trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Meanwhile... Brent can start looking over the Tolex color charts 8)

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:46 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

So what are you saying Joe???!!! LOL! :wink: I don't think Stephen or Phil will allow #2 to be anything other than the "Hiwatt Black" tolex that was special ordered for this project! Although Stephen did mention that the same tolex was available in Orange... hmmmm... :wink: :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Noooooo :D

Not an "Orange" Hiwatt!!!

I'll get soooooooo confused :P :P :P :P :P

English amplophobia :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:20 am 
Experienced
Experienced

How about a nice Rickenbacker blue like this...
viewtopic.php?t=1224&highlight=rickenbacker

You can call it the Skywatt™ :lol:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:37 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yeah, cant you just see that on stage with Pete Townshed? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 am 
Experienced
Experienced

jcny wrote:
Noooooo :D

Not an "Orange" Hiwatt!!!

LOL! Not to worry guys - as much as I like my rainbow Trinity's, the Triwatt will only be in bad ass black! And I already have two orange amps that say, er, ah, "Orange" on the front of them!! :wink: :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm thinking of building mine and having the head cab be either "bad ass black" like bg mentions, or....and i'm leaning to it...righteous rock white !!!
with white knobs to boot.
ya, i dig that.

: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The white would look amazing, but you'd have to watch out 'cause it could show the burn marks after you start playing the thing... :wink: :lol: 8)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:23 pm 
Friend
Friend

FIRE IT UP !!!!!!!!!!!

red.....??

oh oh !!!!

:o

: )

Post subject: um, wow...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

WOW! OK... Wow. I mean, Wow... like REALLY Wow... :shock:

As some of you know, I've got the Triwatt prototype this week in my studio for testing the new iron, and to record some clips! Wow. I'm blown away by how different the new transformers make this thing sound. Like blown away in a good way... actually GREAT way... :D

I only had a chance to play through it for about 20 min. today, but here are my first impressions - the iron has upped the "toughness" ante in a MONDO Hiwatt way. If there was any possibility the Triwatt would have been mistaken for something other than a rock amp, it definitely won't now... With the new iron, the tone has more authority, is bigger, and seems to have more headroom - not clean headroom, just headroom in a general sense... kind of like if you replace your underpowered PA amplifier with a higher powered good one - the sound is just A LOT "higher quality". Same thing here. I would quantify this as now the amp sounds A LOT more "expensive". :D

A couple of other quickie first impressions - the iron seems to have changed the voicing of the amp a bit too. There seemed to be more cleans before when running it hot. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing... all of the gain is infinitely usable, and I found that running the master lower definitely cleaned things up a bit. The sound was still present and huge, just cleaner. So the new iron seems to have given the MV a lot more utility than I would normally encounter on an amp. And I hereby declare that IMO the VRM is a waste of time on this amp. The MV basically is a tone-shaping-VRM as it is!

I like the bright input more now - less about bright and more about balls... but in a bright way... The "magic setting" (first gain stage "starved" and overdrived engaged and way up!) sounds cooler than before too - before it had a rawness, now it's a little creamier a la a big ass Marshall tone. I actually think there'll be a lot of Marshalls collecting dust with this new kid in town!! This setting combined with the Hiwatt toughness, makes this thing sound like a hot-rodded Marshall... and we're talking a big Marshall here!

Anyway, the key words for today are "expensive", and "big amp tone" from the 22W little guy. :) Oh, and I almost forgot one - "exciting". That's maybe the best one 'cause that's really how it sounds... :)

Working on a few players for the clips - I think I can get a couple of short clip sessions in this week, and if the amp is allowed to live with me for a bit next week too, I can probably get another session in next week... Can't wait for you guys to hear this thing. :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:14 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I just returned from a weekend away... got to spend a few hours over at Trinity headquarters Saturday. :) Got to fool with the triwatt briefly... I am sold!

I cant wait for the kit!

