trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 am 
Friend
Friend

I'm looking for some help picking out at least one 12" speaker...

I've got a 2x12 marshall vertical slant cab, that I modified to be 1/3 open in the back. Right now it's got a pair of mis-matched 1960's alnico speakers from old organ cab's. One's a little bright and a db or two more efficient, and the other is a bit darker.

The cab is going to pretty much live with the Triwatt, the speakers worked really well with another head... but the brighter speaker's not very happy with the hiwatt. It's breaking up from what sounds like a frequency overload, not necessarily volume overload.

I'm looking to replace the bright speaker, with an eye towards the darker speaker but only if it's necessary. I was thinking of something like the weber-jensen p12n?? I was ready to pull the trigger on the tone tubby san rafael until I heard it in a shootout... this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

Any others I should consider?? cheaper alternatives to the alnico blue? or would the jensen/blue vibe be a bad fit for the triwatt?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:50 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

check out the BBQ Thames speaker. emohawk like 'em for the TRIWATT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:09 pm 
Expert
Expert

I love 'em with the Triwatt, my sIIIV6, and with my JMP-ish 2204 build. The cab even sounds great with my BFDR build. My favorite all-around speaker, especially for my Brit voiced amps.

The thing to keep in mind is the Thames (much like the Fane "Purpleback" it's based on) has a more balanced response curve than the typical Celestion or Jensen, and has a bit more of a "hi-fi" feel to it. It kind of meets somewhat in the middle. More compressed than the Jensens but no mid spike like many Celestions. They're effecient (i.e. LOUD), but not in a fatiguing way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emo..is that the alnico or ceramic version?
Stew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

Ceramic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 am 
Expert
Expert

I don't think a Jensen style speaker would really suit a British style amp like a Hiwatt or Triwatt. I've also been doing some background research over the last few months, and it appears that Eminence's Lynch Super V12 is pretty much the closest equivalent to a Fane Purple you can get anywhere at the moment (it's very close to the special OEM Vintage Purples they make for Reeves). According to Hiwatt fans on their various BBSs the Lynch Super V12 is even closer than the BBQ Thames, which is also well liked by a lot of folks, oncluding our good friens Emohawk. :) FYI one of the members of the family that owns Fane had moved to the States some years ago and joined Eminence, which gave Eminence the know-how for this type of speaker. He has just recently returned to Fane in the UK, and they have announced plans to re-issue the legendary Fane Purples.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:24 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Interesting to note that The Eminance Lynch(150watt) and the BBQ Thames(60) are both high power speakers as compared to popular Celestion arrangements.
Kevin O'Connor has a favourite speaker. The Electrovoice Force, now discontinued and it is also a 150 watt speaker.
Stew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

I had heard similar reports about the Lynch Super V12. I already had the Thames on order at that point. I'm certainly not regretting getting them.

I didn't know Fane had plans to re-issue the vintage purples. I bet those will be inexpensive... :D

With regards to the Jensens, the Thames does have some of that character clean without pushing them too hard. As I noted, my BFDR sounds great through that cab - very vintage Fender-y. It's a very different feel when you start to push them though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Stoo wrote:
Interesting to note that The Eminance Lynch(150watt) and the BBQ Thames(60) are both high power speakers as compared to popular Celestion arrangements.

Well, they're both intended for use with high power levels of many Hiwatt amps, plus the traditional Hiwatt approach is to avoid speaker breakup and colouration.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Stoo wrote:

Well, they're both intended for use with high power levels of many Hiwatt amps, plus the traditional Hiwatt approach is to avoid speaker breakup and colouration.

Yes and they sound good in a medium power Triwatt. So I think the approach of not coloring the sound byway of speaker selection is significant. I wonder if anyone has tried some good JBLs in a hywatt/triwatt for the same reason?
Stew

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:12 pm 

With my 20-watt Triwatt, I'm using a single ceramic Thames in a 2x12, closed-back cab. So it is something like a detuned cab setup. Sounds big and clear on clean tones, punchy and aggressive for overdrive. Huge bottom end when you push the bass. I love it.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:57 am 
Experienced
Experienced

So far the best setup I have tried with my Triwatt Combo is a Fane AX12-150 (Now called a Medusa 150) in the Combo Cabinet, with a Eminence "The Tonker" in a Avatar 1x12 Vintage Closed Back Cabinet.

