trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:49 am 
Expert
Expert

I'm pumped! Time to start thinking about tubes I guess. I have a pair of Tung-Sol 6V6's for it already. Maybe Mullard and/or Tung-Sol re-issues for the pre (have combos of these in my V6 & 2204 projects - love them). I'll probably get some KT-66's for fun too.

I'm also looking into a pair of Fane "purpleback" clones for my 2x12 cab(probably get a matching 2x12 cab from Stephen down the road).

Post subject: Tubes & Speakers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Just ordered mine this morning
For tubes I will try the JJ 6V6s first and if I need a little more headroom I will then try the KT66 option.

I already have a Fane AX12-150 for the amp.

I will put the Triwatt and the Fane into a 18 Watt Marshall Style Combo Cabinet but with a 10 1/2" Depth (a little extra room for KT66s)

I have a 2-12 extension cab that is roughly the same dim's as a Mesa Dual Rec Cab, loaded with Celestion V30s, if I need to move more air.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

Emohawk wrote:
I have a pair of Tung-Sol 6V6's for it already. Maybe Mullard and/or Tung-Sol re-issues for the pre (have combos of these in my V6 & 2204 projects - love them). I'll probably get some KT-66's for fun too.

Just make sure the Tung-Sol 6V6s won't mind having 450V on them. Hiwatt tone requires high voltages, and we've picked a voltage that both the JJ 6V6s and KT66s will deliver at. Maybe test carefully and bias cold, and pull them out quick if they appear to red-plate or arc at all.

Stephen and I also tried a set of Tung-Sol 12AX7s in the preamp. The sound had a sweet clarity and definition, which I immediately liked. However, they were a bit on the bright side for our tastes, so the more middy JJs went back in. Original Hiwatts would tended to have used Mullard 12AX7s, which have a nice warm midrange and good overall balanced tone. So anything that sounds Mullard-like should be good in the Triwatt. I've read that New Sensor's RI Mullard 12AX7/ECC83 is nothing more than a re-labeled Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. GTs 12AX7M is also said to sound close to an original Mullard, but have had a lot of reliability issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

zaphod wrote:
Just make sure the Tung-Sol 6V6s won't mind having 450V on them. Hiwatt tone requires high voltages, and we've picked a voltage that both the JJ 6V6s and KT66s will deliver at. Maybe test carefully and bias cold, and pull them out quick if they appear to red-plate or arc at all.

Good point - I'll check into that.

zaphod wrote:
Stephen and I also tried a set of Tung-Sol 12AX7s in the preamp. The sound had a sweet clarity and definition, which I immediately liked. However, they were a bit on the bright side for our tastes, so the more middy JJs went back in. Original Hiwatts would tended to have used Mullard 12AX7s, which have a nice warm midrange and good overall balanced tone. So anything that sounds Mullard-like should be good in the Triwatt. I've read that New Sensor's RI Mullard 12AX7/ECC83 is nothing more than a re-labeled Sovtek 12AX7 LPS. GTs 12AX7M is also said to sound close to an original Mullard, but have had a lot of reliability issues.

That's exectly why I switched V1 in my 2204 to the Mullard RI - a little warmer than the TS & not quite as "gainy". I've done the same with my V6 for the same reason. I can imagine the TS would have sounded bright in the Triwatt. Judging by the clips & tone control settings it must have been a rather bright amp overall - at least in V4 trim. Darker pre's would be a better fit.

I do have a couple of the JJ 12AX7's and I didn't like them in my Marshall builds, or my Laney GH100TI either for that matter. They don't sound bad, they just added something that I didn't really like in those amps. I do like it in my Traynor CS100 though. It adds more mid presence to compensate a bit for the amps natural "scooped" character.

BTW, the Plexi V6 I build for Keith (Fortis) has TS 12AX7's and it flat out KILLS.

I've also tried the Sovtek LPS and found it to be grittier/edgier than the Mullard RI. Might just be the samples I have. I haven't tried the GT's. I've never understood the point of paying a premium for the same tubes with extra labelling added! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:09 pm 
Expert
Expert

Had a look at the tubstore review of the TS 6V6 and they say "ran a set in a slightly modified ‘59 Bassman (450 plate volts biased at about 9 watts static dissipation). No problems at all"

I may order a set of JJ's anyway though, just to be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

Emohawk wrote:
Had a look at the tubstore review of the TS 6V6 and they say "ran a set in a slightly modified ‘59 Bassman (450 plate volts biased at about 9 watts static dissipation). No problems at all"

That's real good to know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I am driving down to Toronto in a few weeks to pick mine up , and two new head cabs, and a speaker cab as well.

I guess I better start thinking of getting a set of tubes - I generally rely on what Stephen recomends as a start.

AJC