Thanks for the hospitality Stephen (and Joan!)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey AJC - it was great to meet you in person at Stephen's on Saturday. Sorry I was in a such a rush - if I hadn't been, we would have fired up the Triwatt for sure!! :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thats OK - I am still a little shy playing "solo" in front of new people. What I need to do is get down there when one of the Trinity "jams" is going on. For some reason I have no problem playing with other guitarists... just when its only me.

It was neat to see the shop and listen to the other two fellows that were there to pick up there amps as well. Also, drool over Stephen's tolex jobs as well.

I think I need to order a new cab for my Tubby's....

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Kit me baby ,one more time! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
...the key words for today are "expensive",

Yes, the iron will cost more but it's 50 watt max spec'd iron used in 20+ watt amp. Obviously, it has to cost more but I wouldn't call it expensive for what you'll be getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Quote:
...the key words for today are "expensive",

Yes, the iron will cost more but it's 50 watt max spec'd iron used in 20+ watt amp. Obviously, it has to cost more but I wouldn't call it expensive for what you'll be getting.

:lol: I wasn't talking about $$ at all!! I was talking about the TONE sounding "expensive"... Obviously the new iron is going to cost more, but it's well worth it because it made the amp sound like it cost more... Perhaps I should define what "expensive sound" is to me... it's a "finished" sound. Think of it this way - for those of you that have done some recording, you know how the sound coming out of your amp doesn't quite sound as "polished" as some of the tones you hear on records? Well, "expensive sound" or "finished" to me means that what's coming out of the amp, sounds like it's coming off of a finished CD. IOW, it's the sound coming out of the amp with all the studio wizardry already applied. This is how I feel about the Triwatt with the new iron - the tone sounds like it's coming off an amazing record.

And in my best Tina Turner voice - "what's money got to do with it, got to do with it..." ;)

Spent another hour with the Triwatt today. And just so we're clear, my impressions from yesterday were based on a mere 20 min. with one guitar (PRS Mira) into one cab (Trinity 2x12 with TTA's). Today I went around the horn guitar-wise, tried almost everything. This amp REALLY loves ALL guitars - wasn't one in the bunch that didn't sound great. THE standout today was my Ric 360 with toasters - UNBELIEVABLE - put your order in now 'cause it's a 2-year wait! My Swamp Ash Les Paul Studio was incredible too. And the Strat was nailing Pete all day long (even better than the SG)!! ;)

I'm now on the search for the perfect cab for this thing. The Trinity with TTA's is awesome, but for me I just want to gun the amp all the time through this cab because the TTA's really bring out the agression and toughness in the tone. I spent a long time in the Hiwatt cab with Fanes too - this is just pure Hiwatt bliss... every "keranng" sounds like a classic record. Amazing. And I was more inclined to play clean or at least semi-clean because the Fanes are so much darker... Tomorrow I'll check out the Greenbacks - before the new iron I felt that the Greens were farting out too early, but since this thing sounds significantly tighter, controlled, detailed and more forward with the new iron, they might be just the ticket. And I'm totally going on a hunch here, but I'm betting Blues, or Golds, or something like that would KILL with this thing. Anyone got a cab they want to loan for testing??!!?? :wink:

Stephen has some tubes on the way to me too for further testing. Going to try some different combinations to see what happens. At this point though, it's a game of inches. The new iron has taken an already great sounding amp up a bunch of notches, and now we're just looking for "aaahhhhhh"... maybe we've already got it, but until we go too far, we won't know for sure! LOL! ;) :) I'll check back in once I've listened some more...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

OK, so I couldn't help myself... played hooky from my work for just a few minutes longer and tried the Greenbacks. YOWSA!!! 8) :D Best so far for me - smooth, creamy breakup. Yum! And absolutely no more farting out... they sound GREAT. :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Heh Brent!
How come everytime I read one of your Triwatt posts, I feel like having a cigarette afterwards? :giggle:
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

A 2 year wait? Really?!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

G-log wrote:
A 2 year wait? Really?!!

I'm thinkin' he's saying there's a 2 year wait for a Ric 360.

- This Space For Rent -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next