trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triwatt in Oakland!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:49 am 
Friend
Friend

Hello and guess what I did? Bought the kit and built it. The build went very well and upon start -up I only had a few issues which I was able to fix. Ground wire to bias pot I missed, small jumper between pins of the bass pot. It is very quiet and most of my voltages look very close but I am going to post in a day or two. Transformers did not get hot.

The bias seems to be just as high as a 6V6 tube should be, but no higher. The sweep of the bias pot to one end just gets to 25 mvdc. I actually had it switched on the little toggle for setting KT66 tubes but it did not bias high enough for 6V6, only to 13 mvdc.

Okay so it is night and I can't play loud till tomorrow but I was curious about a few things:

How can a 6V6 amp sounds so clean? And loud?

I can tell this is going to be a fun amp! I have two 1x12 cabs one is a Scumback M75 30 watt 16 ohm and the other is a G12H 30 watt speaker. I also have a 2x10 cabinet with two Tone Tubby ceramic 40/40 . I think that will be a fun one!

I will post some pictures in a few days. This is a great amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:36 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Congrats! Sounds like a pretty smooth build. Hope to hear some clips soon!

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:08 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hank, welcome and congrats :D I just finished mine up last weekend :D :D

I have the exact same bias issue as you do :?

On the 6v6 setting, bias pot adjusts from 3.0mV to 11.0mV
On the KT66 setting, bias pot adjusts from 10.4mV to 23.3mV
Mains voltage is 116.8VAC

What is your voltage at the following nodes?

Junction of D6/R45/C22, schematic says should be -54VDC, I have -50.3VDC
Junction of R45/R46/C23, schematic says should be -45VDC, I have -39.6VDC

Enjoy your amp :D :P :D :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:51 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The good news is you can get the 6V6 to bias to 20ma. The bad news is, 20 ma should be about mid-range on the dial. Can you confirm your bias range resistors values please? 620K & 180K?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:37 am 
Expert
Expert

Hank S wrote:
I actually had it switched on the little toggle for setting KT66 tubes but it did not bias high enough for 6V6, only to 13 mvdc.

if it only went up to 13mV, then that was the KT66 setting.
Hank S wrote:
How can a 6V6 amp sounds so clean? And loud?mI can tell this is going to be a fun amp! I have two 1x12 cabs one is a Scumback M75 30 watt 16 ohm and the other is a G12H 30 watt speaker. I also have a 2x10 cabinet with two Tone Tubby ceramic 40/40 . I think that will be a fun one! I will post some pictures in a few days. This is a great amp.

Glad you like the amp!!! :D
jcny wrote:
On the 6v6 setting, bias pot adjusts from 3.0mV to 11.0mV
On the KT66 setting, bias pot adjusts from 10.4mV to 23.3mV

It's actually the other way round. The 6V6 setting gives the higher current. Toggle switches have a way of confusing people, since the contacts that get closed are opposite to the direction the toggle is pointing in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:16 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well then I must say this is working great!. I will post a picture soon and I have ordered Shuguang KT66 and Tung-Sol 12AX7 and I have a JJ 12at7 in v4 right now. I really can't believe this amp! It is so clean and feels more clean than a 50 watt plexi and a 40 watt fender amp in the headroom department.

Now when I read that the KT66 doesn't fit in here if it is in a regular Marshall like head cabinet I wonder if the tubes will fit but there is just a fire hazard? Maybe just need a vent above the tubes?

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:39 am 
Expert
Expert

Funny - I discussed that very thing with Stephen when ordering my head cab. The Triwatt cab is vented in the top for this very reason! As for the fit, the chassis does have to be removed to fit the KT-66's from what I understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:35 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, you have to be very careful of the inside height so you can remove a KT66 without removing the chasssis. Dont forget ! I will fit inside a JTM head inside height.

Clean yes, and you have the OD as well .
Glad you're liking the amp. Any tips you discover?

Put 'em here: viewtopic.php?t=169'

Post subject: Re: Triwatt in Oakland!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:54 pm 
Friend
Friend

So after enjoying my Triwatt for a while I sold like I do with most of the amps I build. Not suprising. But now I'm going got get it back! I have been in contact with the person who has it and we are wirking out a trade deal.

After getting it back I may put an effects loop in it. Has anyone done that? I like the Iron Sounds loop a lot. Used it in a Brown Note D'lite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:12 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hank S wrote:
So after enjoying my Triwatt for a while I sold like I do with most of the amps I build. Not suprising. But now I'm going got get it back! I have been in contact with the person who has it and we are wirking out a trade deal.

After getting it back I may put an effects loop in it. Has anyone done that? I like the Iron Sounds loop a lot. Used it in a Brown Note D'lite.

o
That may be a first! Good move! Let me know on the IS Loop. Always thought it would be nice to havethat option if it works out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hank S wrote:

Space is pretty tight in there, and with the high preamp gain levels the Triwatt has, I'd be nervous about doing that. There's a fair risk that you would get noise and oscillation problems. OTOH it would br pretty easy to insert a passive series loop, either just before or right after the MV. The extra preamp stage after the MV makes for a useful recovery stage. One of the nice features of the Hiwatt design. :)