trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:52 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hopefully soon; I've got Strymon's new tape delay sim pedal (aka "El Capistan") on order to hopefully replace my Skreddy Echo. I love the Skreddy, but there's no substitute for multiple playback heads (even if emulated via DSP). I'll record something as soon as I get things dialed in a bit. =)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Now that we're an Eminence dealer, the Lynch Super V12s are looking like an option in the Triwatt 212 Cab.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yayyyy!!!! :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:18 pm 
Friend
Friend

Another update on the BBQ FC12s: They're breaking in very nicely and I'm really happy with the voicing change of my cab. They also appear to work really well with my Big Muff and Fuzz Face clones. To some degree, I really wonder if their slightly less ineffeciency isn't working to their advantage since I do get to heat the tubes up significantly more. All goes well, I'll post a clip or two this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:01 am 
Experienced
Experienced

A few weeks ago I picked it a Celestion Wolverine (Used in a Marshall TSL Combo). They were designed to be a high wattage "Greenback Tone" speaker. They sort of fit, soundwise between a Greenback and a G12H30, which a lot of people say the 1970s Fanes, in Hiwatt Cabs, sound like. They have a large dust cap, 50 oz. magnet, and a 2" voice coil w/nomex former. They are 80 Watt RMS and were made in both 8 & 16 Ohms.

I do prefer my Fane AX12-150, with the Triwatt, to the Wolverine, but only because the Fane is a touch brighter. It's a dark speaker, and it is my favorite speaker with my Laney Lionheart 20 Watt Head. I run it in an Avatar 1 X 12" Open Back Vintage Cabinet. Some might prefer the Wolverine with the Triwatt, because it is darker.

You might be able to find these around for a very good deal, especially for a UK Manufactured Celestion, because a lot of people pulled these out of their Marshalls, and replaced them with Vintage 30s.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Any updates to speaker selection here. Specifically, and new Fane on the market that gets closer to the original (Purple back) HIWATT sound?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

The Lynch Super V12 seems to have disappeared off Eminence's price lists, so I guess they're not making them any more. Some folks have said that the Reeves Vintage Purple and the very similar Lynch Super V12 sound a little muddy for a true Fane replica. The Hiwatt aficionados are now recommending Eminence's Tonker Lite as being the closest thing around to a true Hiwatt/Fane, and say it's a lot more authentic sounding than the regular Tonker. As I've not heard either, I can't verify the authenticity, but I'm passing on the information anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:53 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The Eminence Speaker that supprised me was the Swamp Thang. I got pre-loaded in a Cab I bought, but found it work well in the Triwatt's Combo Cabinet. It was very similar, but a little warmer that the Fane AX12-150 I was using. The Fane is now in a closed back 1X12 Cab, being used with the Triwatt & the Swamp Thang.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 am 
Expert
Expert

That's fascinating to know about the "Swamp Thang". However, I'm not too surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Anyone tried the Eminence's Tonker Lite with a TRIWATT?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:13 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Anyone tried the Eminence's Tonker Lite with a TRIWATT?

Not the "lite" but I have a Tonker and a Swamp Thang in an oversized 212. The "lite" is supposed to fall short compared to the normal version.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Zaphod passed on the Lite info, but I have since seen this on the. Warehouse Guitar Speaker Forum...

http://wgs4.com/speakers-hiwatt-4x12-cab-reapers

ET65 = Vintage Fane!
Seriously! Search my blog ... or my YouTube Chanel (VSkow) ... I thought I'd never find a replacement for my beloved Fane Purple ... but the ET65 almost nails it!

If you do go Reaper ... I'd probably go HP ... to stay true to the Hiwatt theme of lotsa headroom!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I used to have a Fender 212 with a Swamp Thang paired with a Tonker Lite. I absolutely loved that combination.

After a couple years, I became enamored with the idea of the neodymium lightweight speakers, so I looked for substitutes for that pairing. I replaced the Swamp Thang with a Lil' Texas, because it was the closest speaker in the Patriot range (i.e. Jensen-ish). I replaced The Tonker with a Tonkerlite.

In my opinion, the Lil' Texas was a much more acceptable stand-in for the Swamp Thang. It didn't have that big bass, but it definitely had an "American" vibe that sounded right with Fender amps.

The Tonkerlite, on the other hand, realy seemed much farther away from the Tonker. It wasn't a bad speaker by any stretch. But it lacked pretty much everything that made the Tonker such a nice speaker. IMO, The Tonker had a nice warm roundness that worked incredibly with Strats and Teles. It had a certain EQ difference from the other British speakers in the Redcoat range. The Tonkerlite lacked that big, warm roundness. Sort of sounded like a run of the mill Celestion - not that it's a bad thing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:50 pm 

coco wrote:
Zaphod passed on the Lite info, but I have since seen this on the. Warehouse Guitar Speaker Forum...

http://wgs4.com/speakers-hiwatt-4x12-cab-reapers

ET65 = Vintage Fane!
Seriously! Search my blog ... or my YouTube Chanel (VSkow) ... I thought I'd never find a replacement for my beloved Fane Purple ... but the ET65 almost nails it!

If you do go Reaper ... I'd probably go HP ... to stay true to the Hiwatt theme of lotsa headroom!

I just ordered one et-65 and one veteran 30 for my Triwatt build. For the price I figured how can you go wrong. I'm not sure about veteran 30 with the Triwatt we shall see. I could always use it for another project.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s_DYMb-Yd0 ... _DYMb-Yd0A
The et65 sounds a bit brighter however the fane is vintage. I think it has similar character. I just gotta finish the build and I'll report back on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:38 am 
Friend
Friend

I just received a Thames Ceramic 80 and I plan to use it with the Triwatt only. It should require some break-in time.

I have been using a Vintage 30 with a Hemp Cone and that is pretty good. I love that speaker but I had a Cali that I hated so I had BBQ redo it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:16 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Let us know how it sounds. Always looking for input on this subject!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:27 pm 

hi,

so i'm almost done building my triwatt and I will order a cab from trinity but I will be getting the
speakers myself, so is still the eminence cannabis rex and the wizard the best for the price for the
triwatt???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The Reeves Vintage Purple speakers were developed to fill a void in the market place when the Fane speakers that were originally loaded into Hiwatt cabinets in the '70s went out of production.

The Vintage Purple 12" speaker is built on a Cast Aluminum frame with a 56-oz. magnet and a 2" voice coil. We took an original Fane speaker from a vintage Hiwatt cabinet, refined several prototypes until we replicated that magical tone.

$129 speaker.

I emailed them to see if they are sold seperately.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:12 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I checked with Reeves and the Reeves Purple clones are available at $129 ea.

Note: 16 OHM SPEAKERS ONLY

One persons comments:

"...my vintage purples are broken in.... they took forever to get there. They completely nail that vintage Fane tone and these speakers have been a surprise on the way they opened up after some time was put in on them. The funny thing is, I think people give up on these because they are not easy to break in, but once they do, they're keepers!!! I can get that Live at Leeds tone with these loaded in a Reeves SE style cab and using a DR103 and P90 SG!"

http://www.reevesamps.com/cabinets/guitar-cabinets/

Attachment:
reevesvintagepurplefaneclone.jpg
reevesvintagepurplefaneclone.jpg [ 73.85 KiB | Viewed 15592 times ]