Triwatt didn't sound like it did when I finished it and first fell in love with it. Something was missing, the bottom end seemed a little flabby, overall it was just ordinary. Last week I finished a new build (Trainwreck inspired), when I A-B'ed it with my Triwatt the difference was striking. I thought the new build was absolutely awesome and this A-B test (real time with a pedal) proved it.

Then I began to think about the Triwatt. I knew it was a great sounding amp before, not discounting the honeymoon effect - we always think the latest is the greatest. So I put it on the bench, pulled the chassis and took a good look. Low and behold, poor solder joints have let me down at the tonestack caps. A few minutes warming up the iron and then re-assembling. Presto! This thing rocks once again and I'm a jackass for playing it all summer in a defective state. The funny thing is this; it never popped or crackled or did anything to make me think there was a loose connection. It was just missing something in the tone. Tomorrow I'll do the A-B with the Trainwreck style amp again - I'm certain there will be a difference but it won't be so striking or make the Triwatt seem so ordinary.

Post subject: Re: I'm a JackA**
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good thing you found the issue. For others benefit, what did those joints look like?

Post subject: Re: I'm a JackA**
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

I wrapped the capacitor lead around the turret and soldered it. I think I then soldered the resistor into the top of the turret. When I did this I must have heated the turret enough to flow the solder away from the wrapped lead. It was mechanically attached to the turret but no longer soldered in place. I found it by using a chopstick to check my solder joints, the wrapped lead was loose when I pushed on it with a chopstick.