Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic
Congrats on your Triwatt, mine's coming soon :D :D

Was wondering about why you did this.
Quote:
I have my Trinity 2x12 turned on its side, on a 12" riser.

Because of the stage or personal preference?, or something else?
Just curious.
Thanks
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:10 am 
Expert
Expert

I love the tone of Pinball Wizard.
I'm redoing a guitar right now, that I have a pair of Brand new Kent Armstrong P-90's (oh they're sweet just to look at, lol) for.
The guitar is all mahogany. I think she'll sound just right for this amp :D :D :D :D :D :D
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

jac wrote:
ajcoholic
Congrats on your Triwatt, mine's coming soon :D :D

Quote:
I have my Trinity 2x12 turned on its side, on a 12" riser.

Just curious.
Thanks
Cheers

Well, two reasons. The stage we play on (4 piece band) is quite narrow so I am standing pretty much right in front of my amp. If the cabinet sits on the floor, the sound goes right through my legs and I cant hear my guitar well. The 12" box I sit my cabinet on raises it to a better level, and the cab on its side puts the speakers one on top of the other, further raising the one speaker so its very easy for me to hear my guitar.

If I was standing 10 feet in front of the cab it wouldnt be an issue, but 3 feet, its an issue.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ajcoholic wrote:
Well, two reasons. The stage we play on (4 piece band) is quite narrow so I am standing pretty much right in front of my amp. If the cabinet sits on the floor, the sound goes right through my legs and I cant hear my guitar well. The 12" box I sit my cabinet on raises it to a better level, and the cab on its side puts the speakers one on top of the other, further raising the one speaker so its very easy for mew to hear my guitar.

If I was standing 10 feet in front of the cab it wouldnt be an issue, but 3 feet, its an issue.

AJC

A little off topic but...Have you ever tried one of the various "beam blockers" that are around? I know BBQ sells one and there's a different version going around using a dougnut shaped peice of foam.
Supposed to "spread" the sound around better..
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
Well, two reasons. The stage we play on (4 piece band) is quite narrow so I am standing pretty much right in front of my amp. If the cabinet sits on the floor, the sound goes right through my legs and I cant hear my guitar well. The 12" box I sit my cabinet on raises it to a better level, and the cab on its side puts the speakers one on top of the other, further raising the one speaker so its very easy for me to hear my guitar. If I was standing 10 feet in front of the cab it wouldnt be an issue, but 3 feet, its an issue.

It also spreads the sound better across the stage, when the two speakers are directly above and below each other. Conversely, when the speakers are side by side, it sends the sound out in a narrower beam horizontally, but with more sound being spread above and below the cab in the vertical plane. So having the speakers above and below is usually more efficient, and helps the amp appear to sound louder (except to anyone sitting above or below the cab :lol: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
It also spreads the sound better across the stage, when the two speakers are directly above and below each other. Conversely, when the speakers are side by side, it sends the sound out in a narrower beam horizontally, but with more sound being spread above and below the cab in the vertical plane. So having the speakers above and below is usually more efficient, and helps the amp appear to sound louder (except to anyone sitting above or below the cab :lol: ).

Good to know. My cab is going on its side when i get home. :)

I would assume a 4x12 with no tilt would disperse evenly in all directions correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, yes and no. It tends to focus the sound into a straight beam with not too much spread either side, above or below. So a 4 X 12 sounds louder to someone standing in front, even though it's really only moving the same volume of air as a 1 X 12 or 2 X 12 driven by the same amplifier.

jac wrote:

From now on it's the "something else" - it's harder for his new dog to try and jump over. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
From now on it's the "something else" - it's harder for his new dog to try and jump over.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:54 am 
Experienced
Experienced

No way, my new dog (who I named Gibson!) can probably leak over a full stack if he wanted to.. he's a purebred Vizsla.

But I dont think he'll try to knock over the Triwatt again, it scared him!

Next weekend I will be gigging the Triwatt again for another two nights (then we're off untill the first weekend of June), but with two different guitars - probably my strat and maybe my LP copy.

So far it sounds great with everything I have played through it.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 am 
Novice
Novice

Quote:
...my new dog (who I named Gibson!) can probably leak over a full stack if he wanted to...

He must have a huge bladder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

jharasym wrote:
Quote:
...my new dog (who I named Gibson!) can probably leak over a full stack if he wanted to...

Oops, I meant leap!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:00 am 
Expert
Expert

jharasym wrote:

Ha, that's nothing! My German Shepherd could wet down Zakk Wylde's entire stage rig. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

well, last night was a good one. I played the Triwatt through my Trinity 2x12 again (those alnico tubby's are amazing! - I like the pair of them better than the bomb cab I also have)

I played a guitar of my creation (dual cut mahogany neck and body with maple cap, LP scale length and a set of Duncan P rails). I played the amp thorugh the brite channel - with the master turned up a little and the brite volume down some VS the last gig. The amp continues to amaze me - it certainly cuts through anything else the band is doing! :)

I havent played my TC15 in the past month since I have finished the tri - I need to get then both going and then I can really compare them.

The triwatt certainly has a lot more mids - at least to my ears - and even with the tone controls it doesnt lose that tone. Very 70's rock to my ears... which is good!

The other thing is that it does sound a lot different with various guitars and pickups. But so far I havent heard a bad sound out of my amp.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:35 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ajcoholic wrote:
well, last night was a good one. I played the Triwatt through my Trinity 2x12 again (those alnico tubby's are amazing! - I like the pair of them better than the bomb cab I also have)

Yup, 2 TTA's are WAAAAAAAY better than the bomb IMO... ;) 8) Pretty soon I'll have my 4x10 with TTC's! Pretty excited about that too... :)

www.slyfichapel.com