trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

I thought it might be fun to start a Floyd sound clip thread with fellow TRIWATT owners. I picked up mine about a week ago and couldn't resist the urge to start learning/re-learning all my old Floyd favourites. Getting a good Gilmour tone out of this amp is as easy as breathing! Add a few key pedals, and you can get pretty close to a lot of his tones. I won't attempt to re-create the wealth of knowledge on existing sites out there, but here's my basic set-up...

Guitar
MIM Classic 50's Strat with CS69 pickups in the neck and middle, and SD SSL5 in the bridge. Callaham steel trem block.

Effects
Hartman BC108 Fuzz
Barber Tone Press Compressor
BYOC Large Beaver - Ram's Head Big Muff clone
BYOC Phase Royal - MXR Phase 90 clone
Colorsound Overdriver (Powerboost)
Hartman Analog Flanger (clone of original green EH Electric Mistress)
Prescription Electronics Vibe-Unit (clone of Uni-Vibe)
Eventide Time Factor delay

TRIWATT Settings
So far I've recorded most of my clips late at night, so had to keep the volume down, which is no problem for getting great tone from this amp. Here are the quiet settings...
Normal Vol: 9:00
Bright Vol: 9:00
OD: off
Bass: 10:00
Treb: 1:30
Middle: 11:30
Presence: 1:30
Master: 8:30

Cabinet is a 2x12 with BBQ FC12 (Fane Crescendo clones). These are 100W speakers, so there really is no speaker break-up with the TRIWATT...perfect for the clean base required for Gilmour tones.

First clips are Breathe, Mother solo, and Comfortably Numb 1st solo...

Effects on Breathe: Vibe Unit, Delay
Effects on Mother and Comfortably Numb solos: Compressor, Big Muff, Flanger, Delay (some reverb added in the final mix on a Boss recorder)

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/hen/Breathe2.mp3

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/hen/Mother.mp3

http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/hen/Numb2.mp3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:11 am 
Expert
Expert

Wow, this is so cool! :thumbsup: :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Wow, this is so cool! :thumbsup: :D

+1

Sound awesome I wish I had a triwatt to join in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:10 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks folks! Stay tuned for more clips...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

Here's some pics of the gear used with the TRIWATT to make the Floyd clips...

The pedal board...

And the home-made black Strat...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:59 pm 

Very nice gear. Where did you get the parts for the black strat? Also, what pedal is the pig fuzz based on?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:16 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks!

The Pink Fuzz is actually a BYOC Large Beaver, which is a Big Muff clone. Bonus points if you know where the graphic above the foot switch comes from....

The Strat started out life as a MIM Classic 50's. I made the following changes:

- Fender CS69 pickups in neck and middle
- DiMarzio FS1 bridge pickup
- Callaham steel trem block
- Stew Mac copper foil shielding in routing cavities
- Overdrive Custom Guitar Works black pick guard, wiring, pots, caps and "Gilmour" toggle swtich for neck pickup blending, custom aged parchment plastics (matches NOS Gilmour Strat exactly)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

soldersniffer wrote:
The pedal board...

Nice board! I'm guessing the silver Hartman is the silicon fuzz. The Moon Drive is another Muff clone, right? That would make two muffs on one board.

How are you liking the Phase Royale? I built the original BYOC Phase 90 clone, but haven't gotten around to the Royale yet.

Is the signal path R-L, bottom row then top? If so, curious about the location of the phaser after some distortion boxes, but the Colorsound. Why? Also curious about the silicone fuzz before the compressor, but not the muffs.

Finally, how are you liking that Hartman flanger? I've read that it's basically the only way to get a production version of the old Electric Mistress ("Spirit of Radio" and loads of other Rush classics!). To me, that's the holy grail of flange ... just too cheap to buy one!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:22 am 
Friend
Friend

Yep, chain goes R - L across bottom and top.

The silver Hartman is indeed a BC108 fuzz face. That circuit really needs to be first in the chain for optimum performance. I don't use it with the compressor, only on its own or paired with the Colorsound...wicked combination!

The Moon Drive is a dead on clone of a Cornish G2. Very different than a traditional big muff...

The Phase Royal is great, but I don't use half the features! It's pretty much set and forget for me with the Floyd stuff. I use it paired with the Colorsound for songs like Have a Cigar, and it sounds better to me before the boost. I never use it with the fuzz face or muff.

The Hartman flanger is amazing!! In combination with the muff and compressor ( and delay of course) it's classic Gilmour Animals/Wall tones.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:31 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

soldersniffer wrote:
The Moon Drive is a dead on clone of a Cornish G2. Very different than a traditional big muff...

Ah, I had no idea. You can't really tell that from the Hartman site. Reading it, you just kind of get the feel it's a Big Muff variant. Then again, I suppose the G2 is sort of that anyway, right?

But when you say very different, what do you mean? I built a BYOC Large Beaver a few years ago, and I love it for those Gilmour tones with a Strat. I'm curious how the G2 would differ.

soldersniffer wrote:
The Hartman flanger is amazing!! In combination with the muff and compressor ( and delay of course) it's classic Gilmour Animals/Wall tones.

Yeah, it's too bad E-H stopped making those Electic Mistress (non-deluxe version). The Hartman is supposed to be that pedal, but without noise issues too. It's kind of shocking to realize that a lot of those old tones that I thought were phaser (Floyd) or chorus (Andy Summers) were really just a cool flanger. Who knew!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:59 pm 
Friend
Friend

The G2 is like a cross between a big muff and a Rat....smoother than a traditional big muff. Behaves more like an OD/distortion pedal than a fuzz pedal. A good example of the tone are the first two songs on Gilmour's On An Island album.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Comfortably Numb Updated Clip in clippage section.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3268