trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:42 am 
Friend
Friend

That's what I've heard as well, particularly the ceramics. My only hold-up is the debate of "do I replace the speakers in my THD 2x12 or do I get a whole new cab". I can't seem to make my mind up, but I'm leaning toward a whole new cab so that if I sell my THD Flexi-50, I can also sell the matching cab as original.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:44 am 
Experienced
Experienced

The Tonker & the AX12-150 (Medusa 150) sound very pretty much the same. the only difference I detect is the Fane is just a little bit brighter. I have never played with the Fane Cresendos, but I would think these speakers would be similar sounding speakers. I have heard the Cresendo discribed as a "British JBL". I would think the Cresendo might be a bit brighter that the other two because of the Aluminum Dust Cover.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

It's been too quiet around the Triwatt end of things.

So i'm stirring the pot. I stumbled into a pretty sweet deal on a couple of eminence speakers recently. The C/Rex and a Wizard. After running a ton of signal through them, and doing a fair amount of tracking.... This is my assessment.

Bottom line: Cannabis Rex and Wizard is a sweet sweet pair.

The CRex was a shock to my ears to be honest.
It lived in the cab (marshall slanted baffle offset vertical 2x12) alone for a while and was so smoothed out on the high end that it almost sounded muffled. It really is a remarkably smooth speaker that can handle a ridiculous amount of low end. It was such a stark contrast to the low watt alnico's I was using. The low watt alnico's were freaking out on the lower end of the spectrum and were not happy with the triwatt head at any volume over say 3.

I did notice a pretty huge shift in the tone circuit after dropping in the CRex speaker. Before, the only control that any dramatic effect was the bass. Now I've got HUGE audible swing on all the controls. Those other speakers just didn't have the capacity to handle what the amp wanted to give them.

Fast forward a few weeks and a Wizard speaker gets in front of me. It's a very little bit louder than the CRex with a bit more top end and different focus to the midrange. It can still handle all the bass I throw at it without crapping out and is a pretty sweet mix with the CRex. It's much more aggressive and crunchy and that mixes really well with the smoothness of the CRex. I also learned that this speaker combo is super happy as either an open/partially open or closed cab. Before, I had to have the back at least partially opened up to get the kind of zone of sound I was looking for. These speakers don't care where you put them. They really just want to rock.

I've got a vintage G12h and G12M in my croc Selmer Zodiac... which is really a cool combination, and a great sounding amp. But it's really hard to plug into anything other than the Triwatt/eminence. I can tell you that i'm really glad that cheap can sound so good, and handle such a wide range of frequencies without complaining.

Incidentally... the transformers in the Selmer, look an awful lot like the Triwatt's. Which look an awful lot like the Partridge Xfmrs of old.... I wonder if Selmer was having Partridge supply their Xfmrs???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 am 
Expert
Expert

norton wrote:
I stumbled into a pretty sweet deal on a couple of eminence speakers recently. The C/Rex and a Wizard. After running a ton of signal through them, and doing a fair amount of tracking.... This is my assessment.

Bottom line: Cannabis Rex and Wizard is a sweet sweet pair.

The CRex was a shock to my ears to be honest.
It lived in the cab (marshall slanted baffle offset vertical 2x12) alone for a while and was so smoothed out on the high end that it almost sounded muffled. It really is a remarkably smooth speaker that can handle a ridiculous amount of low end. It was such a stark contrast to the low watt alnico's I was using. The low watt alnico's were freaking out on the lower end of the spectrum and were not happy with the triwatt head at any volume over say 3.

I did notice a pretty huge shift in the tone circuit after dropping in the CRex speaker. Before, the only control that any dramatic effect was the bass. Now I've got HUGE audible swing on all the controls. Those other speakers just didn't have the capacity to handle what the amp wanted to give them.

Fast forward a few weeks and a Wizard speaker gets in front of me. It's a very little bit louder than the CRex with a bit more top end and different focus to the midrange. It can still handle all the bass I throw at it without crapping out and is a pretty sweet mix with the CRex. It's much more aggressive and crunchy and that mixes really well with the smoothness of the CRex. I also learned that this speaker combo is super happy as either an open/partially open or closed cab. Before, I had to have the back at least partially opened up to get the kind of zone of sound I was looking for. These speakers don't care where you put them. They really just want to rock.

Sounds like you may have hit on a really magic combination there, which might possibly be a worthy alternative to the Fane Purple or its modern equivalents.

FYI I just finished another Triwatt a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:18 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'm still looking for a speaker that can pull off that Vintage Hiwatt tone in a 212. I'd really like to hear opinions on a comparison people have made. We came really close to this with some Taydens but have been waiting for a second 'round for a year now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm 
Friend
Friend

The crex/wizard combination is probably a skooch brighter in the focal zone than the fane I remember lusting after.

Seriously, the best thing about this speaker combination is it's ability to handle what the triwatt will give it.
From the extreme low to the super sparkly highs. I'd imagine the wizard alone would be a little too thin and the crex by itself was a little too mellow. But together they're pretty sweet.

Lots of complexity on the clean side lots of punch on the overdrive side.

You guys were right on the money about the jensen speakers not being a good fit for the triwatt.
Really not good at all.

I did pop a vintage jensen p12 something in to test it out and was greeted with angry protests. That speaker couldn't do low end and was extremely shrill on the top.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
I'm still looking for a speaker that can pull off that Vintage Hiwatt tone in a 212. I'd really like to hear opinions on a comparison people have made. We came really close to this with some Taydens, but have been waiting for a second round for a year now.

