trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:41 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Has anyone tried both Celestion G12T-75 & Vintage 30's with the Triwatt, and knows which ones sound better? I have both types of speakers, but I need to sell one set with my Marshall JCM 900 4502, so I cannot try them both myself - Triwatt is about 80% done.

I am pretty sure the G12T-75 is a speaker choice on modern Hiwatts, & the V30 has had mixed reviews with the Triwatt.

I have a 2x12" Closed Back Cab that is about the dimensions of the Mesa Dual Rect. Cab. & I will also be using with it, a 12" Fane AX12-150 in the combo cab.

My guitars are all Fenders - Strats and a Tele, with various power/style single coils.

Thanks for any help:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:46 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I have, but only with the early revs of the prototype (which were a lot brighter than the final rev). I actually preferred the V30's over the 75's with those early revs, the 75's were just too strident, however my impression might be different hearing it with the finished Triwatt...

My favourite speakers were the Fanes and Greenbacks, so if you're looking for a Celestion to pair with that Fane in your 2x12, I'm thinking a Greenback could be awful nice...

Or maybe sell one 75 and V30 with the JCM, keep one of each, buy a Greenback, and then you have options!! ;)

Hope this helps.

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:10 am 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
I have, but only with the early revs of the prototype (which were a lot brighter than the final rev).

Well, yes and no. The final production rev is actually very close to the first prototype we tested at bgroup studios. It's brighter than the penultimate prototype you heard, but not as extremely bright as the version that came before the penultimate one. Anyway, back to the discussion about the speakers.... :)

Personally, I would sell all those speakers and replace them with a pair of Greenbacks (or G12H-30s for tighter bass and more loudness) or Fane clones.
YMMV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:18 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I have a pair of G12H 30's in my closed back and it is simply stunning...in fact , I like it better than a 4X12 cab.It is a good balance of bass thump and chime. I'll let you know how it works live after I use the rig on Sat night for it's first gig!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:59 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I figured the V30s might sound better with other amps (Marshall types - In a year or so I will probably build a Trinty 18 ).

I also have heard that the G12H-30 will sound good with Hiwatt Style Amps, and if I get a 1X12" cab to go with the Triwatt Combo, it would be either a Fane Clone or a G12H-30 or a Clone of it.

The Combo will have a Fane AX12-150 in it unless either my BBQ Blue Dog, Silver Bell, or V30 sound better in the Combo.

As for the G12T-75s I didn't like their sound in open back cabs, and they were OK, but not great in Closed Back Cabs.

As for the Greenback, I understand why people like them, but I prefer a Speaker that doesn't breakup as early. I like the G12H-30 a bit better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

Note that the following comments are just my opinion. I, much like Zaphod, prefer a slightly darker tone in general.

I've tried my Triwatt with my closed-back V30 cab. I find it a little too edgy for my taste with this amp. The Triwatt (and it's Hiwatt cousins) are somewhat bright amps overall, and the V30 also being a relatively bright speaker puts things a little too over-the-top. I like this cab with darker voiced amps (Mesa's, my Traynor & Laney GH100TI) but not so much with brighter amps (Marshall JTM/JMP/JCM, Vox/Matchless, Orange, etc). I will say I did kind of like clean tones with the Trinity Deluxe I built last year through the V30 cab...at least until I dropped an Eminence Texas Heat into the Deluxe cab - turned a nice amp into a little piece of genius.

For reference, I used to have a G12T-75 2x12 that I hated because it was even more edgy. I replaced it with the V30 cab and that made a big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
bgroup wrote:
I have, but only with the early revs of the prototype (which were a lot brighter than the final rev).

Well, yes and no. The final production rev is actually very close to the first prototype we tested at bgroup studios. It's brighter than the penultimate prototype you heard, but not as extremely bright as the version that came before the penultimate one.

Well hook me up then so you don't have to keep correcting me!!! Sheesh!!! :shock: :wink:

Oh, and when I have a Triwatt in my possession again I'll do some clips with the Triwatt with all the speakers I have in my studio a la the speaker test clips I did before... :idea:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject: BBQ Silver Bell
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I am pretty sure the Fane that I have will be the speaker in the Triwatt Combo Cabinet, but I would also like to hear my BBQ Silver Bell (50 Watt - Ceramic) sounds in the Triwatt.

The V30 & Blue Dog, I have, tend to be on the brighter side.

I hope to have the Triwatt up and running in a week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Seriously Rob, if you're able to, check out some Greenbacks with the Triwatt... I hear you on them farting out early (I happen to like that sometimes myself) but with the Triwatt, it doesn't really happen like with other amps. Not sure if it's the inherent tone of the amp, or the fact that it's lower in power, but they hold up really well with the Triwatt, and they're nice and creamy. I actually like them almost as much as my Fanes...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:33 am 
Expert
Expert

Just one thing to be mindful of. Brent, you're using a 4X12 loaded with vintage Greenbacks, while I think Rob's is talking about a 2X12. So the Greenbacks are going to get driven much harder in Rob's cab, and hence will break up more and possible display their flabby bass a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Taking a chance I have a BBQ Neo Bell on order to use as a 1X12 w/ My TRIWATT. Only 3 lbs!!!!! I got the suggestion from a guy on TGP. We'll see.

Post subject: G12T75s are Going!
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:46 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well I'm putting my Marshall 4502 up for consignment tomorrow with the stock G12T-75s in it.

The V30s are currently in the cab so those will be tested first, and I will then try the BBQ Silver Bell & Blue Dog that I loved in the Marshall. No sure how they will sound in a closed cab.

I actually really like the Marshall JCM 900 4502, but I would rather have the Triwatt. I have to sell too many good things. I found some good deals on a NOS Stratocaster and Jazz Bass, so I will also sell my Carvin DC127 and my Rick 4003 Bass to make room.