trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:41 pm 
Friend
Friend

In a few months I'm going to need to get another amp for some possible touring, and I have been thinking about a Triwatt for quite some time now. I currently play through a hand wired 2204 clone with two JJ6v6s power tubes in it, and running through a couple of BBQ 50 watt ceramic Blue Dogs into two single 12" closed back cabs. This combo delivers a GREAT sound for me.

I am thinking that a Triwatt with a 12ax7 in the PI (I like Tung-Sols here) might just do the trick for a second amp, because the Overdrive and three way input might give me a very similar sound to what I'm using now. If I was able to get an early Martin Barre sound with a bit more smooth crunch and drive, that would be perfect.

Does this sound like the Triwatt might be what I'm looking for?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:38 am 
Expert
Expert

You probably won't need to use a 12AX7 in the PI, if you use the Overdrive, which can take you all the way up to metal levels of distortion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Try a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret to get that Marshall-esque Sound, and with P90 Pickups you are ready for Aqualung!

Update: I just double checked with my Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway, and the Triwatt with the DLS does get a nice Early Tull Tone. If you want more than switch the DLS from "Rock" to "Rawk". The DLS was designed to make a Fender sound like a Marshall, but works very nicely with the Triwatt. It stacks well with various boost and fuzz pedals also.

Also I think for Aqualung, Barre was using a Hiwatt, a Treble Booster Pedal, and a Les Paul Jr.

I did try the 12AX7 for a while, but switched back to the 12AT7.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:42 pm 
Friend
Friend

ROB_PRICE wrote:
Try a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret to get that Marshall-esque Sound, and with P90 Pickups you are ready for Aqualung!

Update: I just double checked with my Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway, and the Triwatt with the DLS does get a nice Early Tull Tone. If you want more than switch the DLS from "Rock" to "Rawk". The DLS was designed to make a Fender sound like a Marshall, but works very nicely with the Triwatt. It stacks well with various boost and fuzz pedals also.

Also I think for Aqualung, Barre was using a Hiwatt, a Treble Booster Pedal, and a Les Paul Jr.

I did try the 12AX7 for a while, but switched back to the 12AT7.

Thanks for the comment Rob (my name too!). Once our CD is finished (before March), we will probably be touring some to support it, and I will be wanting another amp in order to have two; I will use my current one set for clean for amplified acoustic, and maybe a Triwatt for saturated electric. I am currently having another guitar finished (Explorer EC) that will have a couple of Kinman noiseless P-90's, which will be a nice change up from the humbucker guitars I normally play. When I get a Triwatt, I will try it with a 12ax7 first to see if I can use it without a pedal.

We are really getting excited about the project and anxious to get out playing to promote it after it is finished. We're about one quarter into it now. It's being produced by Kenny Passarelli (bass with Joe Walsh, Elton John, Hall & Oates, Stephen Stills, Dan Fogleberg, etc.) and Clark Hagan (Grammy with Chet Atkins), with my wife (a.k.a. Dr. Izzy) on vocals. Thanks again for your input, now I'm aikin' for a Triwatt!