The Hiwatt aficionado community is currently raving about HI-TONE's DR-Fs, which are a very close reproduction of the pressed steel frame Fane SE4123 Purples. They've been designed with the direct involvement of some very well-known Hiwatt gurus including Mark Huss, and are built by Eminence for HI-TONE.

www.vintagehiwattrestorations.com/shop/ ... od5ui2c2v0

http://www.vintagehiwattrestorations.co ... clips.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Are they available as raw drivers?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:50 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This just in from VHR: The DR-F's aren't available raw.

Not sure if you can go to Eminence direct.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Turns out they are 'proprietary custom designs and only available in Hi-Tone products. They are not available as raw speakers.' - Eminence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

Eminence wrote:
... 'proprietary custom designs and only available in Hi-Tone products. They are not available as raw speakers.'

I think that statement's somewhat ambiguous to the point of being misleading. Eminence builds them to special order for Hi-Tone/Vintage Hiwatt Restorations, who sell them in any quantity anyone might want, from one, or more. This is a very different deal from the Reeves Purples, also built by Eminence, which aren't available for purchase except inside a Reeves cab. And the DR-F's are also very reasonably priced. I think it might be worth asking Hi-Tone/VHR about dealer quantity pricing.

The next closest equivalent are Eminence's cast-frame Lynch Super V12s, but according to the vintage Hiwatt gurus, they don't get quite as close as the DR-Fs, and IIRC they also cost somewhat more.

Edit: FYI the Lynch Super V12s are the same speakers as the Reeves Vintage Purples, but with a smaller (but still pretty hefty) magnet. Otherwise, they are exactly the same, with the same cone codes and everything, and are said to sound damn near the same too.

Morogan wrote:
Unfortunately for me, though, I am more interested in the Fane Crescendo As instead of the Purples. :( For now, the only current alternative for me is TW's FC-12 (Crescendo sound-alikes) for $120.

FYI Hi-Tone and Eminence are also working on a Crescendo clone. :D

Just passing on the info here - I have no vested commercial interests...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:11 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I asked VHR and they said, in a minimum of word, they are not for sale as raw drivers and Eminence wont sell them either except to VHR. Let me know if you see them raw on the open market.

I have one more person to check in with ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 am 
Expert
Expert

Something really odd appears to be going on at VHR. When they first announced the DR-Fs, they had a page you could order them from in singles, pairs or quads. That page is now no longer there. :shock: I'm guessing that demand has outstripped supply, and until they get stock levels back up, they're only selling them in their own cabs. I have posted a question on Vintage Amps to the Hiwatt community asking what's going on. One of the main reasons for the DR-Fs being produced in the first place was that there are a lot of old Hiwatt cabs around that need replacement speakers, and you can't buy Reeves Vintage Purples individually. Anyway, I'll see what they say.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

My very close source to this says

"VHR had really wanted to sell the speakers 'raw' but unfortunately Eminence has a *really* strict policy about this. We did a custom design with Anthony @ Eminence, so the DR-F is not really close to anything else in their standard line."

Case Closed. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

coco wrote:

"VHR had really wanted to sell the speakers 'raw' but unfortunately Eminence has a *really* strict policy about this. We did a custom design with Anthony @ Eminence, so the DR-F is not really close to anything else in their standard line."

Seems the Case in Closed. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:

Morogan wrote:
Unfortunately for me, though, I am more interested in the Fane Crescendo As instead of the Purples. :( For now, the only current alternative for me is TW's FC-12 (Crescendo sound-alikes) for $120.

FYI Hi-Tone and Eminence are also working on a Crescendo clone. :D

Just passing on the info here - I have no vested commercial interests...

I used to have an Eminence Red Coat Tonker. Those are said to be the Red Coat series' closest thing to a Fane, but which Fane? Purple or Crescendo?

I know nothing about Fane speakers other than (sort of) two things. One, they were often used in old Hiwatt cabs. Two, discussion pages say my old Tonker was a Fane clone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:59 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:

And here's what I got back...

Quote:
Quote:
I believe I can speak for the group when I offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

While our intention was to make them available separately in addition to loaded into cabs and, even though we all thought we heard that we would be able to, the contract we signed states otherwise and we are bound by its terms :oops: :cry: :x .

Dave

Seems like a royal screw up, which has defeated the very purpose they had these DR-Fs built for. So until they figure that mess out, then it's the Lynch Super V12s.

RMosack wrote:
I used to have an Eminence Red Coat Tonker. Those are said to be the Red Coat series' closest thing to a Fane, but which Fane? Purple or Crescendo?

I know nothing about Fane speakers other than (sort of) two things. One, they were often used in old Hiwatt cabs. Two, discussion pages say my old Tonker was a Fane clone.

I've read that a few places as well, but it's incorrect. The Tonker is said by a lot of folks to sound real good with Hiwatt type amps (after a lot of breaking-in), but anyone who has experience of Fane Crescendos or Purples will tell you they're really not the same. Apart from the OEM Hi-Tone DR-Fs and the Reeves Vintage Purples, Eminence's Lynch Super V12s are the closest speaker they make to a Fane Purple clone. Fane will also soon be re-issuing their Purples and Crescendos, but it appears those will be fairly pricey.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Interesting.

With the Red Coats basically each being said to be a clone of one Brit speaker or another (I have a chart around here somewhere...), what would the Tonker be most like then?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:50 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

So I wonder how close the DR-F really is to the Fane purples tone? Also Construction, magnet etc. etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

I've read that the Tonker is a Fane clone, but it may be a different series. Maybe the Axioms? I know they recommend it as an alternate for AC15/AC30 type amps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next