trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

OK - I've been really digging the Triwatt clips with the Fanes. I know the vintage Fane's Hiwatt was using in the 70's went out of production years ago. I also know their newer Custom series cabs are loaded with Fanes.

This leaves us with some questions:
1. What are these newer Fanes used by Hiwatt? How do they compare to the originals?

2. Is it even possible to find vintage Fanes?

3. Is there anyone making a Fane clone that's close tone wise?

I've been poking around on the web, and I've discovered that Reeves Amplification (who make Hiwatt clones) has a custom speaker made by Eminence called the "Vintage Purple" that's a Fane copy engineered from a vintage unit. Unfortunately, being OEM for Reeves, Eminence doesn't list it on their site and it probably isn't available as an aftermarket replacement. I'm wondering if "The Governor" model might be close if not the same speaker, or maybe the "Wizard" which has a more telling name...

I really should stop thinking about these things. It tends to make my wallet hurt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:01 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, first you have to find what model we're talking about here. That means someone has to open up their cab and check them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Well, first you have to find what model we're talking about here. That means someone has to open up their cab and check them out.

True enough. Do I look for the Axiom or Crescendo series, & are we talking about the alnico or ceramic version. I'm guessing the ceramic & probably the Crescendo based on the specs I've been seeing.

Maybe Brent can help me out here - I'm sure he's reading this thread! :) Do you know what's in our cab Brent?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

Emohawk wrote:
I'm wondering if "The Governor" model might be close if not the same speaker, or maybe the "Wizard" which has a more telling name...

The Governor is said to be a Celestion V30 equivalent, so it will have a scooped tone with strong high end. So I'm guessing it may sound somewhat ice-picky with a Hiwattish amp. The Wizard is said to be a G12H-30 equivalent. So it will have stronger mids and firm bass, so it may sound nice with the Triwatt or Hiwatt. I would also like to try out Eminence's Cannabis Rex some time, with the hemp cones made by Tone Tubby. It's said to be a somewhat darker speaker - maybe it has a "smokey" tone. :lol: If so, I think it would complement a Hiwatt or Triwatt real well. I would like to know if TT makes a darker speaker, similar to the C Rex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yeah - I'm thinking along the same lines Phil. I expect that's why it gets along with the Greenbacks so nicely...a darker speaker. The Fane clips are all killer though, which is why I'm investigating that option.

I see Ted BBQ has a couple of vintage Fane clones, with ceramic or alnico magnets. Checking into that.

BTW, I didn't mention it in my previous post, but I wasn't fond of the V30 clip at all. Strange for me as I like them with most amps I've tried. The only other amp I've tried with V30's that I didn't like was, strangely enough, the Orange Tiny Terror. However, I loved it with the Eminence Lady Luck in my Epi VJ cab...it's a much more laid back speaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:45 am 
Experienced
Experienced

My Hiwatt cab is the SE4123 4x12 with the original Fanes. The cab is the same as my DR103 head - 70's Hylight era. I don't recall whether my Fanes are ceramic or alnico - when I bought the cab I opened it up to confirm it was indeed Fanes in there, but otherwise I wasn't concerned with such details!!! I just took one listen and opened my wallet!! I haven't opened it since... but if you really want me to... ;)

I contacted both Reeves and Eminence about the Vintage Purples after reading on some forums that they were the closest you'll find to a vintage Fane. Reeves only sells them in cabs and won't sell them separately, and Eminence confirmed that even though they make the Vintage Purples it's a Reeves-only thing, and claimed there was nothing in the Eminence catalogue that sounded exactly like a Vintage Purple. FWIW, most of the reading I've done suggests that the new Fanes don't sound like the vintage ones, although I've never heard that for myself...

I didn't like the V30's at all with first rev Triwatt, but with the current rev, the V30's are sounding very cool when you drive the Triwatt - maybe even better than the Fanes or Greens at higher gains. So, if you're going to be gunning it most of the time, I think V30's or equivalent would be an OK choice...

TT has their newish San Rafael which is darker and Greenbackish from what I remember hearing it at Stephen's. This could potentially be a good choice...

My Greenbacks are nice, but the Fanes are the best. If you can find an old cab I say go for it!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:48 am 
Expert
Expert

Well, I may be fortunate enough to find an old cab with the "magic purplebacks" in it, but that's not to say my bank account (or good sense) will allow it to happen!