I have tried a Marshall 1960 Cabinet with Celestion G12T75s, BBQ Silver Bell/Blue Dog Ceramics, BBQ Axis 12 Ceramic (The best sounding speaker with my Laney Lionheart 20W Head), Celestion Vintage 30s, and EVM12Ls.

If I were to replace the Tonker, I would try either BBQ FC12, BBQ Thames, or Lynch V12, but it seems to work fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey Malcolm, welcome back!
ROB_PRICE wrote:
So far the best setup I have tried with my Triwatt Combo is a Fane AX12-150 (Now called a Medusa 150) in the Combo Cabinet, with a Eminence "The Tonker" in a Avatar 1x12 Vintage Closed Back Cabinet. I have tried a Marshall 1960 Cabinet with Celestion G12T75s, BBQ Silver Bell/Blue Dog Ceramics, BBQ Axis 12 Ceramic (The best sounding speaker with my Laney Lionheart 20W Head), Celestion Vintage 30s, and EVM12Ls. If I were to replace the Tonker, I would try either BBQ FC12, BBQ Thames, or Lynch V12, but it seems to work fine.

We will soon have another option to chose from - and this one looks real good!
http://www.vintagehiwattrestorations.com/dr-f.html

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

Emohawk wrote:
I had heard similar reports about the Lynch Super V12. I already had the Thames on order at that point. I'm certainly not regretting getting them.

I didn't know Fane had plans to re-issue the vintage purples. I bet those will be inexpensive... :D

I've talked to their North American distributor, and while the pricing has not been set, they were projecting $250-300. However, they are going to do both "reissues" (using their current cast aluminum chassis) and then "vintage reproductions" of both the purples and the '72 Crescendo A (think David Gilmour's WEM cabs), and it wasn't clear to which this would be the pricing.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

I stumbled into a Cannabis Rex for cheap and picked that up... thinking it would be useful in some application - or at least - easy to pass on.

Any thoughts on how it would pair with a bbq thames or the lynch?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

Morogan wrote:
I've talked to their North American distributor, and while the pricing has not been set, they were projecting $250-300. However, they are going to do both "reissues" (using their current cast aluminum chassis) and then "vintage reproductions" of both the purples and the '72 Crescendo A (think David Gilmour's WEM cabs), and it wasn't clear to which this would be the pricing.

The Hitone DR-Fs are now on pre-order for less than half of that. $110 for one, $215 for a pair, and $420 for a quad. The vintage Hiwatt community are really raving about these speakers.
http://www.vintagehiwattrestorations.co ... 2sahi1u3o1
I have no affiliation with these guys in any way. Just passing on the information.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

Looks like those HiTones are cool.. but only available in 16 Ohms??? I'd bite if I could get an 8ohm.

Post subject: HiTone Speaker
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:42 am 
Experienced
Experienced

On the HiTone Speaker, the Frame and the Magnet look a lot like the one on The Tonker. Not sure what the cone is like. I wonder if it is a 75 watt version of The Tonker? I do like The Tonker in a closed back cabinet. The HiTone Speaker not being 8 Ohms is also a problem for me.

Last edited by ROB_PRICE on Mon May 10, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:48 pm 
Friend
Friend

zaphod wrote:
The Hitone DR-Fs are now on pre-order for less than half of that. $110 for one, $215 for a pair, and $420 for a quad. The vintage Hiwatt community are really raving about these speakers.
http://www.vintagehiwattrestorations.co ... 2sahi1u3o1
I have no affiliation with these guys in any way. Just passing on the information.

I'm sure the DR-Fs are awesome, based on what people that have played them have said. Unfortunately for me, though, I am more interested in the Fane Crescendo As instead of the Purples. :( For now, the only current alternative for me is TW's FC-12 (Crescendo sound-alikes) for $120.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:22 am 
Expert
Expert

I'm told that TW's version of the Crescendo sounds real, real smooth. A might fine speaker by all accounts, and at a pretty reasonable price too. :D