trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I was planning on building a combo version of the Triwatt, but may reconsider building a head version. Hearing the amp has as many gain stages as a Soldano, and the preamp is all tube (No Marshall Diode Distortion), I am wondering if the amp will have a problem with preamp tube microphonics? I know combo amps are a little tougher on tubes, but will it be a little to tough? In the 1980s a had a Mesa SOB Combo. and it had a lot a microphonic issues, but I was never 100% sure it was the amps fault or the preamp tube quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

I was starting to get worried - we hadn't had a Triwatt post in 3 days!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:53 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, the tubes are all pretty solid ones (12AX7, AT7) and not prone to microphonics, so I'd guess it would be possible. It has sat on top of a 412 with no problems, but that's not quite the same.

However, the OD does kick in the extra gain stage and then it's go great sustain which may be a concern.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:59 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Well, I think I will make a combo cab version. As a rule I tend not to push the preamp section too hard, so I can clean it up using the guitars volume knob. If I need to push the gain "Over the Edge" I will use my old Tubeworks 901 Tube Driver.

Coco said:
Quote:
Well, the tubes are all pretty solid ones (12AX7, AT7) and not prone to microphonics

Is there a set of tubes included with the kits, (I didn't think there was) or were you talking of the 12AX7 & 12AT7 in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:49 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Is there a set of tubes included with the kits, (I didn't think there was) or were you talking of the 12AX7 & 12AT7 in general.

No, we like to leave this to the builders as many have special tube preferences. We have provided tubes sets on a limited basis. Email for pricing if you are interested.

Also note that the panel and chassis design we are using, does not allow for the amp to 'hang' upside down inside a combo.

Post subject: Combo Configuration
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Coco wrote:

Quote:
Also note that the panel and chassis design we are using, does not allow for the amp to 'hang' upside down inside a combo.

I was planning on mounting the chassis "Bluesbreaker Style - Tubes lying horizontal" in a Modified 18 Watt Marshall Combo Cabinet -18" Panel Cutout & 10 1/2" Deep vs 9" Deep to allow the KT66 (if used) some breathing room.

Would you see any problems with this configuration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No sir. that's the way to do it! Put speakers as close to bottom as you can. The KT66 will need good tube holders as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:02 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I will most likely make a 1 X 12" version of a Bluesbreaker Cabinet. (23"H x 24"W x 10 1/2"D) No sense cutting it too close with a slightly deeper 18 Watt Style Cabinet.

I don't want to cut clearance holes in the speaker frame. (Yes, I have done that before on a Tech21 Trademark 30 - My 3 year son proof practice amp. - He likes to switch the impedence switch, and disconnect speaker jacks.)

If figure the Bluesbreaker was running KT66 tubes so the depth and height of that cabinet shouldn't be an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:35 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You could probably get away with less height. We've done it with 20" albeit with the speaker mounting lowered as much as possible and the cleat cut out on the bottom.

This even fits a Tone Tubby Alnico & Celestion Blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

I usually build all my combos with a 11 or 12 inch depth. Not only does it leave more room for the speaker, but the low end usually improves as well.

Post subject: Combo depth
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:28 am 
Experienced
Experienced

rjtr wrote:
Quote:
I usually build all my combos with a 11 or 12 inch depth

I was looking at the overall tube length of the JJ KT66 (approx 5"). With that size tube and the tube retainer, you would most likely need to pull the chassis to change tubes if the cabinet was 9" deep.

I also have heard even with open back combos the deeper, the better the sound.

Post subject: Combo cab
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:22 am 

Wouldn't the chassis work upside down with a reversed faceplate ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:53 am 

Hi Folks - another maybe daft question. Basically I want to build a combo, but want to get near the original HIWATT combo look. As far as the cabinet is concerned - here in the UK HIWATT sell a Transistorised range of products called MAXWATT. Their 50W and 100W versions appear to look pretty close they are really cheap (approx £150) so what if I completely trash everything and just keep the basic cab and speaker grill. If it works then it is a really cheap way of getting a combo cabinet ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:12 pm 
Expert
Expert

Sounds like an excellent plan. But first try to do some research on the precise dimensions of these combos, to make sure the Triwatt chassis will fit in one. And yes, you could certainly mount a Triwatt chassis upside down, although you would need to change the faceplate so all the writing is the right way up with the holes in the right places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:21 pm 

Thanks for the reply, I'll go and get some measurements from my local Guitar store and post the results in case anybody else is considering.