I've read that the new non-Leeds Fanes don't sound at all like the vintage ones. They're also pricey & there's only one distributor in North America. One of the BBQ (nice edit Coco... :)) clones is based on the vintage "purpleback", and at $100 USD a pop ($195 for the alnico version) it's may be a more realistic option. The question becomes how close to the original are they. I'm sure the Reeves model is the closest (especially considering the origins of that company), but $899 USD + shipping & border fun for a 2x12 is a little steep!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:49 am 
Experienced
Experienced

"border fun"... I love that... ;) :lol:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm nothing if not witty ... in that caustic/sarcastic way. :twisted:

I found a Canadian dealer for those aforementioned Fane clones. There's a model based on the mid 70's purplebacks called the "Thames". There's even an alnico version. Personally, I'd have called it the "Leeds" or some variation of that (I think that's where the old Fane plant was), but who am I...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Emohawk wrote:
I'm nothing if not witty ... in that caustic/sarcastic way. :twisted:

I found a Canadian dealer for those aforementioned Fane clones. There's a model based on the mid 70's purplebacks called the "Thames". There's even an alnico version. Personally, I'd have called it the "Leeds" or some variation of that (I think that's where the old Fane plant was), but who am I...

do tell who the supplier is...not many up here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yellow Cab Amplification in BC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 am 
Experienced
Experienced

From some reading I was doing last night, it's most likely that the Fanes in my old Hiwatt cab are ceramic if anyone's keeping score...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
From some reading I was doing last night, it's most likely that the Fanes in my old Hiwatt cab are ceramic if anyone's keeping score...

Someone was :) ...and I was pretty sure too. They used alnicos in the early models (like WAY early), but the classic 70's cabs were ceramics (for the higher power handling the 103 demanded).

The ones I'm looking at are rated at 80w. in a 2x12 that'll keep things pretty open with the Triwatt, will be plenty to deal with my 2204, and should be able to handly that 100w Laney monstrosity that I love so much, but neighbors & small animals tend to dislike...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Did someone say 212 TRIWATT Extension Cabinet??

Emo's upcoming TRIWATT matching 212 Extension cabinet.

Convertible Too - Closed or Open back. Let The Sun Shine In!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:50 am 
Experienced
Experienced

What's the size of the extension cab :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:56 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

jcny wrote:
What's the size of the extension cab

This one is 27" wX 21" h X 11.5" d. We'll see how it looks / sounds when done.
It has the thick front edge as well,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:48 am 
Expert
Expert

Way cool looking cab! I can barely wait to see it all tolexed in Hiwatt colours. :)
Emohawk wrote:
I've been poking around on the web, and I've discovered that Reeves Amplification (who make Hiwatt clones) has a custom speaker made by Eminence called the "Vintage Purple" that's a Fane copy engineered from a vintage unit. Unfortunately, being OEM for Reeves, Eminence doesn't list it on their site and it probably isn't available as an aftermarket replacement.
empty71 wrote:
To add on to this thread. I'm also keen to find a speaker similar to the Fanes and understand the closest model Eminence makes is the Tonker, which happens to be my favorite speaker. There're some complaints about the Tonker sounding fizzy with distortion, but once they're broken in, the Tonker is a very sweet speaker. Smooth, velvety highs, a touch of mids and clear definitive bass. I like :)

That's real good information to know! So maybe we've found the generic name for the Eminence speaker that Reeves Amplification is selling - or at least something pretty close to it. That description of the Tonker's tone also matches well with my impressions of bgroup's vintage Fane-loaded Hiwatt cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

zaphod wrote:
Way cool looking cab! I can barely wait to see it all tolexed in Hiwatt colours. :)

It's gonna look way cooler with my Triwatt planted on top of it!!! :D

Stephen and I were bouncing back & forth on the design for a couple weeks before I settled on this. It's based on Hiwatt's 2x12 except I decided to go with the "staggered" speaker config & the panel approach for a configurable semi-open back or full closed.

You might say I'm looking forward to it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

Think that's gonna be one awesome cab.
Can't wait the see it dressed up.
Even nekid she's beautiful. :P
RE: speakers, wonder about BBQ's 2 Fane types???
Anyone hear them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

tubetone74 wrote:
Think that's gonna be one awesome cab.
Can't wait the see it dressed up.
Even nekid she's beautiful. :P
RE: speakers, wonder about BBQ's 2 Fane types???
Anyone hear them?

Funny you should mention the BBQ Fanes...I actually have a pair of ceramic Thames (his 70's "purpleback" Fane clones) just waiting for their new home in this cab. :)